kellenw

Innovative learning through aquaponics at South Dallas high school

3 posts in this topic

Innovative learning through aquaponics at South Dallas high school

DALLAS - It is not every day you hear about fish being used to fertilize the food you eat. At Skyline High School in Pleasant Grove, that is what some students have been learning about all semester.

Their horticulture teacher, Shawn Coyle, said aquaponics, their unique way of planting, could help lead to new jobs in a changing industry.

Take a school of fish, and combine it with a class of curious students. It is a combination that is planting seeds for a unique lesson, where fish are fertilizing the foods many people eat.

Students in Coyle’s wildlife class are from communities across Southern Dallas. Neighborhoods, the teens say, where they never imagined 100 catfish and 70 goldfish could replace soil.

“We have never thought that. When he brought it up, it was kind of crazy a thought,” senior Lauren King said. “How can we plant stuff with fish?”

Continued: http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/education/innovative-learning-through-aquaponics-at-south-dallas-high-school/353159387

early and ande like this

I like the timing of this news, so let me post this here.

I am meeting a team of school board trustees today and would be discussing about a large-scale school aquaponics project after the site visit. This is a project to be run by the teachers and over 500 students..possibly the produce would be used in breakfast and midday schools meals plus at their old age home, some 100+ inmates.  Both the school and the old age home is run by a non-profit NGO.  That is in brief.

1. What would you like to see in this project? 

2. If you were the aquaponics mentor/consultant of this school aquaponics project, what all things you would take care before/during/after its implementation?

I welcome all thoughts and I assure you the useful ones will be put across the table today for consideration. Thanks in advance and I appreciate your responses.

early likes this

Hi @vkn:

Sounds interesting.

1. I think the best goal is to make the project applicable to the math and science curriculum of the students. Lots to learn about chemistry, biology and physics in an AP system and huge amounts of data to collect and analyze for those in mathematics classes.

2. I would draw real clear goals with education being the main focus and food production as a secondary charitable and awareness thing.

kellenw likes this