ande

common quail (Coturnix coturnix)

36 posts in this topic

Good luck I would of tryed to buy younger quails eggs having I couldn't be raising 100 plus new born lol they need lights heat and special diet. I'm sure you know already .😀

Hi MR

Good luck I would of tryed to buy younger quails eggs having I couldn't be raising 100 plus new born lol they need lights heat and special diet. I'm sure you know already .

I didn't buy the eggs I got them free from the guy loading them on to the tray,

They are all fresh picked in the last 3-4 days, so hard to get younger quail eggs ?

Common quail, live & breed natural in the wild, around here,so I can't imagine they are that difficulte to raise :)

The cat., magpies , and seagulls, will be the biggest challenge I can forsee right now :D

cheers

Hi Ande,

Quail are arguably my favourite small-holder micro-livestock so I'd be happy to assist you with any information that you need about them.

You'll need to pen them in nothing bigger than 1/2" (13mm) mesh to protect them from everything you listed.   They can fly so they need to be penned in cages with low roofs to prevent them being injured when they attempt to fly upwards suddenly.  If predator birds can access their pen, it may be better to have solid sides (skip the mesh) because the evil buggers will peck them through the mesh)

The day-olds are like ants.....they scurry everwhere at high speed.  They need supplementary heat for the first few weeks after hatching.

Both the eggs and the meat are excellent food.

This forum has several good quail threads.

Gary

ande likes this

I would love to get my hands on a good bloodline but most people just have bobwhites i rather have the other kind lol 😃 Eggs and meat low feed diet small area can't beat it. Ducks and chickens lay larger eats and make more meat but feed more need lil more area and production rate overall can't compare to coturnix . Love good Texas a n m mix for better egg production possibly.

Edited by MikeRich (see edit history)

That is a huge incubator, Ande.  Timely post as I was thinking of getting a smaller one or to try hatching some eggs with brooding native chicken.  We get 4 to 6 eggs every day from 18 birds.

post-4243-0-02102800-1466932451_thumb.jp

If I was to buy say 100-500 quail raise in a barn with boxes basically they couldn't leave barn kinda like a chicken houses raise for about 8 to 12 weeks harvested the meat and eggs and start over is this wrong way to harvest quail?

If I was to buy say 100-500 quail raise in a barn with boxes basically they couldn't leave barn kinda like a chicken houses raise for about 8 to 12 weeks harvested the meat and eggs and start over is this wrong way to harvest quail?

Yes.

What would be the preferred method of raising quail only a medium to slighter larger scale in quantity? I figured I could just hatch out the last batch of eggs and start over or just buy more...... ðŸ™

Maybe try doing some actual research before asking people to spell it out for you.  There are a number of threads on the topic here on the forum, and if nothing else, there are these things called search engines:

google.com

bing.com

There are others, but one is enough, and they are fast.  You can search for any topic you like, and it will give you loads of resources to get you going.  I suggest finding a class on basic grammatical construction first.

Edited by MT Mind (see edit history)
ande likes this

Bing and Google are awesome 😃 Guess I'll do it my way bc seems internet misleading at times . For example Google betta breeding. Nothing is right how they are spawning them unless this is some hobby form or not trying to be productive.I'm finding and using own methods may be better than anything Google or Bing has to say definitely didn't need them for my produce.

Another thing I guess I better go to school so I can type English correctly on my smartphone or I could just use app 4 it. 😃

Hi MR

Another thing I guess I better go to school so I can type English correctly on my smartphone or I could just use app 4 it.

WWWRWIAO

cheers

Hi

127 hatched 1 dead, thus far :sword:

still about 40-50 eggs left hatching, so  gues it was more than 150 eggs closer to 180 :startle:

post-968-0-85013900-1468078566_thumb.jpg

post-968-0-81038500-1468078736_thumb.jpg

post-968-0-68882600-1468078818_thumb.jpg

post-968-0-81431500-1468078971_thumb.jpg

so if I get this right I will be serving quail in/by week 35

cheers

vkn likes this

Hi again

1 dead of the 127  another 8 new hatced, and there was 10 still working to break out of the eggs, yesterday.

1 dead no new hatched, the 10 at work all dead,this morning.

I took all the quail eggs out of the incubater,just to discover that at least 3 new eggs/chikens, where trying to peck thru, so I put them all back in, except for the positive dead ones.

I'll lett them get another day or two, even if I doubt any more will make it.

So 134 total as of today :cool:

cheers

Hi

No more quail hatches, 1 where still alive pecking yesterday :startle:

After reading Garys microponics blogg on quail, I did a quick postmortem on the remaining eggs,

Dry/empty or no embryos, so all other made it to the hatching stadium, but the late hatchers didn't make it

Maybe I could/should have helped them out of the egg ? 

I remember when doing that with ducks/chiken/turkey, they usualy died, or had some kind of birth defects and got pecked/bullied so I decided not to do that this time.

Have had a few dead chicks each day so total number quail

as of today is 122.

Got a new partner in quails :D

2016-07-10_21-58-32_676.jpg2016-07-10_22-08-47_762.jpg

The chiken eggs I tossed in (12) started hatching yesterday total chiks as of today is 8

2016-07-14_20-28-16_664.jpg

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)
GaryD likes this

Hi vkn

Sorry late reply, this thread got a bit derailed :rolleyes: at the time of your post, so I forgot to get back to you :notfair:

On 26.6.2016 at 11:28 AM, vkn said:

That is a huge incubator, Ande.  Timely post as I was thinking of getting a smaller one or to try hatching some eggs with brooding native chicken.  We get 4 to 6 eggs every day from 18 birds.

