i am having problems with Ph

7 posts in this topic

Hi I am new to this forum and aquaponics in general.

I am having a problem with the pH. It is running in the high 8s and even into the 9s. I have lava rock that I bought at the local ace hardware and clay pellets on top. The system has been running for a couple months now but the pH is still high. I've used the tap water and put declorinator in it and that water is about 7.5 pH. I have also used rain water but didn't check the pH on that. 

My question is did I get the wrong kind of lava rock?

Hi Newbie

Welcome to APN/HQ :)

I doubt it's the lava rocks or rain water causing your rise in pH, it's more likely your clay pellets or tap water.

You can check your media, by putting some in a glass of vinegar if it fizzes (bubbles) then you'w found one potential cause.

Tap water often rise in pH as the co2 reeleases so if you measure it 24-48 houers after tapping it that might be it.

Or maybe it's your fishtank growbed ? is any of them made out of cement ?

If you can post some pics and give more details on building material etc.,it makes easyer for members to advice you.

cheers

The fish tank is just a glass fish tank and the grow bed is just a plastic tub. I thought that the clay pellets were pH neutral. The pH of the tap water is around 7.5, but the water in my system is still around 9.

Posted (edited)

Hi again

well you can exclude the tank/growbed then :)

I still suspect the tap water, and/or clay pellets

Tap water is manipulated and will often change in chemistry as it gass off.

Clay pellets can be full of alkaline residues, deepending on type, brand, manufacture, often it's enoughf to wash it out.

You will have to test it to find out.

Lava rocks and rainwater is most often pH neutral or acidic, thats why I don't suspect them.

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)

I think ive discovered the issue. I was feeding the worms in the grow bed, and without thinking put a lot of eggshells in there. I guess i need to empty the growbed and get all the eggshells out and just start over again

Hi again

I wouldn't bet on it, the water have to be high acidic to dissolve eggshells.

Did you measure your source water after declorination/aeration ?

cheers

So i guess i need to clean the growbed out then