kellenw

Dream of fish farm, community garden turns into fight

9 posts in this topic

Early this summer, tomatoes, cucumbers and cabbage grew lush on the corner of 29th Street and Wabash Avenue. Free pickings for the neighborhood. Strangers came together here. They grabbed tools and pitched in, sharing hot work, good talk and cold water. They believed this place special — an oasis in a rough part of town. The locks on the gates changed that.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article102145112.html#storylink=cpy

early, crsublette, mortys and 1 other like this

Seems like this is a reoccurring pattern within these non-profit aquaponic outfits (Viridis and Green Acres come to mind as well). Displaying a naivety of humanity in that always thinking the best of people and so they assume only the best will be done for them. Then, due to lack of due diligence, comes back to bite them resulting in unscrupulous actors taking control of the operation.

I think lack of business savvy on Taylor's part is what screwed things up. He just wanted to "Hope for the best, Plan for the best" rather than "Hope for the best, Plan for the worst."

If it were me, I would have made sure the land lease, with explicit support by Johnson's parents and Key's committee, was properly written so that this could not have happened with Harrel Jr. strong arming the land, thus controlling the aquaponic's operation, away from the operation's original intent.

Sounds like Johnson's kid, Harrel Jr., is quite a "black sheep" considering how the parents have publicly admonished their kid.

Unfortunately, unlike heaven, we live on Earth where everyone are not Angels and so good people must be prepared at doing or planning particular actions, for the betterment of humanity, so these "less than Angelic" characters do not screw up this place.

Edited by crsublette (see edit history)
mhaigh likes this

8 hours ago, kellenw said:

Early this summer, tomatoes, cucumbers and cabbage grew lush on the corner of 29th Street and Wabash Avenue. Free pickings for the neighborhood. Strangers came together here. They grabbed tools and pitched in, sharing hot work, good talk and cold water. They believed this place special — an oasis in a rough part of town. The locks on the gates changed that.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article102145112.html#storylink=cpy

The trouble with this article is that it is happening all around the USA.

Myself and a few other growers were approached by a Enviro group in 1995 timeframe, to set up a similar situation. But we had a lawyer draw up some legal documents to protect our interests. When we presented it to the Enviro group, they ran so fast backwards and said for us to forget the whole project.

crsublette likes this

2 minutes ago, Old Prospector said:

The trouble with this article is that it is happening all around the USA.

Myself and a few other growers were approached by a Enviro group in 1995 timeframe, to set up a similar situation. But we had a lawyer draw up some legal documents to protect our interests. When we presented it to the Enviro group, they ran so fast backwards and said for us to forget the whole project.

Bingo, because that Enviro group had ulterior motives.

Ya'll did it the right way...

6 hours ago, kellenw said:

Glad to see the land bank has done its due diligence so to prevent the greedy non-profit organization (apparently driven by Harrel Jr.) from having the final word.

I hope Harrel Jr. stay hard headed, causing the deal he made with the land bank to resolve thus losing the land to the land bank.

Seems like the land bank's mission is to make the property productive in the community, which Taylor appears to be the leader in doing this. I hope the land bank will help Taylor find a better partner to help make the property productive for the community, rather than for a greedy non-profit organization.

Edited by crsublette (see edit history)

I agree Ande.  We'll see how it goes.  They still have a major uphill battle facing them, but I wish them the best of luck.