MT Mind

Soylent - Pro GMO

13 posts in this topic

Soylent constitutes about half of my diet, so I'm particularly interested in what's in it.  The makers of Soylent continually make clear what they use, how they use it, and why they chose it to begin with.  This recent post on their blog seems bold in the current climate of Anti-GMO/All-Organic/All-Natural/Anti-Engineered food, but it's just business as usual at Rosa Labs.

http://blog.soylent.com/post/148000076992/proudly-made-with-gmos

Hi MT Mind,

I find this interesting...

How long have you been using it?

Since using this product, have you noticed any difference in the way you feel? 

The GMO argument reminds me of the sugar and fat argument. The people saying each is bad for you and the reports of the big companies paying experts to bring out so called eveidence and studies "debunking" such statements, deliberately confussing and mudying the waters until in theory no one knows what is good or bad.

From what I've seen, the politics of GMO's seem every bit as complex.

Having said that I have tried juicing for a short time without either added sugars and fats and felt very good after doing it, I have dieted natually and been reasonablly sucessful  but really not noticing any difference apart from my mental state being happier because I lost weight, and can see no downsides at the moment of trying Soylent in my diet to see if I do feel better, not that I feel bad ATM, and if I'm getting the nutrients in my body that I need, that has to be good. 

Cheers.

Soylent has been basically half of my diet for a couple of years now. Of course, when I started they were on Soylent 1.2 and The shipment I just received is my first batch of Soylent 1.6.  Soylent 2.0 just came out this year, and it's a ready to drink liquid, as opposed to the powder mix I use.

Since I started, I haven't noticed much difference in how I feel overall, but I didn't start it because my diet was terrible either.  We don't eat out very often, and my wife is good at balancing our meals (she's a stay-at-home mom).  I started for the convenience: you make a batch in the evening, put it in the fridge overnight, and in the morning it's cold and ready to take to work.  I take half to work the first day, and the other half the next day, one liter each.  The Soylent usually lasts until the end of the workday, and I have a regular supper with my family.  It's not unlike the diet we give to our fish: a balanced staple every day, and a little variety on top.

The one major thing I have noticed is the lack of migraines.  I used to have them pretty often, and I could never pin down the cause.  They were bad enough that I would be unable to keep food in me or get to sleep, and sometimes I would miss work.  Since I started using Soylent as my staple, the migraines are few and far between, and they're usually less severe than they used to be.  I'm guessing there was either something missing from my diet, or too much of something in my diet that was triggering them, and now the balanced intake from the Soylent moderates the variations in our conventional meals.

One thing I often have to point out for people is that Soylent isn't a diet food, a supplement, or a meal replacement; it's just food.  It's intended to simply be a balanced staple food with a neutral flavor profile, so people can integrate it into their diet however they like.  Many people have lost weight by using soylent because it makes it easy to know just how many calories you're getting by measuring the volume of the meal.  My 1 liter bottle gives me 1000 KCal, but I have no idea how much I got from a plate of lasagna or a garden salad.

The "debate" over GMO foods is a lot like the "debate" over vaccinations causing autism.  All it took was one BS "study", intentionally designed to mislead with carefully cherrypicked data, and now you have people all over the place who refuse to have their children vaccinated.  People are strange about what they believe.  It seems they get so excited about the idea that they know something that other people don't realize, that somehow they're the clever ones and everyone else are the suckers who have all been duped, that they look right past the slight of hand and the erroneous data.  And then, once they have the belief, you can't do anything to show them the truth.  There were people here, people I work with, who honestly believed that the six or so Wal-Mart stores that shut down around the same time were being confiscated by the government so they could be used as holding areas for dissidents when President Obama declared marshal law.  As though six Wal-Mart stores were expected to be more than adequate to hold everyone that rebelled when the president dissolved the government and established himself as a dictator.  And later, as those Wal-Mart stores completed their remodeling work and reopened, and it became painfully clear that nothing of the sort was about to happen, did they admit that perhaps they were wrong?  Absolutely not! And how dare you insinuate anything of the kind!  Clearly, the President and his underlings called the whole thing off because they saw that we knew about their plan, which cost them the element of surprise, but it's still coming!  They're still gonna take our guns and force us all to have gay marriages and eat GMO foods and get vaccinated!

Ah, Texas.  It's almost like the entire population of the state is descended from the same married couple, with no outside genes for centuries.

