aswin

Comparing Gravel Bed with Sand Beds (iavs)

12 posts in this topic

comparing my old gravel bed aquaponics with new iavs beds

10 key points:

1.fish growth

2.ammonia

3.pH change

4.water turbidity

5.plant diseases

6.fish diseases

7.nutrient uptake

8.nutrient deficiencies

9.solid waste management

10.energy

IMG_20161207_085210.jpg

IMG_20161207_085216.jpg

IMG_20161207_085223.jpg

IMG_20161207_085226.jpg

IMG_20161207_085316.jpg

IMG_20161207_085410.jpg

IMG_20161207_085243.jpg

IMG_20161207_085335.jpg

ande and GaryD like this

Hi Aswin,

Congratulations on your decision to try iAVs.  

As much as I believe that you'll benefit in a very tangible way from your decision, I applaud your courage in becoming a member of what is still a select group of latter-day pioneers.  Most of all, I thank you for your wilingness to share information arising from your experience.   While we have assembled a useful parcel of infomation about what has already happened with iAVs, Mark is the first to assert that there is a great deal still to be learned....and people like you, Aufin, VKN....and a growing band of others...are going to play a critical role in building the body of knowledge and evidence that attends iAVs.

Gary

Thank you Gary...this is my 2nd Trial of iAVs soon I will convert my old 10m3 fish tank gravel aquaponics into iAVs.( after the comparing ends).within a week my iAVs water condition is far better than water from gravel bed aquaponics..and crystal clear water too...very much exited and going to build another trial with quarts sand for the first time...(now i used is river sand and water ph intact at 6.5)

comparison results keypoint 1

FISH GROWTH

Fish growth is almost same in both system .could not find any visible difference.....

On 1 January 2017 at 10:25 AM, aswin said:

Thank you Gary...this is my 2nd Trial of iAVs soon I will convert my old 10m3 fish tank gravel aquaponics into iAVs.( after the comparing ends).within a week my iAVs water condition is far better than water from gravel bed aquaponics..and crystal clear water too...very much exited and going to build another trial with quarts sand for the first time...(now i used is river sand and water ph intact at 6.5)

How does your sand stack up against the recommendations?

If your sand is draining effectively.....and your water is stable at pH 6.5...why are you considering changing?

Gary

Hai Gary...I am not changing any thing in my iavs setup.Iam talking about converting flood and drain gravel bed into iAVs sand beds....I was realised that iAVs is the best bio filteration method now exist.easy way to produce organic food too... thank you Gary for Showing interest in my small setup...

Edited by aswin (see edit history)