bigdaddy

Social media and how it works for you.

5 posts in this topic

Hi evryone,

I thought I'd start a thread on the different tyes of social media available today.

We have Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Linkeden and forums to name a few.

I'm wondering what media people use and what they use it for. 

I use forums for "traditional" give and receive information. The type of media which you use when doing a hobby, such as aquaponics, driving and build or adding to particular branded or types of cars, and making and drinking coffee .

I use face book as a light hearted enjoyable show and tell form of communication, messenger as a means of communication between each other for instance message my friend to meet me in town for coffee, Twitter, I never really understood or got that one, Likeden as a form of networking for business. Blogging I never got into.

There's a few thoughts on different types of social media.

Feel free to explain how certain types of media works for you if you want.

I found face book very good for renewing old aquaintances and freindships We have had several high school reunions sing facebook as a primary source of communication.

I was wondering what other people think.

Cheers.

I started using Facebook reluctantly as an advertising tool for my frozen fish sales to taxidermists. A website just for taxidermist I use is lucrative but there are so many for sale items that within a day they are on the second page and within a few days buried several pages. 

Turns out the pages that seem applicable on Facebook are so so for advertising. It's more of site for renewing acquaintances etc. like you said. 

Would have responded earlier but rarely come to the lounge. My apologies. 

BTW the reason I said reluctantly is so called friends were posting political garbage that was not only unfounded but against my views. I got tired of it and after three attempts finally deleted my account. So I left but now am back. I know how to deal with so called friends now and don't have to read their garbage. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hi Cecil,

No need to apologise for not responding earlier mate...I was just throwing the subject out there for people to talk about if they want...It's all good...

I must admit I'm very strict in the "moderation" of my facebook timeline...I have a very broard range of "friends" ranging from fundamentaliy religious people involved in the high level leadership of certain churches, political people involved in Australian politics right through to middle class people and even the lower socio econmomical people in Australia, so I don't swear on it, I do not comment on politics nor get involved in political conversations, I'm also careful of posting certain items especially the ones I find funny and have swearing in them, I can maybe remember one post which had a rough word in it. I have little if any tolerance of people who hop on my timeline and say and get involved such things, but I will say, people who do know me actually respect my wishes and "behave" themselves....Well, in that manner anyway lol...I rarely have the need to take down items and I haven't had the need to block people all the time I've been on facebook.

I actually enjoy facebook, seeing what my friends are up to, looking at their holiday snaps and videos etc or what they are doing at home etc

I'm thinking about opening a linkedin? account...Do you know anything about that?

Cheers.

Cecil likes this

I've only been involved with Facebook for a relatively short time (although I've had an account for years) and I'm finding the experience interesting.....if not entirely satisfying.  There is no question about the fact that Facebook has taken traffic from discussion forums.

All of the things that I was told about Facebook when I started have proven to be true....the most relevant one being that Facebook is not as good as a forum when it comes to storing and finding information.  Having said that, Facebook is improving (in terms of what it can do) and the search function will get you to most things.  Forums lose their edge if they are not managed well (in terms of encouraging discussion and archiving threads) and none of them is managed well.

One area where Facebook really shines is its capacity to put information in front of lots of people very quickly and cost effectively.....even though search engines don't touch it.  We've been experimenting with bringing iAVs to a wider audience and the outcomes are interesting to say the least.

The biggest issue that I have is remembering to post frequently enough.....should be at least daily.  

On September 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM, bigdaddy said:

I'm thinking about opening a linkedin? account...Do you know anything about that?

Cheers.

I don't but I don't believe they are totally honest. I say that because I keep getting emails that say so and so would like to be linked in with me and it's not true. If a social network does that I don't want any part of them.

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)