DaveWick

RBC Filter

So I've wandered into availability of several RBC filters and was wondering if anyone had experience with these (Cecil, I think I saw a post of yours referencing these on another forum)?

Mine are about 6' long and 2' diameter.  I'd like to get an idea of sizing these and how they compare equivalency to MBBR (other than how much space they take up, which isn't an issue for me right now).  Also what the optimum rotation rate is and how deep they should set in the water.

21 minutes ago, DaveWick said:

So I've wandered into availability of several RBC filters and was wondering if anyone had experience with these (Cecil, I think I saw a post of yours referencing these on another forum)?

Mine are about 6' long and 2' diameter.  I'd like to get an idea of sizing these and how they compare equivalency to MBBR (other than how much space they take up, which isn't an issue for me right now).  Also what the optimum rotation rate is and how deep they should set in the water.

Dave,

I have three of them in the garage right now I don't use. If anyone wants to buy one or three and you're willing to pick up I can give you a great deal! Tried to sell them on the Aqua Ohio Yellow Perch Forum but got no interest.

The reason I don't use them anymore is the larger surface area they require. I just don't have a lot of floor space in my basement. 

As far as optimum rotation I've seen that vary in literature. I rotated mine very slowly. 

Anyway I think they are great biofilters, and I've had two people in the aquaculture field tell me they have more "useable"  surface area than a moving bed filter. Both were big believers in RBC's and one even manufacturers them. I think what they mean is, the shearing of the media rubbing against itself in the barrel reduces the usuable surface area, although the literature I have read, says that is a plus as it shears off old bacteria that is not as efficient and allows new to form. 

Another advantage is there is virtually no head loss if you run water through a tank with an rbc

Another disadvantage other than the larger footprint, I did think they collected a little more floc in between the panels than i wanted.