Cecil

Trout eggs are hatching!

59 posts in this topic

On January 9, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Valodja said:

Addition: now in  Croatia is -8. is it posible to raise trout in such condition in greenhouse or does ft need to be in some solid compaund (heating and cooling of air is included). in summer it can get to 35. what is trout optimal temp and O2 flow for indoor gorw?

Your winter temps are similar to mine. 

Optimum temp for trout grow out is 13 to 17 C.  I would keep in the mid to upper 14's as a compromise between oxygen and growth. Trout prefer 8 to 10 mg/l oxygen, or a better measurement would be full saturation going into the tank.  

In my flow through earthen pond I get rapid grown at 16.6 C. from top to bottom. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Valodja said:

Aha, got it.

Cecil, another question.

Any spexific food for trout? floating....

You should have available a commercial floating trout feed. For first feeding and a couple sizes up I use sinking feed. 

Aha. i get it.

What would happend if water temp galls evrn lower, say to 10C? i imagine, they would move less, eat less, and finaly poop less!? and if water get over 20...like 25!?

For O2, i know at 2.5mg/l trouts are dead. say i keep O2 from 6-8mg/l?

And i am planing to build an UVC in waterflow tank before water returns to FTs. what should i look to "kill", what microorganizmes, so relativly clean water is pumped back to trouts?

19 hours ago, Valodja said:

Aha. i get it.

What would happend if water temp galls evrn lower, say to 10C? i imagine, they would move less, eat less, and finaly poop less!? and if water get over 20...like 25!?

For O2, i know at 2.5mg/l trouts are dead. say i keep O2 from 6-8mg/l?

And i am planing to build an UVC in waterflow tank before water returns to FTs. what should i look to "kill", what microorganizmes, so relativly clean water is pumped back to trouts?

You don't want to go above 20 C. and preferably lower. Ande's right and the link above is excellent. 

Warmer water holds less oxygen and trout need lots of oxygen.  6 ppm to maximum saturation is recommended. Actually percent saturation is a better measure vs. mg/l. I believe 60 percent saturation is as low as you want to go for healthy trout. 

I assume UVC is Ultraviolet light to kill potential pathogens? Seems to me if you don't introduce any pathogens and your fish are stress free, UV shouldn't be needed. Just my opinion of course. 

I would concentrate more on keeping the water clean of suspended solids than bacteria. Trout gills are sensitive to suspended solids especially the smaller ones. They can developed bacterial gill infections. 

Some advice I can give anyone that wants to grow trout in an RAS or Aquaponics in the range of 12- 13 C., regardless of whether you have a dedicated biofilter, make sure you have more surface area for the bacteria vs. warmer temps that are optimum for the bacteria.  The bacteria is 75 percent less efficient temps of  46 to 50 F. ( 8 C. to 10 C.) vs. optimum temps of 77-86° F (25-30° C).

Temperature

The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86° F (25-30° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 50% at 64° F (18° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 75% at 46-50° F.

No activity will occur at 39° F (4° C)

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 32° F (0° C).

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 120° F (49° C)

Nitrobacter is less tolerant of low temperatures than Nitrosomonas. In cold water systems, care must be taken to monitor the accumulation of nitrites.

ande likes this

I moved the fry out of the floating baskets into the tank itself and removed the baskets. My concern was as they are growing they are getting more densely packed into the baskets and it could compromise oxygen and water flow. At first 10 percent stayed near the top of the water column while the rest went to the bottom. I think about 20 percent are now up in the water column, Hopefully the rest will come off the bottom and space themselves out in the water column. I've had this happen when I added tilapia fry to the tank and by the next day they were up in the water column. They do have 28 inches of water to climb up to for feeding. 

Battling with ammonia and nitrites again. Ammonia was 2 mg/l  and nitrites 1 mg/l today. Thankfully I am adding an ammonia and nitrite remover on a regular basis. I just wish the hell both would go back to zero and stay there! 

I'm thinking of increasing the water temp a little to possibly increase bacteria numbers. The downside is perhaps less oxygen and an increase in un-ionized ammonia, but I'm hoping I can buy time with the ammonia and nitrated remover. 

Was thinking just a couple degrees at first with a maximum of 60 F? 

Thoughts anyone? 

