GaryD

2016 US Presidential Elections

31 posts in this topic

Hi,

I know it's not wise to raise religion or politics in most discussions but, today, my thoughts are with our American friends who are going to the polls in what can only be described as the most bizarre of circumstances.

Regardless of the outcome, this election will have consequences for the entire world but, once the votes are cast, this revolting sideshow will, at least, be over......and we should all be thankful for that.

Good luck!

Gary

ande likes this

I'll second that.

But no matter the outcome, as long as my VA check arrives the first of the month, and my 2 other retirement checks arrive, I'm OK even if the Devil wins.

At least every Monday, it'll still be "Chicken Mole day"

This "side-show"  is no way  a temporary phenomena.  It's not some anomaly or a bug.  It's a feature - by design.   The mental midgets and hate filled fear-freak monsters deliberately provoking the "bizarre"circus of hate obsessed "deplorables" now terrorizing the nation (and ultimately the world at large) are a permanent feature of the US and these 'dark' forces have now been deliberately unleashed - IMO.  They are not only not going anywhere but will become increasingly more problematic by the hour, day, week and year(s).  IMO, this is a permanent and now rapidly escalating condition provoking an accelerating vortex of angst and despair in thoughtful people.   You can't fix stupid and you also can't be unaffected by a pandemic of wanton insanity.  Some significant fraction of the US actually "want" apocalypse - literally pray for 'their' Armageddon - and IMO this has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Duck and cover and/or lock and load.  Sad, SO sad ... but true.  The feces have already been deflected by the revolving impeller and the resultant trajectories will impact on ALL of us - assuming they haven't already impacted.  Regardless of who so-called "wins" ALL of us loose.  The one true statement that Ayn Rand ever wrote is "You can avoid reality but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."  The Grim Reaper is smiling, 'his' future is so bright he has to wear shades. 

GaryD, Old Prospector, ande and 1 other like this

Well the voters have spoken, although I'm sure the loser will probably have won more of the popular votes than the winner.  Seems like we've been here before when we elected the last dimwit that got us into two wars and wrecked our economy.

I see Putin was the first one to congratulate the man of orange. No surprise there as he had his hand in our election, and was probably laughing hysterically as people swallowed the so called leaked emails veracity 100 percent. 

I have to wonder if he will last four years though, and he will soon certainly find out that getting congress to do what he wants is ilke trying to herd cats, which I suppose may be a good thing this time around. We'll get Pence as president at some point in the next four years, which isn't much better. Nothing worse than a wolf in sheep's clothing that pretends to follow Christ's ideals and is nothing of the sort. I know all about the man as he is from my state of Indiana. 

BTW there will be a lot of people that will deny they voted for Trump in the next four years. A lot. 

I'm not a big Clinton fan but Trump? Seriously?  I voted for Sanders in the primary but the voters spoke on that too. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

BANGOR, Maine (AP) — The bitter defeat in the presidential race has many supporters of Democrat Hillary Clinton shell-shocked in Maine.

Among them is Stephen King.

King, the best-selling author, tweeted early Wednesday that he's going offline, saying there will be "No more book recommendations, politics, or amusing dog pictures for the immediate future. I'm shutting down."

Before the election, King criticized Republican Donald Trump, and on Election Day he described the presidential race as "the ugliest election in living memory."

Clinton conceded defeat early Wednesday and congratulated Trump.

Mainers split their electoral votes: Clinton won the statewide vote, collecting three electoral votes, but Trump won in the 2nd Congressional District, collecting one electoral vote.

I, accept Stephens Kings shutdown.

Welcome (not really) to the Fourth (and Final) Reich.  The Four Horseman are saddled-up and the barn doors are fully off their hinges.  The inmates are now in full ‘control’ of this asylum.  

