bcotton

Texas state legislature bill to forbid local municipalities from outlawing chickens

16 posts in this topic

I live in one of the few suburbs of dallas that does not allow chickens (even dallas proper allows a couple of chickens)

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=SB1620

Sec. 251.007.  SIX CHICKENS ALLOWED. (a)  Notwithstanding
  any other law and except as provided by Subsection (b), a political
  subdivision may not impose a governmental requirement that
  prohibits an individual from raising or keeping six or fewer
  chickens in the boundaries of the political subdivision.
         (b)  A municipality may impose reasonable governmental
  requirements on the raising or keeping of poultry in the boundaries
  of the municipality that do not have the effect of prohibiting the
  raising or keeping of six or fewer chickens, including:
               (1)  a limit on the number of chickens an individual may
  raise or keep in excess of six;
               (2)  a prohibition on breeding poultry;
               (3)  a prohibition on raising or keeping roosters; or
               (4)  the minimum distance an individual must maintain
  between a chicken coop and a residential structure.
         (c)  A governmental requirement adopted by a political
  subdivision that violates Subsection (a) is void.

The bill passed the state senate 30-0 and is now going to the house... unfortunately.. i there is a big backlog of bills in the state house of representatives because they want the senate to pass a completely unrelated bill in a specific form (the senate has their own version) and until the senate capitulates the house probably wont be voting on anything the senate gives them.

regardless,  i am encouraged. its better news than no bills existing..

ande likes this

It's good to see progessive legislation around backyard food production.  I hope it gets up.

Progressive is the wrong word to use in Texas. LOL 

I support the bill. 

Yeah, I'm with you Cecil...I'm still trying to come to grips with it.  The world is an increasingly queer place.  Texas facilitates the keeping of backyard chickens and Trump pulls the US out of the Paris Climate Accord.

Cecil likes this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, GaryD said:

Yeah, I'm with you Cecil...I'm still trying to come to grips with it.  The world is an increasingly queer place.  Texas facilitates the keeping of backyard chickens and Trump pulls the US out of the Paris Climate Accord.

Gary,

However if I heard it right we can't really pull out until 2020, which is time for the next presidential election.  Apparently the pullout is mostly political so the candidate can say he fulfilled a campaign promise?  

Yep I heard it right:

http://ktla.com/2017/06/01/u-s-withdrawal-from-paris-agreement-on-climate-change-wouldnt-be-complete-till-2020/

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hi Cecil,

I'm hoping that the Trump dilemma resolves itself well before 2020.  I have too many American friends to be comfortable with what he's doing to the US...and (as a resident of Planet Earth) I'm fearful of his impact on the rest of the world, too.

Gary

Posted (edited)

On June 3, 2017 at 4:54 PM, GaryD said:

Hi Cecil,

I'm hoping that the Trump dilemma resolves itself well before 2020.  I have too many American friends to be comfortable with what he's doing to the US...and (as a resident of Planet Earth) I'm fearful of his impact on the rest of the world, too.

Gary

You are not alone Gary. I'm hoping the s***t will hit the fan this week with testimony of the former FBI director Comey and NSA director Mike Rodgers. 

That said, as the resident of a state that had Mike Pence as a governor (the present VP and person that would take Trump's place) he's just as incompetent and ruinous, but just in a different way. He was so unpopular in my state he knew if he ran for governor again he would probably not win. That's really bad for a guy whose party controls the state. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

In my view, the best possible outcome would be for Trump to get ousted and to roll the dice again.  Hopefully, the electorate would (having had the wits scared out of it) settle down to consider the benefits of social democracy....capitalism for the people if you wish.  What the US (and the world) needs is a new economic and social order that is almost diametrically opposed to the one we have currently.  It's time to care for people and the planet.

And with that, it's time to go and fuel up the pigs and make sure the runway is clear.

The bill passed house committee without amendments... man, i am really starting to get exciting thinking this is going to happen

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=SB1620

The only bad news is this bill didnt make the highlight real on the Legislature special session that has been called

http://texasfarmbureau.org/gov-abbott-calls-legislative-special-session/

Brian so what does that mean? 

i dont  really know completey i dont really know how state governemnt works.. i know it has to be voted on and passed by the house.. then i think the gov signs it and its passed

Whoo Hoo!....you could be on your way to becoming a chicken wrangler, Brian

I saw an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe was helping with rounding up chickens in the city limits of some Florida town. They were basically strays and the roosters were waking people up at the crack of dawn among other things. Probably not popular with folks that work odd hours. 

Gary if you haven't heard of this series its' where a guy name Mike Rowe goes out and helps do jobs that the average person would not want any part of. It can be quite comical. 

I just had to click a tab.. Yah, just needs to pass the house then signed by governor.

Maybe next year =/

chicken-bill.jpg

On 6/12/2017 at 0:51 AM, Cecil said:

I saw an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe was helping with rounding up chickens in the city limits of some Florida town. They were basically strays and the roosters were waking people up at the crack of dawn among other things. Probably not popular with folks that work odd hours. 

Gary if you haven't heard of this series its' where a guy name Mike Rowe goes out and helps do jobs that the average person would not want any part of. It can be quite comical. 

Yeah...we have Dirty Jobs over here, too.