pe2016

Ponds and iAVs

2 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm currently in Uganda working with an NGO that wants to add some vegetable production to their current earthen tilapia ponds. Originally I was thinking aquaponics, but I recently heard about iAVs and was impressed with its simplicity. We don't have electricity here, so I'm trying to keep power requirements minimal and use solar. I've read that iAV can work with ponds but haven't found much detailed information on designing a pond iAV system. What are the differences between iAV with a pond instead of a tank?

The NGO currently has a 100,800 L earthen pond with no mechanical aeration and a low stocking density of tilapia. Since the pond is so big, I don't want to recirculate the water as much as in a fish tank. How much water (what flow rate) should be pumped with each cycle? Also, if I have a lower stocking density than with tanks, should I still use the recommended 1:2 fish water to sand bio-filter volume or should it be less? That would be a lot of sand. Thanks!

Here's a picture of the pond.

IMG_20161014_074948823[1].jpg

Hi,

iAVs was developed with places like Uganda in mind so there's no question that it work.  Having said that, even in its low tech format, it does have some requirements.

It will not realise its potention simply by attaching sand beds to your large pond.  Take at look at this article to get a sense of what iAVs might look like in a developing country.

Gary