MikeRich

Wild boar microlivestock?

7 posts in this topic

So I heard on an island of Japan a wild boar lives. This pig has the ability to grow healthy with way less food as other hogs. Also this is the smallest breed of wild boar.was wondering if this breed or smaller breeds of pigs are indeed microlivestock?

So I heard on an island of Japan a wild boar lives. This pig has the ability to grow healthy with way less food as other hogs. Also this is the smallest breed of wild boar.was wondering if this breed or smaller breeds of pigs are indeed microlivestock?

Pigs.....yes.  Wild boar.....NO!   The clue is in the word 'wild'.  It's difficult to work with something when it will kill everyone other organism in the system while trying to tear your leg off at every opportunity.  Even domesticated pigs that have gone wild can be deadly.

We'll never too much trusted hogs. Figured maybe a really small breed would be more manageable. I've raised myself Razorbacks . They grow really big tusks. Really dangerous so my family got rid off them. These hogs where still not the largest of hog breeds we raised for bbq in the past. I'm still unclear if razorback just a nickname for particular breed or ....? But I'm pretty sure from what my uncle said they wasn't a pure breed but rather a cross and possibly razorbacks just being one part of that cross. I'm not the knowledgeable about hogs . Only other encounters I've had with hogs is a wild one we killed on our land weighed over 350 pounds and had 3-4 inch tusk. I believe this hog could of exscaped approximately 5-8 years earlier from near by farm. I also heard that 100s exscaped at the same time and all went wild.

Hi MR

The smallest wild boar is from Assam , India

cheers

Wow one day after I become successful with rabbit quail and tilapia. I may consider smaller breeds of pigs as well. I just watched documentary on nat geo wild titled. Wild Japan that claims their island boar is the smallest breed of wild boar. Guess u cant believe everything national geographic has to say. 🙠My reason for the desire of raising pigs is the to feed leftovers from garden table ect. Later may even consider eating them . 😀

Pigs really are a great addition to a farm. They turn waste into bacon! I really feel much better when i have my hogs around because nothing goes to waste.

Interesting hogs clean up waste.... A part on our property was once a pig pen. This location was turned into a vegetable garden later. The tomatoes that grew in this spot still is the healthiest largest fruit and plant I've ever seen. I think maybe national geographic meant the "Japanese " boar may be the smallest island breed. Glad their seems to be a diversity of small breeds of pigs maybe in future could be crossed to make a tamer smaller better body type than their full blooded parent breeds. More manageable meat pig that's easily grown in small areas with a good radio for meat production would be ideal for backyard farmer and other horticultural and microponic areas.