Read a year or so ago that all or most of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and other senior military in the Pentagon had declared/pledged that if ‘Orange Hitler’ was ‘elected’ that they would all resign their commissions en masse.  False Bravado much?  Even though I’m a Vietnam-era veteran and a pacifist, I’d actually prefer an actual military coup before inauguration day.  Wondering if these arm-chair warriors have ANY gonads at all.  And here I had thought that the entire purpose of the ‘greatest’ military that the world has ever seen was to protect the nation against tyranny and oppressors - i.e., “… to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic … ”.  They’ve all sworn a solemn oath to that effect.  Now we’ll see if they meant it or if they’re just decorated chicken-poo self-serving lying hypocrites writ large - or not.

BTW, any and everyone who may have actually voted for this moronic megalomaniac monster is my mortal enemy.  Any and all sane primates remaining must rise up as one against wanton insanity, national and global suicide immediately - albeit I'm fully aware the americant's (sic) are far too greedy, scared, self-deceived and cowardly to do anything of the sort..

Cecil, GaryD and Old Prospector like this

57 minutes ago, DavidWI said:

Yeah, we won!  :lol:

Won what? A con man that has failed at everything he's done except conning people, and was born with silver spoon up his ass is now going to the country? And the man doesn't even have any class. He's a blowhard. 

Please guys, did any of you hear Clinton/Obamas speeches to day ?

Trump is elected president in the USA like it or not, but respect the outcome he did not elect him selfe.

Just my opinion on how to act as fellow country men

cheers

Well, the Acceptance speech Trump gave last night/this morning was full of America coming together and did not have the bluster of his campaign speeches/rhetoric.  I think Americans need to remember the true power is in the congress and the last 8 years should really have highlighted that.  I think Americans have become numb to bluster and campaign promises that are never realized as no one person really has that much power.  Anyone recall  "read my lips, No new taxes".

It is interesting that while Trump won the Electoral vote , he lost the popular vote.  Anyone else think it's time to overhaul the government/election system?

That said, Ande how do I apply for a visa to Norway, the Canadian servers went offline...

Hi,

Trump's win will fuel the political pundits, media/journalists and comedians for years to come.  I read the election outcome as a rejection of the two party system.  We've had similar protest votes in Australia - and she's still rattling cages in Labor and Liberal National Party (conservative)  circles - but nothing on the scale of the 2016 US election.

I can think of no better opportunity for Americans to take back the freedoms lost in the Post-9/11 fiasco.  If the politicians and lawmakers (and, yes, they are different people) fail to grasp the real reasons for the election result, they could find themselves unemployed again in four years.  All the voters will have to do to Trump is the same thing they just did to Clinton.....and keep doing it until the penny finally drops.

Of course, all of that assumes that civil war or a nuclear holocaust doesn't interfere with the process in the meantime.

Isn't this nice?  Here we are talking about politics...and nobody has had to have their arse kicked for bad behaviour.

Remember folks.....it's the post and not the poster.

Gary

ande likes this

Hi Ravnis

6 hours ago, Ravnis said:

Well, the Acceptance speech Trump gave last night/this morning was full of America coming together and did not have the bluster of his campaign speeches/rhetoric.

Indeed

7 hours ago, Ravnis said:

I think Americans need to remember the true power is in the congress and the last 8 years should really have highlighted that.  I think Americans have become numb to bluster and campaign promises that are never realized as no one person really has that much power. 

We got that explained in a thread 3 years back 

It shouldn't be a problem for Trump thoug  as the Republicans hold the majority in all houses after this election

6 hours ago, Ravnis said:

It is interesting that while Trump won the Electoral vote , he lost the popular vote.  Anyone else think it's time to overhaul the government/election system?

I think variations of this is commonly found in most western governement/election systems ? Value of a single vote will deepend on the voters home adress.

7 hours ago, Ravnis said:

That said, Ande how do I apply for a visa to Norway, the Canadian servers went offline...

Us citizens don't need a Visa to Norway

Persons who do not need a visa to visit Norway (visa-free)

Some people do not need a visa to visit Norway because they hold a passport from a country that Norway has a visa exemption agreement with. This also applies if you have a residence permit in an EU/EEA country or if you have a special passport.
Cecil and Ravnis like this

Hi everyone,

I generally like to stay clear of Australian politics, let alone American politics  (as I don't know a single thing about American politics)...Can't help but to throw this into this discussion.

