ande

common quail (Coturnix coturnix)

38 posts in this topic

Hi Ande,

Can you tell me more about the quail dish that features the drumsticks in the saucepan?

When you pluck the quail, do you scald them in hot water?  It makes removal of the feathers so much easier.

Re your current hatch.....resist the urge to tamper with things.  The effect of the higher temperature in the early part of the incubation will probably be to provide two distinct hatches from the same batch of eggs.  I'd suggest that you keep things going for at least a couple of days longer that you would otherwise have done.

The usual effect of high temperatures early in the incubation is to have chicks appear earlier than usual.....followed by a protracted hatch later.

The effect of lower (than appropriate) temperatures early in the incubation is to delay the hatch.....and will still result in a protracted hatch.  The only real difference is the start date.

The long term answer is electronic temperature control......as distinct from the ether wafer and micro-switch that is more usually found on incubators.....particularly the cheaper ones.

I'm happy to provide any information that you need.   I've been working with quail for over 30 years and I love them.  Their potential for integration into food production systems is enormous.   While I still have about 20 jumbo quail here, at the moment, we're just maintaining them.....but I'm hoping to get back into active development with them in the coming weeks.  Our next move will be to capture their manure and move them to a homemade ration.  Long term, I'd like to integrate them into a food production system like iAVs...but replacing the fish with quail.

Gary

Hi Gary

16 hours ago, GaryD said:

Hi Ande,

Can you tell me more about the quail dish that features the drumsticks in the saucepan?

When you pluck the quail, do you scald them in hot water?  It makes removal of the feathers so much easier.

Re your current hatch.....resist the urge to tamper with things.  The effect of the higher temperature in the early part of the incubation will probably be to provide two distinct hatches from the same batch of eggs.  I'd suggest that you keep things going for at least a couple of days longer that you would otherwise have done.

The usual effect of high temperatures early in the incubation is to have chicks appear earlier than usual.....followed by a protracted hatch later.

The effect of lower (than appropriate) temperatures early in the incubation is to delay the hatch.....and will still result in a protracted hatch.  The only real difference is the start date.

The long term answer is electronic temperature control......as distinct from the ether wafer and micro-switch that is more usually found on incubators.....particularly the cheaper ones.

I'm happy to provide any information that you need.   I've been working with quail for over 30 years and I love them.  Their potential for integration into food production systems is enormous.   While I still have about 20 jumbo quail here, at the moment, we're just maintaining them.....but I'm hoping to get back into active development with them in the coming weeks.  Our next move will be to capture their manure and move them to a homemade ration.  Long term, I'd like to integrate them into a food production system like iAVs...but replacing the fish with quail.

Gary

The drumsticks dish is based on a duck confitt , we had/made a duckbreasts dish he day before ,just to get the needed duckfat . :bbq:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confit#Meat_confit

so cooked in the duckfat mixed with seasonal homegrown herbs, at around 70-75 C ,for 4-6 houers whilst making all the other dishes.

Actually my favorit amongst all the dishes yum-yum :)

Yeah we scalded the quails they where "easy" compared with a lot of other birds however still a big job and my hand/finger joints aren't as strong as they used to before lymes, so I'w bought a featherpicker as I preefere the skin/fat on any birds I eat.

I will report  on that  picker, when I'w tried it out

Yeah today it is  like a ants nest in the incubater :rock:  I'll resist starting to move any untill tomorrow, by then the first hatchers need water/feeding, so I will  have to

disturb the late hatchers then. Anyhow it's looking good right now.

Yes I know you will help as allways and you allready have by your microponics blog :rock:

Recomended reading ,for any quail newbee , like me allso the old quail post/threads, on here is gold , even with pictures lost it's still good reading stuff IMO

cheers

Hi again

Well the last quail badge (ca 200), has started to hatch eggs themselfe now, so time to sort on gender and decide how many to keep/cull

Allready got a steady stream of +/- 30 eggs a day, so maybe slaughter half or all of them, and replace some "old" with the last hatch.

Won't hatch more untill spring time.

