Aufin

iAVs in Florida

82 posts in this topic

Yes, I agree.  It's great to see grow beds full of apparently healthy plants...a relatively rare thing in media-based aquaponics.

It will be interesting to see the impact of the chrysanthemums and marigolds on the root knot nematodes.  They may be a useful intercrop in areas where the nematodes are a problem.

BTW....are the pink flamingos helping with the insect control?

54 minutes ago, GaryD said:

Yes, I agree.  It's great to see grow beds full of apparently healthy plants...a relatively rare thing in media-based aquaponics.

It will be interesting to see the impact of the chrysanthemums and marigolds on the root knot nematodes.  Timely comment, Gary.   Just today I inspected some bean roots ...... evidence of RKN activity.  Not much, but enough to tell they're there.  Dosed sand surface with full strength Neem Oil. It'll wash down during the flood cycle and recycle through every 2 hours till it degrades.  I suspect it's eggs hatching from last infestation that didn't get eliminated in initial dosing.  Been working a lot lately so any maintenance dosing of the entire growbeds was neglected, only spot dosing and foliar spraying.  That won't happen again!!.  They may be a useful intercrop in areas where the nematodes are a problem. I will be spacing them in the rows with the plants.  I'm thinking every 4th spot.  One might think it would effect quantity of produce, but iAVs allows plants to be planted much closer, so I don't think it's going to be a problem.  Plus, RKN's screw up EVERYTHING, so I think this will do just fine till I'm certain the 'todes are gone. 

BTW....are the pink flamingos helping with the insect control?  I wish.  Just amuses me to look at em.  Everyone asks about them.......  "They're for security" .

Here's the most recent.  Beans (already picked 5 times) and carrots in large bed, small bed - large broccoli heads have been  picked, letting smaller bitesize clusters grow, small cabbage starters, next bed- small broccoli starters, onions down center hills in both narrow beds, and a few small beet plants that I haven't snatched out yet, soon to be replaced with another planting of beans when the starter seeds get a little taller/stronger.  Spaced in all beds are a few tomatoes, some small okras, cucumbers and mums and marigolds.......and my team of security flamingos.  Small bed in back by the fence has squash, cucumber and catnip.  Blue barrel "sow's ear" is gone.

20170601_193438-2016x1134.jpg

bcotton and bigdaddy like this

Posted (edited)

Hi Ian....leave the beans alone.  Those aren't root knot nematodes....they're the nitrogen-fixing nodules that are found on legumes.

Further to my oblique remarks about the plants in (other types of) media-based system...if this is what you can achieve in the face of root knot nematodes, the plant production is remarkable.

Edited by GaryD (see edit history)

Quite possibly you're right, Gary, but since I also saw some evidence on a tomato, I'm not taking any chances ...... the entire system got a light dosing of Neem Oil.  I put about 5 oz Neem into approx 350 gallons water.  Puts a sheen on the water, and one can certainly smell it, but the fish don't seem to mind. Wondering if the odor has any deterrent effect on the flying/creepy crawley critters normally found around the plants.  Fed the herd this morning ...... they went after it as usual.  

Leftover beets getting pulled today, being replaced with a row of beans.  Also going to sprinkle some okra starts amongst everything else.  This is getting fun.

I want to clarify something.  I might have given the impression I added the neem oil to the tank water.  The full strength Neem Oil was sprinkled on the sand so it could drain down till the flood cycle started and rinse it through.

And the fish are still doing just fine.

I find your use of Neem oil to be very interesting.  Anecdotal evidence has always discriminated against its use around fish...so your use of it on your plants is an exciting development.  The sand may limit the movement of the oil through the system in a way that doesn't happen with coarse media or raft systems.  Either way, I'm watching it with real interest.

Great updates and interesting info about Neem. Thanks for sharing! Hoping to get started on my new system soon.