kr3t3n

Can maincrop potatoes grow in soil-less environment?

10 posts in this topic

I've searched the Internet for answers but cannot seem to find anything about maincrop potatoes being grown in soil-less environment. Do any of you have any experience or knowledge on the subject?

My idea is to grow potatoes in 3 stages in aeroponic/aquaponic systems (depending on viability):

1. Incubator for small plants ready to become cuttings
  2. Suspended aeroponic system for maximum yield of seed potatoes
  3. Suspended aeroponic system for growing the seed potatoes to mature potatoes.

Has anyone tried growing maincrop or mature potatoes in aeroponics system? Or in aquaponic?

I was thinking of a plastic net, much like the ones potatoes are sold in bulk, attached to the tank on several heights where you would place your cuttings, with side holes for the plant stem and leafs to grow upwards. 
The plastic net (if correctly chosen) should provide structure without covering the tubers too much, leaving them no air. 

Having no other media to take up the space for growth and having top to bottom watering with nutrients might work?

Here are some drawings of the concept:  potatoes barrel net.jpg
As you can see in drawing 1, I'm thinking of securing two levels of plastic net with space in between them a bit more than the diameter of a fully grown potato. Those are inside of a barrel or a tube. 

The tube has holes on its south facing side where the potato cuttings would grow out and feed on sunlight as described in drawing 2. 

Then in drawings 3, 4 and 5 are three separate methods of watering with nutrients 
drawing 3: with a mist making machine 
drawing 4: with sprinkler type system 
drawing 5: with top shaworing system

As for the plastic net, I am thinking of something like this:  HTB1kKALGVXXXXc4XFXXq6xXFXXXO.jpg
Also, as the plants grow, they could potentially be pulled back inside the barrel (in the plastic net area where the potato growth would happen). 
If the leafy part requires some structure to climb on, I can build a wall from another type of plastic net: thumb388.jpg

And end up with a situation like this:  plastic net fence.jpg

That should provide them the area to grow and wrap around if my logic is correct.

Please share your thoughts!

Hi kr3t3n

Welcome to APN/HQ

Sorry I can't be of help with your potato experiment, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

cheers

Posted (edited)

Thanks, ande, I am still putting all of the things in my head and trying to find the best possible system to grow potatoes soil-less in a greenhouse. Any help will be very much appreciated!

Edited by kr3t3n (see edit history)

Potatoes are usually a lower priced food to buy, so I have never grown them in an aquaponic situation. Good luck with them. I'd try similar to growing Tomatoes.

Potatoes have been grown in iAVs...and VKN has grown something something called Chinese potatoes in his systems, too.  They grow very well in wicking beds...which, in my view, are a logical companion for any aquaculture/aquaponics system.

To me the question isnt can it be, but is it worth it?  If done it makes pretty expensive potatoes, in place of other scarcer veggies. I have no doubt that aquaponics can grow anything that we want to,  to me its a matter of should I grow something in favor of others. A  5 or 10lb bag of potatoes is pretty inexpensive.  Each to his own. 

Thank you guys for your posts. My main goal is to be able to grow by myself most of the food my family consumes. I realize potatoes are a bad trade-off for the time and resources invested but I prefer to be as independent as possible and that includes food. 

I am yet to build a test model. Will post any updates on here. 

One of my good friends here in India at a potato research station has been growing potatoes using aeroponics techniques. However, their focus has been on seed production.  They have been my inspirations for our own aquaroponics experiments and the continued yield trials of high value Chinese potatoes. 

Here is one of their papers.  I hope it helps you some way in your pursuits.  https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308874872_Aeroponics?ev=auth_pub

Hi k33

On 4.6.2017 at 0:47 PM, kr3t3n said:

I am yet to build a test model. Will post any updates on here. 

check this out

cheers