HOW

Mystery Snail Deaths

13 posts in this topic

We have been having good luck with our golden snails for a few months now, although we are new to this adventure. They are in two closed loop systems (RAS) in the greenhouse, with plenty of shade. Recently, over the last few weeks, there have been too many dead snails showing up in one of the systems. Yesterday I found these tiny leach looking critters in the tanks. I have no idea what they are or if they could be the reason for the moralities. Our facility is in central Florida, if that makes any difference.

Does anyone have a clue what these things are and could they be causing the deaths? Here is a video: 20170124_145207[1].mp4

20170124_145149[1].jpg

20170124_145128[1].jpg

Edited by HOW
added comment (see edit history)

We have been told these are called flat worms and they are "blood suckers." That could explain the snail mortality. Now to figure out how to get rid of them and how to prevent the problem in the future.

Thanks Ande. Yeah, it's been a while.

I have registered with the UF site. Now I have to wait for their response.

I was just thinking about you the other day HOW. 

Hear anything back yet from UF. 

Don't be surprised if they don't know or don't get back to you. I don't have the best experience with a local university when it comes to health testing. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hey Cecil! Yeah, I'm still playing with aquatics, although I am not very active with posting progress. We got rid of the fish and have moved on to mystery snails. A lot easier, considering we don't do this full time. And I still have the gravel beds, but it is strictly hydroponics now.

I have not heard directly from the university yet, but I got some advise (thru a friend) from a rep of the university. We are told the critter is called a flatworm and it is a parasite, a blood sucker. He suggested we dose the system with salt. Too early at this point to judge the results. We have started physically removing the flatworms to the best of our ability. Pretty labor intensive. We put some minnows in the tanks too, in hope that they will feast on the parasites.

I did just finish building another system, using the old filter system we had used with the aquaculture (talapia in the swimming pools) system. I know you are into tinkering with new stuff, so I'll upload the quick video I made of the snail system. They are air breathers, but I find that they have a healthier shell and good color using the same filtration system I used with the fish. Let me know what you think:

Edited by HOW (see edit history)
ande likes this

They love chicken feed; laying mesh. It sinks and dissolves on the bottom where they can easily get to it. We also feed them algae tablets.

gold-mystery-snail__75355.1330674288.1280.1280.jpg

Aquarium people love them. Mystery snails. They come in a variety of colors, both in shell and flesh.

Hi HOW

23 hours ago, HOW said:

Aquarium people love them. Mystery snails. They come in a variety of colors, both in shell and flesh.

Do/can you eat them ?

Did you get any respons from UF at all ?

cheers

I don't eat them, but I guess you could if you really wanted to.

I have not heard directly from the university yet, but I got some advise (thru a friend) from a rep of the university. We are told the critter is called a flatworm and it is a parasite, a blood sucker. He suggested we dose the system with salt. Too early at this point to judge the results. We have started physically removing the flatworms to the best of our ability. Pretty labor intensive. We put some minnows in the tanks too, in hope that they will feast on the parasites.