Cecil

Anybody use a commercial nitrifying source of bacteria

12 posts in this topic

to start a biofilter faster than normal? I have plenty of biofilters with cycled bacteria, but have opted to start from scratch with my biofilter for my trout. I just don't want to take the chance of any pathogens or bacteria transferred from my other fish species. 

I've ordered a couple of pints of the following and figured it was worth a try as it's not that expensive. Would like to see if can cut the fishless cycling time down a couple of weeks. 

http://pentairaes.com/proline-bacteria.html

I was assured it will work in the colder water but slower and require more media surface area.  

I have an extra separate sterilized moving bed filter that I had started adding ammonia, and will add this stuff as soon as I get it tomorrow. If I get my trout eggs before the filter is cycled I will depend on flow through until it is. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

We start our bacteria colonies with aged manure compost tea. Want to feed them stand over the tank and take a P. they love it, and smile with pleasure.

22 hours ago, MT Mind said:

I used API Quick Start for my patio iAVs, but I'm pretty sure it had expired.

Did you get it at an aquarium store? I'm guessing that kind of stuff can just sit there forever and get expired. I'm hoping coming from Pentair AES they are more conscientious about that. 

I did, and it was on the shelf at home being used in the indoor aquarium for an undetermined amount of time. I picked up a new bottle shortly thereafter, but the system had cycled by then.

I jumped up the temperature in the cycling tank (off line from fish system for now) to the lower 80's to speed cycling even though the trout tank will be in the mid to low 50's. My thinking is the sooner I get it cycled the faster I can use it, although it will have to adapt to the colder water. 

Looks like I will be flow through for a while until I can use the media. 

It's been four or five days now and no reading of nitrites. Perhaps I wasted my money? 

I do have an aquarium heater in the biofilter to warm up the water. My plan is to pull the heater when the biofilter is cycled. 

Funny thing is the water has the musty earthy smell of nitrifying bacteria.

2 hours ago, Cecil said:

It's been four or five days now and no reading of nitrites. Perhaps I wasted my money? 

I do have an aquarium heater in the biofilter to warm up the water. My plan is to pull the heater when the biofilter is cycled. 

Funny thing is the water has the musty earthy smell of nitrifying bacteria.

Save your money, use some compost tea, natural nitrifying bacteria.

Nitrites started showing up today. Actually not bad considering it's been about five or six days. The literature I've read says once nitrites show up you are half way there. 

MT Mind likes this

Nitrites are exploding and ammonia gets converted fast. Looks like I may be cycled soon. I guess the commercial source did work or other factors are at work. 

The media is doing great at temps of about 53 to 55 F.No ammonia or nitrite readings.  I'm very happy with the results. 

ande likes this