For dinner 250616.jpg

Yes the incubator is quite big I gues, I can easy fit 120 quail eggs in each of 3 trays,

I didn't know it was big  when I bought it about  20 years ago, I just got a good deal on it, and knew it was a solid machine.

The big eggs or latest chickens are Indian Bhrama https://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/chickens/brahma

I allways thaught they originated in India, apparently not ? looking at the link, it lists USA as place of origin

I wan't to try them as freerange garden chicks, as their large size, might make them a bit less atractive  as prey ?

Yeah get your selfe a incubator, I had forgotten, how fun it is to hatch your own chicks, I think I'w gotten a bit hooked again  :wacko:

What is the name of the native race you are looking at ?

I diden't think or plan on quails, it was a adhock decision when a friend came over with the eggs, I just went for it.

No more morts, the last few days, so I got arround 115 now, they grow fast, so I'm bizzy planing/building their next home(s), not sure how many to keep as egglayers yet.

Been  re-reading old posts & Garys microponics blog on raising quails to try doin'g it "right" first time arround.

I decided to try out deeplitter bedding for some at least, been reading this http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/832431/quail-on-deep-litter-why-it-works

and like what I read :)

cheers

Hi Ande,

Congratulations on the recent arrivals. 

I'm certain that an old  hunter/gatherer like yourself will become very attached to quail breeding and rearing......and to the products that result from that.

It's the 'cradle to the grave' aspect of quail production that I like......being able to breed, incubate, brood, rear and process them.....in a tiny footprint.....and all in a very short timeframe.   There's nothing else like it.

Enjoy your new venture!

Gary

ande likes this

Hi

On 18.7.2016 at 10:04 AM, GaryD said:

Hi Ande,

Congratulations on the recent arrivals. 

I'm certain that an old  hunter/gatherer like yourself will become very attached to quail breeding and rearing......and to the products that result from that.

It's the 'cradle to the grave' aspect of quail production that I like......being able to breed, incubate, brood, rear and process them.....in a tiny footprint.....and all in a very short timeframe.   There's nothing else like it.

Enjoy your new venture!

Gary

Thanks, attatched me ? hehe I'm hooked allready, amazing how fast they grow/develope.

I quit grinding their food yesterday, had/found 4 morts today, so maybe a bit early ?

Got to expand their area soon, and to make some decisions on how many to keep as brood stock.

Is there a ideal  or minimum temp C/F range, for them to thrive and lay eggs year around, or is it more about light ?

cheers

3 hours ago, ande said:

Hi

Thanks, attatched me ? hehe I'm hooked allready, amazing how fast they grow/develope.

I quit grinding their food yesterday, had/found 4 morts today, so maybe a bit early ?

Got to expand their area soon, and to make some decisions on how many to keep as brood stock.

Is there a ideal  or minimum temp C/F range, for them to thrive and lay eggs year around, or is it more about light ?

cheers

Hi Ande,

You can expect a few morts.....particularly if you've been helping them out of the shells.  You'll lose the occasional late hatcher because they put all of their strength into gettting out of the shell....and they are too weak to carry on.

They require supplementary warmth (around 35 degrees C to begin and reducing at the rate of 5 degrees C per week) for the first few weeks.  The optimum temperature for breeding is probably in the range of 18 to 25 degrees C......but they'll lay at lower temperatures, too.    Light has a significant impact on their egg laying (and breeding) with the ideal being about 16 hours per day - more is OK.  

Bright light should be avoided at all stages of their lives - it encourages feather picking and aggression leading to cannibalism.  

Growers should be reared in just enough light to be able to see the feeders and waterers.  That helps to prevent premature sexual maturity.

Gary

ande likes this

Hi Ande,

I could have guessed that you'd find quail attractive.....and i'm really pleased that they've worked out for you.  I can think of no better way to provide protein in the form of delicious meat and eggs on a small-scale.

My work with quail will focus on two areas in future....the forumulation of natural rations to replace the proprietary feed we currently use and integration of the manure into the production system.   I'd love to trial quail with sand beds.

Gary

Hi Gary

It´s been real a kick :D

I´w bought a featherpicker arriwes tomorow as i found the picking job to time consuming,

I/we (my daughter and her boyfriend) picked 30 by hand, when I culled the lot, I tossed the rest (25) in the freezer, with feathers on, as I decided to buy one, durring that culling proces.

^00224631B4D24C11BDD338BC94ADB1075BFD82EAE0C0AE0F17^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

I get arround 35-40 eggs a day from those I kept, and have the next badge (240 eggs) in the incubater , they should start hatching on the 26th but I might have goofed, I had 0,9 degree C to high temp the first 2 days :redface: 

I ran at 38,7C instead of 37,8C so I might have fried them from the set of, this  time around ? we´ll see in a few days how it turns out.

cheers

Hi

On 22.9.2016 at 0:13 AM, ande said:

they should start hatching on the 26th

Well at least 17 arriwed on scedule :rock:

2016-09-26_23-47-34_502.jpg

So I didn't fry them :D will be interesting to see this final hatch result (%) compared to last badge

cheers