I got off topic there somewhere.  Anyways, I recommend Soylent because it's convenient and nutritionally balanced.  If you try it, be prepared to flavor it, because it's doesn't really taste like much of anything.  Many find that undesirable, but I don't care because I only eat to stay alive, not for pleasure.  Like a Boss!

ande, Ravnis and GaryD like this

That's interesting about the reductions in migraines.   Might have to give a try.   Though I noticed that when we stopped eating out so much and cooking our own food , that the missus and I have had less issues with that as well.  What do you use to flavor yours with?

The cherry picked data made me laugh.  Had noticed the same thing over several decades.  The study that water caused cancer is one of my favorites.  The truth is fought tooth and nail, but a lie is quickly and easily believed.

FYI , not everyone in Texas is illiterate and brain dead, just the one's that watch Fox "news" AKA propaganda, though it's not the only source.

I don't flavor it yet; I haven't really gotten around to experimenting with flavoring.  I tried a couple things early on, but since it's inconvenient to flavor less than a day at a time, I end up tired of the flavoring by the end of the day.

And yes, I know there are plenty of intelligent people in Texas; there just aren't very many in my part of the state, so I tend to get frustrated.

Yeah, that's the difference between people who watch movies and people who read books.  In the original book Make Room! Make Room! Soylent wasn't people; that was added for the movie.  It's named after the food in the book because it was the engineered staple food that was responsible for feeding the world's exploding population.

Edited by MT Mind (see edit history)

1 hour ago, DavidWI said:

Maybe so, but I'll bet a lot more people saw the movie than read the book.

Of that, I have no doubt.

I might try some, if we can get it here from there, and flavour it with juice if I don't like the way it tastes with no flavour. I wonder...Could you flavour it with coffee? or would it ruin the taste of the coffee like soy milk does?

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

The idea of an engineered 'just add water and shake' nutritionally-balanced powdered food is an interesting one.....and one that I'd be prepared to try.

It's not that I don't like food.....it's the exact opposite.....I love food.....to the point where I eat too much (starting with all of the wrong types).  

Starving refugees, troops on the move, adventurers of every type, minimalists - and fat buggers like me - would benefit enormously from the portability, predictability and simplicity of the idea.

One of my major concerns would be the taste. I can taste sweetness in food that others (particularly most Americans) tell me is 'definitely not sweet'....and not in a good way.  I wouldn't care how bland Soylent was....so long as it wasn't sweet.  One of my favourite comfort foods is oatmeal cooked in milk. 

If I was to try it, I'd have to get it sent to me from the US since I don't think it has been released in Australia yet.

10 hours ago, MT Mind said:

And yes, I know there are plenty of intelligent people in Texas; there just aren't very many in my part of the state, so I tend to get frustrated.

I understand your concern in this respect.  I only know of two Texans that appear even remotely intelligent (against the dozens that are anything but)....and that's Ravnis and you.   While the jury's still out on you ;)....the thing that gives me hope is that you have a sense of humour (twisted as it is).....not something that I've often experienced in Texans.

Gary

The jury may be out for some time; I'm still trying to balance my Mensa membership against how many times I've locked my keys in the car.  I've only been in Texas for 13 years, so there's a lot of Iowa before that.  I brought my twisted sense of humour with me when I moved, and it's gotten me in trouble more than once since then.

As far as the Soylent goes, I'd be happy to ship some your way at cost, but I have no idea what the shipping cost would be.  I pay US $7.71 per bag for it, shipping included, but that could easily double or triple for all I know.  With respect to taste, I'd have to say it's like a neutralized oat flour when it's plain.  There's just not a whole lot of taste to it, and that's by design.  Of course, it changes with every revision; I'm still drinking 1.5, but I've received my first batch of 1.6.  I don't know how "sweet" it is, since taste is so subjective, but when I was trying flavors, I used Hershey's chocolate syrup a few times, which is very sweet on it's own, and the chocolate Soylent tasted like unsweetened dark chocolate.  Whatever sweetness the Syrup had was all but lost in the mix, presumably absorbed by the oat and rice flours.

There are a number of flavoring threads on the Soylent Discourse (forum).

4 hours ago, MT Mind said:

The jury may be out for some time; I'm still trying to balance my Mensa membership against how many times I've locked my keys in the car. 

I can relate to that.  I'm evidence of the fact that, the notion that the decline in one's physical is offset by the accumulation of wisdom....is nonsense!   My most recent demonstration of how clever I am was a torn ankle ligament that I acquired while filming my small recirculating aquaculture system with an iPad.  I was so determined to get the necessary detail in the footage that I stepped sideways off the verandah....with predictably painful results.

I can also relate to the problems that arise from using humour around people who don't appreciate it.....but I think that's their problem rather than mine.

Thanks for the offer on the Soylent thing....I'll PM you on that.  I would much rather use the neutral stuff like you've got and flavour my own if I felt the need.