Cecil

Update on crappie feed training

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have 71 four to six in black crappies that are feed trained and are now in a floating cage. I brought them in last fall into a basement RAS that were produced in a small 1/10th acre pond. The pond was planted with brood fish that were caught via hook and line from a nearby lake. Would have had many more but make the mistake of planting fathead minnows (Pimphales promelas) in the pond, and they became so prolific there is no doubt they were competition to the fry and may have even eaten some. Live and learn. 

crappies%2052917_zpsbhu42oyf.jpg

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
ande and bcotton like this

Posted (edited)

Crappies stopped feeding in the floating cage. No idea why. No morts. Have released them free into the same holding pond along with a some bluegill in the same size range. It's hoped they will feed along with the bluegills on the surface of the pond. I've seen some bluegills feeding on the pellets but no crappies yet. 

I noticed some small toad tadpoles in the cage. Could have started feeding on those? 

Crappies were released free swimming into the pond a couple of weeks after going into the cage about the middle of June. Hadn't seen any trace of them until yesterday when I seined most of them out. They are now back into one of the RAS tanks for the winter with similar size bluegills and some tilapia. The hope is to get them back on pellets. 

They don't appear to have grown much if any over the summer but look otherwise healthy. 

My thinking is since they were hatched from wild stock it may take a few generations of selective breeding to get a better growth rate. At least I was able to get 75 of them feed trained is supposed to be difficult. 

Next spring I am going to attempt and cross white and black crappies. Black crappies are easily acquired locally and there is a reservoir not too far away where they are all whites. As a fish taxidermist the largest crappies I mount for customers are natural hybrids of the two. 

ande likes this

Hi Cecil

Next seining snap some pics please, and sheare here, I know you done it before, but they are "lost" (photobucket) so upload direct instead of 3'rd part hosts

cheers

26 minutes ago, ande said:

Hi Cecil

Next seining snap some pics please, and sheare here, I know you done it before, but they are "lost" (photobucket) so upload direct instead of 3'rd part hosts

cheers

Ande,

My problem is I don't have a functional camera right now. I usually use my wife's iPhone but she's not home during the day. I hope to inherit hers soon if she upgrades!