JVV

Ideal range for the various nutrients in an AP system

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, hope all has been well.

I'd like to get the thoughts on what the ideal range for the various nutrients in an AP system.   I'm sure that these levels have been discussed in various and sundry different threads, but I can't seem to find one that summarizes all the nutrient/water parameter findings and recommendations.

Hi,

That's a lot of info. Thank you. But nitrate levels less than 400? Just to confirm this part again heard above 160 is harmful for plants?

Impacts of high nitrate Nitrate is a far less toxic than the other forms of nitrogen. It is the most accessible form of nitrogen for plants, and the production of nitrate is the goal of the biofilter. Fish can tolerate levels of up to 300 mg/litre, with some fish tolerating levels as high as 400 mg/litre. High levels (> 250 mg/litre) will have a negative impact on plants, leading to excessive vegetative growth and hazardous accumulation of nitrates in leaves, which is dangerous for human health. It is recommended to keep the nitrate levels at 5–150 mg/litre and to exchange water when levels become higher.