kellenw

KC urban aquaponics project hooks business support

6 posts in this topic

KC urban aquaponics project hooks business support
Mar 27, 2017, 7:41am CDT 

A Kansas City project to raise fish and vegetables in an urban food desert is netting support from area businesses.
Nile Valley Aquaponics celebrated its grand opening on Friday. The project, at 29th Street and Wabash Avenue in Kansas City, is designed as a self-sustaining system in which tilapia are raised in tanks, with waste in the water used to fertilize vegetables. Products would be sold locally and the project would add jobs in the inner city.

At the grand opening, Tony McGrail, an HOK project architect, unveiled a million-dollar expansion that would add buildings and double Nile Valley's harvest to 120,000 pounds a year, according to The Kansas City Star. A fundraising campaign is underway.

Project leader Dre Taylor said he's also receiving assistance from the Barkley advertising agency and law firm Polsinelli PC. Taylor told the Star it was "the best team money can't buy, because I don't have any money."

Read More: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2017/03/27/kc-urban-aquaponics-project-hooks-business-support.html?ana=e_ae_set3&s=article_du&ed=2017-03-27&u=o3GE9ZvKZYvGto9w%2FGM%2Bh9TzxLD&t=1490645805&j=77761151

early likes this

9 minutes ago, DavidWI said:

It's great that they finally resolved their "feud" and got back rolling; but a "$1 million expansion" seems a little sketchy.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article102145112.html

Best way for getting funding is to get a great local write-up, then the big news, get ahold of it, and next you get funding from every Tom, Dick, and Harry, who wants to help bring up the poverty level of the inner cities.  Good Job, Well done.

Posted (edited)

Sure, but a $1 million expansion to double their production... you can see they didn't invest anywhere near $1 million to get where they are.  :o

Edited by DavidWI (see edit history)

I'm not involved, but I believe they are using tilapia from my hatchery (sold through Allied Aqua) and Chris at Allied has sold some equipment/supplies to them.

HOK is a major global engineering and architecture firm.  They are especially well known for the huge sports stadiums they design.  Polsinelli is a very large law firm with huge corporate clients.  Barkley ad agency is a major advertising and marketing firm with loads of big corp clients.  Assuming these companies are legitimate partners and not just loosely affiliated and being used for name dropping, the project has some impressive backing.

It'll be interesting.

early likes this