Cecil

God I feel stupid at times

6 posts in this topic

Got my iron filter all programed via a tech over the phone but having issues understanding what I must be doing wrong to get the initial backwash working properly. Sending pictures back and forth to tech support but in the mean time I've briefly flooded my basement and had a valve fly at me at high speed striking me in the chin. Glad it didn't hit my eye. 

My local plumber bailed on me when it came to getting the thing running. 

I feel like I'm at least above average in intelligence but when it comes to technology I have to wonder… 

If I had to do all of this over I would purchase from someone in the region that specializes in it and have them do it turn key. I saved money by ordering the unit on line, but have to wonder if it was worth it.

Anybody ever feel this way?  

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
bigdaddy likes this

Well the tech finally came to the conclusion that unit is defective and is sending another one.  It's made by Pentair. For some reason I don't have luck with Pentair products. 

Well I guess you don't have to feel stupid anymore.  Hope the next one works out for you.

There have been many times I have DIY'ed something and wondered if I would not have been better off having an expert in the field do it for me.  In fact that advice  was on one of the tape sets I owned decades ago on a tape called the Richest man in Babylon.

bigdaddy and Cecil like this

Oh no I have plenty of other reasons to feel stupid. Might be because I started 1st grade at the age of 4 and always felt like I was trying to catch up. LOL That does't do much for self esteem growing up. 

Well got the new part and that part works fine. Have a new problem. The computer circuit board went haywire and the initial backwash to clear the media won't stop. :wacko: Had to shut the valves off to the iron filter to keep it from backwashing indefinitely. 

I will be making a call tomorrow and see what gives. Tried to set the circuit board back to default mode but it's not really cooperating. The time on the board just keeps counting down and back again. Sure glad the trout eggs aren't here yet. :blink:

I wish I would have bought and had it installed locally, although my plumber doesn't do much with iron filters or softeners. I once rented an iron filter from the local water softener company and it was a joke. The resin was ineffective in no time. 

This also makes me want to build an improved version of my present DIY iron filter that follows the KISS principal and is cheap to build. I think catalyitic precipitation of iron and manganese by coating something with iron hydroxide is overlooked. I have a an iron filter that will produce 70 gallons of iron free water in four or five hours that way, and I haven't cleaned the filter in a year. Problem is the water gets warmed up in the process so it's not conducive to trout. 

On 11/21/2016 at 8:50 AM, Cecil said:

Well got the new part and that part works fine. Have a new problem. The computer circuit board went haywire and the initial backwash to clear the media won't stop. :wacko: Had to shut the valves off to the iron filter to keep it from backwashing indefinitely. 

I will be making a call tomorrow and see what gives. Tried to set the circuit board back to default mode but it's not really cooperating. The time on the board just keeps counting down and back again. Sure glad the trout eggs aren't here yet. :blink:

I wish I would have bought and had it installed locally, although my plumber doesn't do much with iron filters or softeners. I once rented an iron filter from the local water softener company and it was a joke. The resin was ineffective in no time. 

This also makes me want to build an improved version of my present DIY iron filter that follows the KISS principal and is cheap to build. I think catalyitic precipitation of iron and manganese by coating something with iron hydroxide is overlooked. I have a an iron filter that will produce 70 gallons of iron free water in four or five hours that way, and I haven't cleaned the filter in a year. Problem is the water gets warmed up in the process so it's not conducive to trout. 

Good that everything is fine now. There is a time when I have difficulties as you. Keep trying and never give up.

Cecil likes this