Cecil

Should I start over on bio media for trout?

2 posts in this topic

Due to things out of my control I finally was able to free up the tank I will hatch trout eggs in and grow out fingerling trout to be planted into my outdoor flow through pond in the spring. One of the reasons was, I'm still waiting for four high schools I supply recirculating aquaculture systems to, and fish, to get their tanks cycled. I moved the yellow perch and bluegills outside to a floating cages. The tilapia are still inside in another tank as the water is getting too cold outside for them. 

Anyway sterilizing the tank and components is a given, but I will need some cycled plastic media for the trout as I plan on keep the water temps down with a chiller and periodic water changes. 

I'd like to use the same media I used for the tilapia and yellow perch, but have to wonder if I will add any parasites or nasty bacterial critters the trout are not accustomed to by using the same media, and should start fresh with not only a sterilized system but sterilized plastic media.  I also question how effective a media is that has bacteria accustomed to high 70's F. (mid 20 Celcius) water that will have to do their thing in water in the low to mid 50's F. ( 10 tp 13 Celcius). From some literature I have read they probably aren't even the same strains of bacteria. 

I think my best option is to sterilize everything and get a cycle going separately by adding ammonia while I hatch the eggs with periodic water changes. Then when the media is ready put it on line. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Decided to sterilize everything including the media. Used a buttload of bleach. So much so in the biofilter tank I was producing foam up the whazoo. After several water changes after letting everything soak with bleach I rinsed everything off and let dry. Today and tomorrow I will be doing my plumbing.