Drbyte

Supplimental plant food

Hi Drbyte,

Welcome to APN.

People generally feed proprietary rations to their fish because they constitute a balanced diet for the species for which they are formulated.  Having said that, there is the question of feed sustainability that hovers over the entire aquaculture community.  Most commercial rations contain fish meal in some form or the other.....and that's problematic for some people.....not to mention the fish.

My personal view is that DIY fish rations are possible but the formulation of a ration (of any type) requires that you know what the nutritional needs of the species being raised are.  You then need to know what prospective ingredients are available that might meet some/all of those needs......and then you need to be able to combine those ingredients in such a way that the client species needs are being met without cancelling each other out.

There are DIY fish food recipes about and they can be found by Googling.   The issue is that unless they have formulated by someone with the appropriate knowledge and skills they are unlikely to be as effective (in terms of rate of growth) as proprietary rations.

The implicit challenge in formulating fish rations (that doesn't exist to the same extent as with other species) is the length (or lack of) of a fish' gut.  Fish will eat many things but that doesn't mean that they can process everything that they eat.....even though the nutrient profile of what they've eaten may appear to be consistent with their nutritional needs.

When it comes to formulating fish rations, there are not only digestive system issues to contend with.  Some rations have been developed for some species which met the fish' nutritional needs very well.....but the flesh of processed fish no longer had the same taste and there was a consumer rejection of the fish in the marketplace.  This happened some years ago with a species called Yellowtail kingfish.....a marine species found in my former home state.

Long story short, you can formulate fish rations.......but, unless you're a livestock nutritionist, it's unlikely that your fish will grow as quickly as those on a commercial ration.  If rate of growth is not an issue this may not be a problem for you.....except that, if you're planning to do aquaponics, what goes into the fish will evenually impact what is available to your plants.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thanks for the response! However, my question is I do not have enough fish to feed the plants yet. What can i add to the water to make the plants happy without harming the fish?

Thanks for the response! However, my question is I do not have enough fish to feed the plants yet. What can i add to the water to make the plants happy without harming the fish?

Any Male species urine, Female urine won't cut it. Remove the fish to a new location and Pee right into the water.

Male urine is also a great disinfectant. When I came back from Viet-Nam, I had a severe case of Athletes foot, would rub between the toes till they bled. Then a dermatologist told me to pee in a bottle and use the urine to soak my feet. That was in the early 90's, and it took only about 2 months soaking every night before taking a shower to cure it. And now ever since that treatment I've never had a recurrence.

In colonial days, boys would collect horse and bull pee, using a long stick with a open top jug attached. They were actually paid for their catchements.

Thanks very much for your response. However I need a solution that does not involve removing the fish from the process the plants require additional nutrients beyond the capability of the current fish population again thanks for your response

Thank you, vkn for your response. Our facility is designed to support a bio-secure approach and introduction of pathogens must be avoided. For this reason, we are unable to use the fermented cow products at this time. Thanks for your thoughtful input.

Thank you, Mark, for your suggestion. I have a 6250 gallon system with over 500 tilapia feeding raft beds, nfts, and media beds/dutch buckets. Scaling down the operation while working issues with the fish is not an option and I would like to suppliment the existing output from the fish with nutrients which can be added to the system without comprimising the integrity of plants or the fish

Thank you, Mark, for your suggestion. I have a 6250 gallon system with over 500 tilapia feeding raft beds, nfts, and media beds/dutch buckets. Scaling down the operation while working issues with the fish is not an option and I would like to suppliment the existing output from the fish with nutrients which can be added to the system without comprimising the integrity of plants or the fish

I am in NO position to comment on your system(s) ... so I won't

I can say that I've been 'accused' of having a very low stocking density in my early trials and also Ratio studies.

Which is more or less correct, presuming there was an actual defined standard or proper target to meet - which TMK there is not.

2650 US gal =10 cubic meters

Initial stocking density (N) in the 'Ratio Study' was approx. 80 at 15g per cubic meter.

Times 10  gives an N= 800   (presuming grow-out from 10 g fingerlings to 300 g harvest or there about, and also NO 'waste' removal)

And that is considered low-density by many here, TMK

Too few fish for too much other stuff - regardless of 'system' type ... if I 'understand' assumptions correctly.

I'd suggest achieving a relative balance rather than complicating/confounding matters further.

Therefore I continue to recommended 1, 2, or 3 above

+++++++++

EDIT

OoooPs (my bad)  "6,250" US Gal = 23.66 cu m.   wow!

Times 80 m-3 ... N = 1893 (or more)

Edited by Mark McMurtry (see edit history)

Hi this is nonsense

Female urine won't cut it. Remove the fish to a new location and Pee right into the water.

If you do choose to use urine this is the latest thread the matter was disscussed

the links provided is a good info/read on the matter

Practical Guidance on the Use of Urine in Crop Production

http://www.susana.org/_resources/documents/default/2-757-5-ecosan-urine-in-crops-100824-web1.pdf

and this

Guidelines for the Safe Use of Urine and Faeces in Ecological Sanitation Systems
http://conference2005.ecosan.org/presentations/schonning.pdf

cheers

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)

And I must have been off with the pixies again.   I completely overlooked the "plant" part of your original question....and launched off into a book on fish food.

What organic, bio secure plant food can i use without damaging the tilapia?

There are various benign preparations that can be used in conjunction with fish.  Maxicrop comes to mind. 

Gary

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)

Hi this is nonsense

If you do choose to use urine this is the latest thread the matter was disscussed

the links provided is a good info/read on the matter

cheers

CEREAlS IN INdIA   Bangalore district

Field experiments were conducted in farmer’s fields at Nagasandra village, Doddaballapura Tq, Bangalore district in India for one year to study the response of maize to human urine when applied to meet the nitrogen requirement (Sridevi, 2009). The treatments were control, recommended dose of fertilizers, recommended dose of nitrogen through human urine with and without gypsum and fertilizer applied to soil and different combinations of human urine and fertilizers. The results of the field experiment revealed that recommended dose of nitrogen through human urine in 6 split doses with irrigation water + gypsum increased the grain (8.10 t ha-1) and stover (33.88 t ha-1) yield of maize. Significant increase in the nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium content of plant samples was observed in the crops. The outcome of the investigation revealed that urine diverting toilet systems help to provide better sanitation, help farmers to save the cost on fertilizers without negatively affecting the crop yields and thus help to achieve food security.

Edited by Old Prospector (see edit history)

Contrary to popular belief, urine isn't sterile, and the organisms that live in it would likely be comfortable in an saline environment. Some of them are likely to be pathogenic and may very well persist in an Aqua-Horticulture system.  This may not be a problem in practice, but I'm sure directly urinating into the system water would not qualify as "bio-secure."