remout

IAV Grow Box Wood Help

5 posts in this topic

Am I correct in thinking that pressure treated lumber is okay to use for an IAV grow box? Doesn't the liner protect the sand and water from the chemicals in the lumber? Down side here would be if I tore the liner the sand and water would be contaminated.

My other option is old growth cypress, it's Mother Nature's protected lumber. Insects don't like it and it's very rot resistant. The down side it that it's very expensive.

Your thoughts please!

Hi Remout,

The science around pressure treated timber is hazy to say the least.  

In Australia, we can buy two types.....one is treated with arsenic and the other uses a different process.....which is not toxic and is more expensive....but not much so that it would be prohibitive to use for a couple of grow beds.  In any case, using a thick liner (they come in different thicknesses) is the solution to any toxicity question.  In the unlikely event that you holed the liner, the movement of water would be out rather than in.

Your other option would be to use 3/4" plywood and 4" x 2" lumber.....as we demonstrated in the presentation on building sand beds.

Gary

19 hours ago, GaryD said:

Hi Remout,

Your other option would be to use 3/4" plywood and 4" x 2" lumber.....as we demonstrated in the presentation on building sand beds.

Gary

Gary,

Can you send me a link to that presentation?

Thanks!

Bob

43 minutes ago, remout said:

Can you send me a link to that presentation?

Thanks!

Bob

Can't send you the link, but less than 50 miles from you is a Lumber co, that has Cypress Plywood

Cajun Cypress and Hardwoods, 14251 Brown Rd, Baker, LA 70714

Otherwise use a Marine grade plywood, or

HDO or MDO plywood, this is the Sign material your State Hwy dept. uses.

As for treated wood, they don't make the one that had Arsenic in the formula, and is EPA approved for garden raised beds.

What my students use is a 12 ga, 1.5" sq tubing with 10mm PVC Coroplast signage material. By the way after the frames are built and welded we take them to the Galvanized plating plant and they Hot dip them for us.

By using Coroplast no liner is needed.

Edited by Old Prospector (see edit history)
remout likes this