GaryD

In Lament of the (NZ) Farm

3 posts in this topic

If this article is correct, conventional farming is steadily being overhauled by Agriculture 2.0...the high tech approach to producing milk, meat and cheese.....with not an animal in sight.   High tech laboratories are already producing wines that get past the discriminating noses of experts.  What's next?

The article puts a negative spin on Ag 2.0....but, given the parlous state of the planet, would a reduction in farming necessarily be a bad thing?

Your thoughts?

Gary

ande likes this

Hi Gary

Interesting article IMO

On 24.12.2016 at 4:02 AM, GaryD said:

If this article is correct, conventional farming is steadily being overhauled by Agriculture 2.0...the high tech approach to producing milk, meat and cheese.....with not an animal in sight.   High tech laboratories are already producing wines that get past the discriminating noses of experts.  What's next?

The article puts a negative spin on Ag 2.0....but, given the parlous state of the planet, would a reduction in farming necessarily be a bad thing?

Your thoughts?

Gary

My thoughts

I'm not so worried about NZ-farm's and/or this "conventional farming is steadily being overhauled by Agriculture 2.0"

It worries me a bit that in the "distance" future (when Ag- 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 is a reality) conventional farming is probably considered a criminal act.

cheers

On 26 December 2016 at 8:05 AM, ande said:

I'm not so worried about NZ-farm's and/or this "conventional farming is steadily being overhauled by Agriculture 2.0"

It worries me a bit that in the "distance" future (when Ag- 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 is a reality) conventional farming is probably considered a criminal act.

There are some practices....like burning stubble/crop residues...housing livestock on concrete...the use of chemical fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides (particularly in watersheds)...that probably should be viewed as criminal acts.

As long as the global elite are allowed to commoditise food production, they will create barriers to non-industrial food production...and I guess that's what you're concerned about.  I share that concern.  The time is long overdue for the people to reclaim control over the food chain...and the water that is needed to grow it.

ande likes this