This morning more are up in the water column but it appears a substantial amount are just laying on the bottom still. Fingers crossed! 

Edit: O.K. looking better. More are up in the water column. Water is even clearer due to the next size up feed I am using that doesn't dissolve as much as the fry powder. 

Here's a couple of pictures I took today of some of the fingerlings which are running about 2 inches now.  Doesn't one look like he's defiantly looking at the camera? 

Can anyone tell yet which are brooks, browns, or tigers yet? 

IMG_3594%20trout%20fingerlings%20two%202

IMG_3593%20trout%202517_zpsoz2n0da5.jpg

ande and Valodja like this

Hi Cecil

Nice pics, yes one really looks like it's stearing in to the camera lens :D

Not possible for me, to tell wich is what kind.

Thanks for shearing

cheers

I built a new fish cage out of 1/8th inch plastic mesh and moved the trout out of their laundry baskets. 

IMG_3607_zpsw1svbctk.jpg

As you can see the nylon mesh was getting harder and harder to keep clean and the fish now over 2 inches needed more room. 

IMG_3604_zps80slnqze.jpg

ande likes this

Hi Cecil

Nice :goodjob:

Did you get a count or estimate on the number, when moving them ?

cheers

Did not. I'm so concerned with stressing them I just moved them as fast as possible. i will get a count when i move them to the pond in a month or so. Still far more than I need and hope that the two species and hybrid are well represented in numbers.

I will wait until they are at about 14 weeks post hatch before moving them to the pond, to play it safe as far as the potential of Whirling Disease (Myxobolus cerebralis). It's a remote chance that there are the correct species of Tubifex  worms in the bottom mud that could release the protozoan parasite, but want to play it safe. 

No WD reported in my state of Indiana but due to almost no natural reproduction of trout in Indiana due to a lack of the correct habitat I doubt anyone has been testing. 

Ammonia is no longer an issue (reads zero), but nitrites remain high. Apparently the addition of NACL and the ammonia/nitrite/ nitrate remover is alleviating that as the fish don't seen to be bothered and are feeding well several time a day along with good growth. I'm not seeing any pathology or clinical systems of methemoglobinemia aka brown blood disease. 

I'm hoping that since ammonia has dropped to zero the nitrites will soon follow suit. 

ande likes this

Trout are now in the three inch range. Look healthy but I'm concerned I may be seeing short gill covers on some. This could be due to a lot of things like water quality issues, inbreeding, pecking, damage from handling, or a vitamin deficiency. If it is an issue I'm hoping it's reversible once I get them into the pond. 

IMG_3718_zpscm36tisl.jpg

Valodja likes this

Hi Cecil

22 hours ago, Cecil said:

Trout are now in the three inch range. Look healthy but I'm concerned I may be seeing short gill covers on some. This could be due to a lot of things like water quality issues, inbreeding, pecking, damage from handling, or a vitamin deficiency. If it is an issue I'm hoping it's reversible once I get them into the pond. 

IMG_3718_zpscm36tisl.jpg

There is a interresting discussion on the matter here https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_reason_for_gill_cover_erosion_in_juvenile_Atlantic_salmon_in_aquaculture

cheers

Thanks Ande I saw that. I'd like to join that group but it appears I need a published academic research paper to do so. 

Hi Cecil

I think you can join without.

Try as a taxidermist and/or aquaculturist

cheers

On March 6, 2017 at 7:38 PM, ande said:

Hi Cecil

I think you can join without.

Try as a taxidermist and/or aquaculturist

cheers

Don't think so. They are asking for publications. 

Hi Cecil

Asking for publications, under all categories ?

Also if you try registrering in this cat. on the bottom ? https://www.researchgate.net/signup.SignUp.html

saying :

Not a reseacher

Journalists, citizen scientists, or anyone interested in reading and discovering reaserch

cheers

On March 8, 2017 at 5:55 AM, ande said:

Hi Cecil

Asking for publications, under all categories ?

Also if you try registrering in this cat. on the bottom ? https://www.researchgate.net/signup.SignUp.html

saying :

Not a reseacher

Journalists, citizen scientists, or anyone interested in reading and discovering reaserch

cheers

Thanks Ande.

cecil,

how are your trouts thisdays? Growing i presume? What size (grams), are they now? Did u had some troubles with some illness to the fish?