kellenw

Aquaponics project gets funding

4 posts in this topic

Aquaponics project gets funding

WILLIAMSON, W.Va. – Christmas came early for one organization in Mingo County.

At 11 a.m. Thursday morning, U.S. Representative Evan Jenkins (R-W.Va.) held a special press conference at the Mingo County Redevelopment Authority in Williamson on the Aquaponics on AML project funding which was announced this past Wednesday.

He was joined by Mingo County Redevelopment Authority (MCRA) Executive Director Leasha Johnson, Refresh Appalachia President Ben Gilmer, Coalfield Development Corporation Chief Executive Officer Brandon Dennison, Dr. Christopher “Dino” Beckett, Mingo County Commissioner Diann Hannah, Kermit Mayor Charles Sparks, Mingo County Grant Writer Leigh Ann Ray, Delegate Justin Marcum, Senator Mark Maynard and several other invited guests.

“The Mingo County Redevelopment Authority and Refresh Appalachia are extremely grateful for the opportunity to develop such an innovative project that will promote long term sustainable agricultural initiatives. Without the support of Congressman Jenkins and the West Virginia DEP’s Abandoned Mine Lands Division, this project would have been nothing more than a dream, but through their leadership and support, we’re better positioned to diversify our rural economy and to create employment opportunities in coal impacted communities,” said Leasha Johnson, Executive Director of the MCRA.

Read more: http://loganbanner.com/news/10934/aquaponics-project-gets-funding

early likes this

"The project will receive nearly $3.6 million in federal funding to build an aquaponics farm in Kermit, allowing them to grow sustainable, commercial quantities of fish and vegetables. The project’s goal is to grow sustainable food while employing displaced workers. It is a collaboration among the Mingo County Redevelopment Authority, Coalfield Development Corporation and Refresh Appalachia."

WOW!  That's a lot of taxpayer money.

ande and early like this

Hi

1 hour ago, kellenw said:

"The project will receive nearly $3.6 million in federal funding to build an aquaponics farm in Kermit, allowing them to grow sustainable, commercial quantities of fish and vegetables. The project’s goal is to grow sustainable food while employing displaced workers. It is a collaboration among the Mingo County Redevelopment Authority, Coalfield Development Corporation and Refresh Appalachia."

WOW!  That's a lot of taxpayer money.

IMO it's a good way to spend public money, and it's not a lot of money either, if you compare with the funding available in the EU, Norway etc. on simmilare projects.

I also like the idea that they will employ displaced workers, hopefully they will gain qualifications that makes them skilled in a "new" trade

cheers

I agree it is a lot of money when you compare it to my bank account but in the federal scheme of things, a mere drop in the bucket. I hope it works out!