JVV

Solid waste removal- Help

10 posts in this topic

Hi 

I have been doing backyard aquaponics since few months, good results. I recently changed my whole set up to a larger one. I am concerned about the solid wastes. I have a 300 ltrs fish tank and grow media of quartz silica sand. I am now allowing solid waste also to be pumped to the grow bed. Do i need a seperate filter for removing solid or will the grow bed acts as the filter if i add eartworms to it?

Hi jvv90

Welcome to APN/HQ

If you choose to use your growbed, as a solids/bio filter, it will work, given that you set it up "properly" as a iAVs here

http://iavs.info/wp-content/uploads/articulate_uploads/Integrated_Aqua-Vegeculture_System4/story.htm

There is a load of info, discussions etc. related to iAVs on the forum here

http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/search/?type=all&q=iavs

If you lay out all details of your system I think it's more likely that you get experiences, advice & response from other forum members operating iAVs

Good luck with your "new" system

cheers

Thank you for the info. That was a great presentation. I have similar setup with furrows deigned in the presentation. And my fish waste is getiing collected on the furrows. But still the presentation didnt mentioned about the removal of solid waste clearly or about adding eartworms. 

Hi again jvv90

You don't remove the solids, they are a esential part of the "biofilter" function, in iAVs.

as the "schmutzdecke" http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/search/?&q=schmutzdecke  or "detritus layer" http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/search/?&q=detritus layer&sortby=relevancy builds up, the biofilter picks up phase, and it will usualy take some weeks before it starts preforming well.

No need for earthworms it's not part of the design, earthworms might invade your system, but I doubt that would be a problem in any way ?  

cheers

If we are doing commercially (in less than 5 cents area) with GB filled with quartz silica sand, do we require a separate bio-filter tank to convert all the Ammonia and nitrites? The reason why am asking is because GB itself acts as bio filter right?

I read in the above forums discussing about a separate bio-filter tank. 

JV

Hi again

13 hours ago, JVV said:

If we are doing commercially (in less than 5 cents area) with GB filled with quartz silica sand, do we require a separate bio-filter tank to convert all the Ammonia and nitrites? The reason why am asking is because GB itself acts as bio filter right?

I read in the above forums discussing about a separate bio-filter tank. 

JV

Commmercial/semi-commercial/hobby and/or type of area/location is irelevant in this matter.

In iAVs you don't need any separate filters.

If you plan to go commercial you should read vkn's thread, he is operating commercial iAVs, in your neighborhood, and is probably the most experienced active iAVs operator now (?)  

cheers

Hi,

i am facing high nitrite issuess. Let me explain you about my small backyard system.
Approx 250 litres of fish tank. 16 baby tilapias.
Grow bed with quartz silica sand as per VKN's spec.
I started with fish cycling. 
Here are the reading of PH, Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

DAY    pH     Ammonia    Nitrite    Nitrate
1          7           0                0           0
3          8.4        1                0           0
5          8           2               0.5         0
6          7.6        4                 2          -
7          7.4        4                 5         10
10        7.4        1                 5          5
11         7.4       0.25             5         20
12        7.4        0.5              5         20
13        -    -                         5          160
15        -    -                         5          160
16       7.4           0.25        0.25       160
18       7.4              -    -                    160
19         -          0.25             5         160
20         -    -                        2            -
21         -    -                        2           - 
22         -    -                        5        -
22        7.4          0.5            2          -

Please advice me how to tackle with the nitrite spike and is my nitrate at high levels, if so what to do?

Edited by JVV (see edit history)