Don't worry, a lot of the lunacy Donald Trump has sprouted won't come to pass....Unless the senate and congress says it will...And that will only happen if they(people other than the senate and congress) allow it......According to what George Carlin had to say...

Enjoy this video ...

WARNING: Bad language alert...

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)
ande and Ravnis like this

20 hours ago, Cecil said:

Well the voters have spoken, although I'm sure the loser will probably have won more of the popular votes than the winner.

We've had the same here in the  South Australian elections for years...

In fact, comparing the U.S. federal elections with The AUS federal election, the choices seem similar...Who do you vote for? The two major parties have nothing but bad to offer so you end up voting for fruit cakes, because you feel the fruit cakes will do a better job than the alternative. Maybe in the U.S. the voters felt similar and that's why Donald Trump won.

In Australia all the so called experts were predicting Hilary Clinton would win...You would hear them almost unanimously sing that tune out...Now they are analysing and coming up with all sorts of reasons of why Donald Trump won...Why can't they just say "I was wrong"...Hypocrites...The lot of them...

Over the last couple of weeks over here, we heard over here that Donald Trump may not accept the result, because he said it was rigged...Hmmm...What changed his mind? Why did he accept the results then lol :)...

Cheers

13 hours ago, Ravnis said:

Well, the Acceptance speech Trump gave last night/this morning was full of America coming together and did not have the bluster of his campaign speeches/rhetoric.  I think Americans need to remember the true power is in the congress and the last 8 years should really have highlighted that.  I think Americans have become numb to bluster and campaign promises that are never realized as no one person really has that much power.  Anyone recall  "read my lips, No new taxes".

It's easy for the victor to say, hey lets come together blah blah blah. I don't remember hearing that from republicans when Obama was elected. I do remember hearing the senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell, saying he was going to make Obama a one term president. 

The naive thing is you think the tiger is going to change his stripes just because if his acceptance speech. Seriously? Have you see the things that have come out of that blowhard's mouth in the last year and a half? And let's just ignore that and look at his life. The guy has failed at about every business venture he's undertaken, filed bankruptcy at least four times, and cheated on every wife he's had including the present one. Oh and don't forget he hasn't paid any taxes in decades. And you expect him to somehow miraculously become an exemplary CIC? LMAO

Oh but he's rich right? How do you know? We never did get to see his tax returns.

Hi Cecil

21 minutes ago, Cecil said:

It's easy for the victor to say, hey lets come together blah blah blah. I don't remember hearing that from republicans when Obama was elected.

It's common courtesey, and they both did

McCain a great one, Romneys more ordinary IMO

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-11-08/concession-speeches-a-brief-history-of-keeping-it-classy

Oh the congrats from Putin is also common courtesey,

On 9.11.2016 at 3:25 PM, Cecil said:

I see Putin was the first one to congratulate the man of orange. No surprise there as he had his hand in our election, and was probably laughing hysterically as people swallowed the so called leaked emails veracity 100 percent.

Our primeminister did hers long before Putin and so did a lot of other State leaders,  I gues they weren't sent on the TV stations you watch ?

There is a load of voters that never turns out and vote in our western democrasies, for different reasons how about blaming them, instead of those that won ?

I could personaly never have voted for Trump, but he was the Republican candidate and he won, 

I have no problems to respect that choise, no mater how much it amazes me

cheers

He's an expert entertainer , how much or worse he is at business I don't think anyone outside the courtrooms he's been in will really know.   I'm reminded of what my sensei told me about Okinawa.  It was a small island country in a prime farming spot , so it was constantly being invaded by different countries.   They didn't care who was in charge as it would change like the seasons. They just learned to bend like bamboo and stayed alive.

My first trainer in my  first technical job  had this phrase he would utter  every time a new supervisor took over.  "Cows may come, Cows may go, but the Bull goes on forever".  Apropos now?

