Stanfel2

New to Aquaponics Nation

6 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

I am new on here.  I am a fulltime firefighter and have always wanted to set up a aquaponic system and eventually would like to have a little side business in aquaponics if it is feasible.  Well I am excited to learn and set up my first aquaponic system.  Please give me any pointers if anyone has any.  Thanks in advance 

kellenw likes this

Hi S2

Welcome to APN/HQ

Pointers, well there is numrous member systems to look at on the forum

IMO a bit difficulte to pick one spesific, as they vary a lot in size, type of -crop -fish, indoors/outdoors ..............etc.

I recomend reading GaryD's online manual for a starter here http://www.urbanaquaponics.com.au/

cheers

Hi @Stanfel2,

Welcome to APN.  Great to have you with us! :)

Gary Donaldson's online AP manual is a fantastic resource, as Ande mentioned.  I'd also recommend checking out the FAO's  Small-scale aquaponic food production manual here: http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4021e/i4021e00.pdf.  It's an excellent resource also.

Of course, please feel free to post any questions you might have as you do your research/reading.  We're always happy to help.

Again, welcome aboard! :)

Hi Stan

Welcome to APN

No doubt you are eager to get going and will have plenty of questions.

When you are ready, fire away and feel free to start up a build thread of your your own.

Enjoy the experience/s

Cheers.

Hi Stanfel2,

Welcome to APN.

The Urban Aquaponics Manual will be of some use to a newcomer to aquaponics.  Just bear in mind that the current edition is over four years old....and the 4th Edition is long overdue for rollout. 

I'd also recommend the iAVs site...for information on the integrated aqua-vegeculture system.

Gary