Cecil

A problem in my perch production pond!

9 posts in this topic

I had one of my yellow perch brood fish escape from the cage when I was removing the cage of brood fish. Can't catch the little SOB to save my life. Going to keep trying. Seeing less and less of the perch fry under the light with the belt feeder. I fear he is eating an easy meal. Going to keep trying! 

Ran a seine through the pond three times with no luck that was small enough to capture him and large enough to allow the fry through.  Apparently the stinker is diving down in the weeds when the net skims over them. 

I pride myself on being able to catch fish anywhere anytime in any body of water but catching one fish in a pond is harder than it appears! 

I'm guessing that, left uncaught, he grows in the pond and gets to have his pick of next season's fingerlings.

I'm guessing that, left uncaught, he grows in the pond and gets to have his pick of next season's fingerlings.

Well he doesn't have to grow at all. He's plenty big enough now! 

Left a bait overnight in the pond on a hook and line. This morning the bait was gone. *&^%$! 

Today I removed the pier. No easy feat at the posts were driven into the bottom with a pile driver. Unfortunately even with the pier removed, for full clearance of the seine, after two seine passes no perch. 

I may run a few more passes tomorrow and then figure out how to proceed. 

He'll taste all the better when you finally catch him.

And loose me a lot of money. I have a order for a few hundred fingerlings in a few months. If he continues there may not be any left. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hi Cecil

How about electrofishing?

maybe some Pondboss members/aquaculture association/fish and wildlife conservation services etc. can lend you the equipment or give you a hand

cheers