I do wonder if this is how the Germans felt when Hitler first came to power...

Cecil likes this

A couple of questions to think about...Who has more money? and who spent more money on this election campaign?

The Clintons or Donald Trump?

Here's a segment to show Hilary may not be as squeaky clean as we may be led to believe. Listen to this.

Enjoy.

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/leon-byner/aussie-government-tips-millions-into-clinton-slush-fund

Cheers.

Old Prospector likes this

OMG not this again. The Clinton foundation has been rated A by two separate independent agencies. Gives 90 some percent of their funds to the cause and NOT administration fees. That's better than most. And there is ABSOLUTELY no evidence the Clintons make any money off of it. NONE. The accusation is the Clinton gave favors to donors while Secretary of State. No evidence of that either, just partisan conjecture. 

Donald Trump's foundation doesn't, and it looks like a scam through and through and he has personally benefited from his foundation. He hasn't donated to his own foundation in years, but the Clintons donate on an annual basis to theirs. Trump doesn't do anything for anybody unless it benefits himself. 

Trump's university scam and his foundation scam will be up on the court dockets soon. The guy is a con artist and America will find out soon enough. Americans that voted for him were duped. Mostly low information and Rupert Murdock's FOX NEWS viewers. To think a self centered aristocrat has the lower income and education voters in mind…? That would be funny if it wasn't so pathetically naive.  

https://www.charitywatch.org/ratings-and-metrics/bill-hillary-chelsea-clinton-foundation/478

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/sep/23/politifact-sheet-comparing-clinton-and-trump-found/

On November 10, 2016 at 4:22 AM, bigdaddy said:

Hi everyone,

I generally like to stay clear of Australian politics, let alone American politics  (as I don't know a single thing about American politics)...Can't help but to throw this into this discussion.

Don't worry, a lot of the lunacy Donald Trump has sprouted won't come to pass....Unless the senate and congress says it will...And that will only happen if they(people other than the senate and congress) allow it......According to what George Carlin had to say...

Enjoy this video ...

WARNING: Bad language alert...

Cheers.

I liked George as a comedian but that video is nothing more than a conspiracy theory. He should have stuck to being a comedian. 

Politics I love it lol...

As I say, I know nothing about American politics and this is just an uneducated view of an outsider looking in

I thought that clip was nothing more than comical anyway, but there seems to be things to think about in it, and I wouldn't read to much into the other segment I put up either, again..There seems to be things to think about in that, just trying to even it up a bit and enhance the conversation.

I think neither are on the level. I also thought Hilary appeared the lesser of the two evils. Which is not saying much.

Hilary certainly knew the ropes of U.S. politics Donald looks like he doesn't know a lot at all...but...The people of the U.S. have spoken and it's apparent to me he appealed more to the people of the U.S. with seemly infinitely less resources and money at his disposal, yet he tactically outmaneuvered her and won, which in my book was amazing.

Don't worry, you guys had an actor as a popular president as well (and it was in an infinitely different world with little terrorism, and less of the complex matters I know,but...). Life goes on, although maybe not as we know it now.

Another thing I can't work out...The American people have voted someone in, yet some are protesting against that....They're not protesting against any actions taken, just against what has been said... What's with that?

Cheers.

3 hours ago, bigdaddy said:

Politics I love it lol...

What's with that?

Cheers.

What you should ask is what did AU gain from the millions of dollars that were sent to the Clintons? 

How did it benefit AU?

Edited by Old Prospector (see edit history)

Sir Edmund Percival "Ed" Hillary KG ONZ KBE (20 July 1919 – 11 January 2008) was a New Zealand mountaineer, explorer, and philanthropist. On 29 May 1953, Hillary and Nepalese Sherpa mountaineer Tenzing Norgay became the first climbers confirmed to have reached the summit of Mount Everest.

Hillary Clinton says her mother name her after him when she was born, but Sir Hillary didn't climb the mountain and become world known, until she was 6 years old.

Edited by Old Prospector (see edit history)