Cecil

Method of choice to remove snails and sterilize?

11 posts in this topic

I have a population residing in the hollows of my plastic media in my biofilter. Amazing but they seem quite at home in the rough and tumble of the circulating plastic media! Not an issue with the tilapia, bluegills, and yellow perch in the system as they move into the fish tank itself they are immediately consumed. However run that system for a short period of time without fish and the tanks walls are covered with snails! 

The think is, I will be hatching and rearing trout in that system, and although I will do a full sterilization was wondering what my method of choice should be once the fish presently in he system are removed. I don't' want snails attached themselves to the eggs or even a remote possibility of the trout getting some kind of parasite or pathogen from the snails they are not adapted to. 

I have at my disposal a stock solution of potassium permanganate, bleach, and can easily obtain copper sulfate. I realize I will have to start all over again with cycling the media. 

Maybe treat with copper sulfate first, drain, refill, and then with bleach or PP? 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Don't know anything about removing snails, but maybe this might be useful.

snail control

Looks like lime to  rapidly raise the pH is effective according to the link.

Raising the salinity will usually keep them under control to a point but it won't eradicate them.  I've heard of some people using dimilin successfully but its not approved to be used on fish for human consumption.

Had a snail problem, too.  They got EVERYWHERE and clogged up everything.  Bought a half dozen assassin snails from a pet shop and turned them loose in my fish tank.  Don't know for sure what finally worked to get rid of the snails, but since I've converted from gravel based FD to iAVs I have no more snails (knock on wood).  I do know the assassin's were at least part of the solution .... I was finding plenty of empty snail shells.

On 8.9.2016 at 7:21 PM, early said:

I've heard of some people using dimilin successfully but its not approved to be used on fish for human consumption.

Cecil´s trouts aren´t consumed they get stuffed :lolu:

cheers

Cecil likes this

I know this is an old thread but wanted to share my method: a product called "No Planaria" its a Betal Nut Palm Extract that's safe for fish/plants/shrimp/human (as long as you're not over dosing-such as dumping into tank every day for a year).  Note this may kill beneficial worms in your system, and it kills all snails so if you keep a snail(s) for algae eating/decorative remove it and don't put it back in the system until a large water change after treatments are done.  I have used this in my small aquaponics setup-40g breeder with goldfish.  Killed my bladder snail infestation (I removed my msytery snail(pet) during treatment), no effect on plant/fish/husband (who ate the lettuce grown in there).  Note the common pond/bladder snail (and other fast breeding snails) lay eggs so plan to do 2-3 treatments spread out over 1-2 weeks to kill first batch, then any eggs that hatch (the extract doesn't kill eggs).  you can find the product on eBay and probably a few other sites.

Cecil likes this

12 hours ago, early said:

@Cecil,  Did you solve your snail problem?

Yes and no. I have now added bluegills I seined up from one of the ponds, and if previous experience is any indication the snails won't last long once they migrate to the fish tank from the biofilter. Once the water warms up in the ponds I may move the bluegills and crappies (other species in the tank) to a floating cage and sterilize the entire system with bleach riding the snails once and for all. 

Snails are gone in the fish tank. Bluegills snarfed them up!