post-968-0-93930500-1459699226_thumb.jpg

But today was better luck with 3 healthy nice lambs born :D

post-968-0-10411600-1459699289_thumb.jpg

post-968-0-26279300-1459699547_thumb.jpg

So now I hope they make it until it's time for :bbq:

:bow:

cheers

kellenw, DC Farms and GaryD like this

Wow so you raise for wool and meat? Lambs and sheep are basically the same thing? I've always wondered but few people have them in the area because of hot humid summers.

if it is any consolation Ande it looks like the first two were never going to make it, if you had spotted her as she started labour you might have had a chance to pull the big lamb as soon as it got stuck, its always a long shot with black lambs its so hard to see what is going on, I got caught this year, they started lambing a day early.

Hi MR

Wow so you raise for wool and meat?

Well primarily I keep them, to teach my youngest son (and others) general animal husbandry. :biggrin:

Kids, that grow up having duties towards living creatures, tend to develop empathy & respect, towads all living things, including folks

wich I regard as one of the most importante characters of all. :judge: also they learn by experience, that death is as natural as life

Then the sheeps, do a wery nice job, in keeping the lawn/fields/underwoods open, no moving needed :cool:

Bonus is the meat/fur/wool.

Lambs and sheep are basically the same thing?

Indeed, lamb is the kid and sheep is the adult ;)

cheers

kellenw likes this

Hi y2

if it is any consolation Ande it looks like the first two were never going to make it, if you had spotted her as she started labour you might have had a chance to pull the big lamb as soon as it got stuck, its always a long shot with black lambs its so hard to see what is going on, I got caught this year, they started lambing a day early.

We had a suden change of weather, temp.C/F droped from 15C and heavy rain turning to snow and -3C, the night they arrived. 

They where merly 1/2 the size of the last ones, so I don't think they where fit to live up, even if I'd been there, so it's fine, just a bit iritating when it happens.

They are of a really hardy old breed "spælsau" "Old Norwegian Short Tail Landrace" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp%C3%A6lsau

Unlike most other breeds they can live outdoors year around here, they do need some minimal roffing and/or good threes, to get shelter under, from rain so that they can keep their whool dry 

cheers

So after the sheep die naturally. You don't use the carcasses for anything? I would eat my sheep and teach my children how to prep and cook. I've never eaten sheep personally that I know of but I heard its some good stuff. 😀