Gary when you put the boiled eggs in vinegar what strenght do you use ? and does it change the taste ?

cheers

Hi Ande,

I assume that you're talking about using vinegar to dissolve the shell.  If so, the vinegar will change the taste of the egg....it ends up slightly pickled. 

Shelling the eggs is fiddly work but here's some ideas that I found that might make it easier for you...

That's certainly easier and faster than it would otherwise be....and it gets easier if you leave the eggs in the water for a minute or two before peeling them.  This gives the water a chance to seep into the cracks and further loosen the shell fragments.  Then there's this one.....

Then there's this method.....where they steam the eggs rather than boiling them.  They claim that makes them easier to peel.

And here's the Microponics article that I wrote.

Gary

ande likes this

Thanks Gary

Yeah it's from reading your micro blog on Quail eggs earlyer, I learned about vinegar as a method to peel the eggs.

We have differente sthrenghts here I can get 5%, 7%, 9% and 35% in the local store, what strenght do you use ?

On 19.11.2016 at 9:11 PM, GaryD said:

Hi Ande,

Then there's this one.....

And here's the Microponics article that I wrote.

Gary

Shaking them in a box with water as shown in the second video really made it easy (fast) to peel/clean the eggs, I cleaned 50+ eggs in no time/effort whilst watching the news yesterday . :)

Might not need the vinegar method

Thanks.

Hi Ande,

I'll adopt the shaking method, too...if it's that quick and easy.  I like quail eggs freshly boiled - or pickled - but not half way between the two.

Gary

Hi

On 22.9.2016 at 0:13 AM, ande said:

I´w bought a featherpicker arriwes tomorow as i found the picking job to time consuming,

I/we (my daughter and her boyfriend) picked 30 by hand, when I culled the lot, I tossed the rest (25) in the freezer, with feathers on, as I decided to buy one, durring that culling proces.

cheers

Well at first I was really disapointed with the plucker, it tor the skin on the 25 when testing it. :(

GOPR6803.JPG

Then I tossed in 2 fresh culled from today and it worked brilliant :thumbsu:

1 minute in the plucker, and they came out like this

GOPR6806.JPG

:bow:

A plucker is a must have, what a cool invention

cheers

I've never seen such a little plucking machine.  I love it.

All of the machines that I've owned previously have been similar in construction - but larger.

Effective defeathering of birds with a drum plucker is a combination of scald temperature/duration....plucking duration.

Can I ask the brand of the machine...and where you purchased it?

Edited by GaryD (see edit history)

Hi

It is a nice size 14,4 kg

I bought it on sale (NOK 2400,-) by mail order from here https://www.vidaxl.no/p/141634/elektrisk-fjaerplukker-med-98-plukkefingre-27-cm

I have seen them much cheaper on alibaba china free freight.

However, I want the consumer protection & warrenties, that comes with it buying from a company that is registered in Norway

I see the company I bought it from (Dutch) also do Australia https://www.vidaxl.com.au/

Don't know if they sell them in AU

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)

Hi

:jig: new record

GOPR6826.JPG

cheers

Hi Ande,

I stumbled across this little machine...

...and, this one, too....

...and then there's this little hand-cranked unit...

...or this beauty....

Ande....a few stocking filler ideas for next Christmas.

Gary

ande and MarkEinOz like this

Hi

One of my quails have turned broody :lol:

2017-04-19_13-37-30_820.jpg

Every day when I collect the eggs, she is laying on 4-5 eggs in the corner of a box in the pen, she goes complete nuts when I take them away. :lolu:

cheers

Hi Ande,

Broody quail are a very rare phenomenon.  I went years without it ever happening....and it's only happened to me once or twice since.  If you want to breed a line of quail that wil set their own eggs, you might try taking her....and some of her female progeny....and setting them up in a small colony pen to see if they'll replicate the behaviour once they reach egg-laying age.

On 11/23/2016 at 0:51 PM, GaryD said:

Hi Ande,

I'll adopt the shaking method, too...if it's that quick and easy.  I like quail eggs freshly boiled - or pickled - but not half way between the two.

Gary

This has now become my peeling method....since I determined how much quicker it is.

Gary