MikeRich

Watermill project

23 posts in this topic

So an idea I had in the back of my mind was how the function of basic water mill could benifit my stystems. I then thought maybe small water mill could produce enough electricity for lighting ect. On my land where be hard to run electricity from another source. In anyones opinion is this idea realistic? Would save on cost and I have plenty of natural springs with strong flowing water I could use.

So more greener ideas . Could small farms function most efficiently with self made clean energy. Examples windmills watermills and bio fuels . All could be adapted to a generator and run power. Some potential fuel makers could be duckweed and moringa. I've even read about woodchips basic plant material and fertilizer converted into fuel to run power for lights and to power trucks tractors ect. This idea to make cleaner energy at home would benifit in many areas. May even lead to less pollution globally.

So an idea I had in the back of my mind was how the function of basic water mill could benifit my stystems. I then thought maybe small water mill could produce enough electricity for lighting ect. On my land where be hard to run electricity from another source. In anyones opinion is this idea realistic? Would save on cost and I have plenty of natural springs with strong flowing water I could use.

Mike, 

The best part of carrying out this watermill project, would be to have a gravity fed AP system to power itself.

Big plus: Self aeration!

Edited by DC Farms (see edit history)

Wow that being said myself and another are already looking for blueprints and researching purposes of mills. I figured later if successful I would like to build artificial water flow with watermills as part of the system to help run AP systems more cost effectively especially in greenhouse or indoor systems.

I've successfully drawn a rough draft version of the watermill outdoor AP system. I will now find a program and make the blueprint easier to read. The parts consist of man made well for water supply, Waterfall feature,holding pools, watermill, water pumps , generator, pipes , greenhouse covering, and smaller parts of AP systems .i also plan to use my compost from compost pile and feed fertilizer directly from the holding pools that also will grow microlivestock.

I've successfully drawn a rough draft version of the watermill outdoor AP system. I will now find a program and make the blueprint easier to read. The parts consist of man made well for water supply, Waterfall feature,holding pools, watermill, water pumps , generator, pipes , greenhouse covering, and smaller parts of AP systems .i also plan to use my compost from compost pile and feed fertilizer directly from the holding pools that also will grow microlivestock.

I don't have that much time on my hands. lol  :startle:

Didn't take long with the rough draft luckily I found a man good at water pumps and watermills so with his help first setup should take around 2 weeks working part time on it.

So after studying designs and methods used in Iceland Alaska and Japan . I've changed some of the functions of the over all design of the watermill AP system. This will result in a more complexed blueprint and little more time to find such an app to create it. I have already begun another rough draft and if possible I will more than likely take pictures of it and seek opinions on this site before I finalize the design .

More thought into the actual watermill design for better functionality on smaller Indoor AP systems . Propose of these mills would be to oxygenate water reduce electrical cost regulate temperature and more. The new designs I am calling mini mills and micro mills because they will function similarly to actual watermills but In a way smaller design. These designs could allow u to run multiple mills in a small area makes AP even most cost efficient even indoors. 😀

These designs could allow you to run AP systems more cost effectively even indoors. Dang auto spell check

These designs could allow you to run AP systems more cost effectively even indoors. Dang auto spell check

Are you accounting for water flow speed and required rpm of a generator to produce current in small applications?

Yes and no . Figuring you could increase rpm with lighter weight design. Also design being smaller you could increase current and the generators size with multiple mills on one generator. Lighter design would also not need really strong flow of water but a water fall type design using gravity was in the outdoor AP rough draft original design.other thoughts about this have occurred in overall design but would like to explain it better later with more accurate terminology.

You can't break law of conservation of energy. I can see this working indoors in RAS by utilizing unused extra oversized pump capacity to power a generator to reclaim some percentage of lost energy. But you are always losing energy to friction, machine inefficiency, etc.

That said, there are enough places with free fall in a system that there could be a spot for a mini mill. I'd be concerned as with anything else in aquaponics that you'd constantly be dealing with solids buildup, algae, plugging up, etc.

I am interested in seeing what your ideas are.

Well original outdoor design water would be pumped and filtered before reaching the fall pool. The water would flow from this pool downward .beside the downward flow would be the waterwheel. Below this the holding pool where microlivestock would also live. This holding pool water would then feed into a greenhouse to feed plants . The greenhouse would also be powered by the energy created by the waterwheel.

Further details on waterwheel outdoor project. I plan to run energy created from the wheel to a generator. This generator I plan to power type of thermal system to heat greenhouse and regulated water temperature. Also plan to power the waterpumps if necessary may not need one or a powerful one due to some gravity will be involved.

So studying more about basic waterwheel design I've redesigned the outdoor AP system. This design contains not one but four water wheels in less space as the current one wheel. Possibly generating more power. The new design places the wheels directly under the water flow creating more rpm. Also created storage area under the flow tank for the pump and electrical boxes making more space in the area and protecting parts at the same time.

After showings the latest design on outdoor waterwheel AP systems. Many people in my area familiar with farming hydroponics ect. Are impressed and believe it will function correctly. I also have support and help actually building it. Before we start about two weeks of research and development will take place to ensure any possible errors in the design will be corrected . After this I plan to atleast have a demo version built just to see how everything runs. If successful I will carry on will more construction and hopefully this part of the project will be completed by May. Keep ya updated 😀

the most important thing is the lay of the land, traditional hydro is about storage, flow and fall. If there is a bit of height  a pelton wheel turbine is the ticket. but even a small dropoff can be used with an axial flow turbine.

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4221&PN=5&TPN=7

I posted a diagram /photo and a link roughly half way down this page.

Dont think any of the hydro men are still active on this forum but there is still some good info there if you search the site using google.

Yes that's a way bigger system in the pictures I'm seeing. The start of my plan was to make a basic waterwheel on natural flowing water because I wanted some sort of power in the area and possibly created more suitable habitat for any microlivestock I planned to grow. Later I figured why not run similar system on AP systems. Reason for the was to reduce electricity spent running from another source. So now I've drawn some basic designs. Thanks that link will further my research and development . hopefully with this information and little more I can start building something.😀

Wow 250 w thats what I'm talking about. Big question is how come I'm not seeing stuff like this adapted to AP systems?(pictures)gotta factor in material cost but if you can take away utility bills water electric ect. Would that be more practical? This being said even more questions on the project is likely especially now I'm seeing this new design seems I could make overall design smaller and possibly less maintenance overall.

Well I have funding but pressed on time with this project. So now I'm unsure if I wanna use hydro electronic generator system or milti waterwheel system adapted for more price efficient AP mp or hp systems. Figured be funnier to build it myself i know I can build waterwheel the other system looks simple to build but have a feeling be hard to find material that function correctly. More research guess is needed . 🙠Anyone made more before?