Cecil

Back to the topic of iron filtration for continuous flow...

13 posts in this topic

I have no problem producing iron free water for make up water for my small scale RAS', but will need continuous flow iron free water this fall to hatch trout eggs and hold and grow the fry and fingerlings until March. Flow will be as little as 1 gpm for the eggs to as much as 5 to 8 gpm for the tank if I decide to go with flow through. 

Have been juggling around various options and may have settled on an iron filter similar to the following:

http://www.budgetwater.com/pyrolox-filter/

I have contacted the company to see about filter sizing etc. but like the idea that the media also handles manganese and hydrogen sulfide (not much in my water), and doesn't need to be recharged with Potassium Permanganate like greensand. It's supposed to last for years without change needed although I'm sure it's less with continuous flow. But if it can work for me for a few months that is all I need before the fish are liberate into the outside pond. 

I was going to go a DIY approach with vigorously aerating the water in a barrel and the running it up through a DIY sand filter that is backwashed manually but like the idea of automatic backwashes with the above. Addtionally I'm not sure my system would be as effect as I want it as the micron size of iron is quite small. 

Thoughts? 

And I have one dilemma solved: I have to order a minimum of 3000 trout eggs, which is way over and beyond what my flow through pond can handle once they are up to an average size of 5 lbs. upon harvest. Was able to find an individual that will buy the excess eggs from me. 

Doing a back and forth with the Terminox supplier with questions. And my local plumber will hook the filter up for me. He even offered to supply equipment for crimping a plex line free of charge. In that case may not need to hire him. 

I'm in the process of measuring available flow by timing between on and off clicks of of the pressure tank and measuring flow etc. Messed up though as I used a faucet associated with the pressure tank itself.  Tomorrow I will use another nearby faucet. 

My geothermal heating and cooling unit may complicate available flow. Need to find that out. Hopefully not. 

I'm off to buy a kiddy pool for $10.00 discounted at the local hardware store. I think I will use that to keep the initial fry in until they are transferred to a larger tank. 

Edit: May have changed my mind on the kiddie pool due to concerns about plasticizers and mold inhibitors. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

A major snafu. Just noticed the LED on the head part of the iron filter I ordered is damaged. May not have noticed previously due to poor lighting. Or I may have done something to it but don't recall doing so. Hopefully the company will send me another one, but it not I guess I'll have to buy another one. Sorry about the blurry pictures but my camera must be biting the dust as it's not taking the best pictures anymore. 

Plumber hasn't come back yet after taking a look to see what was needed plumbing. Said I needed it by November 1st but they can work it in to their schedule. Could have done most of the plumbing but a few parts of this are not clear to me. 

IMG_1542_zpszidp2eop.jpg

IMG_1544_zps6y8eesm1.jpg

Budgetwater is sending me another chipboard free of charge. That saved me about $150.00. Great company do deal with.  Plumber was supposed to come out today but had to go home with the flu. 

Iron filter is plumbed in. Just waiting for the plumber to come back out and tell me how to run the the darn thing. I'm not dumb by any means (I take self scoring I.Q. tests for fun in competition with my twin), but the manual is not user friendly and it's designed as a water softener. The controls don't  make any sense to me.  Plumber wanted to take the manual to his desk and go through it with no distractions. 

Will add pictures soon. 

29 minutes ago, Cecil said:

manual is not user friendly

Sounds like the new Rules concerning AP Organics from the NOSB.

Gary will have to add 20% compost and 1% rock dust minerals to get IAVS = soil.

Photobucket is down AGAIN for maintenance.  Will have to post pictures later. 

2nd day and 3rd time on maintenance in the last few days. Me thinks they have been hacked. 

I'm getting my third circuit board sent for my iron filter. First one the LED part was damaged, Second one went haywire, and hopefully the third one is a charm.  Not making me a big fan of Pentair products, but I was never that impressed with the company before. Their small scale fish systems are way overpriced. 

Don't know where the others parts were made, but the circuit board is made in Mexico.  Hard to find anything made in the U.S. anymore and usually the quality is inferior to U.S. made products. 

Company has been good on trying to make it right. They do have techs 7 days a week to answer the phone. No problems with the company. I should have hired someone local and had it put in turn key. 

Iron filter is working flawlessly. Backwashing every morning at 6 A.M. and producing gin clear water on demand. 

ande likes this