MikeRich

Starting compost for new gardens

33 posts in this topic

How do pine needles lower ph ?I'm no expert on the subject but once my grandfather burned area of his land that was dense with pine straw after few rans green growth appeared. Seem pine straw around pine trees my act as some kind of defense against other new growth from occurring in the area.

Hi MR

How do pine needles lower ph ?I'm no expert on the subject but once my grandfather burned area of his land that was dense with pine straw after few rans green growth appeared. Seem pine straw around pine trees my act as some kind of defense against other new growth from occurring in the area.

It hardly has any effect on the soil ph and only so if it fresh cut (green)

cheers

???? So burning the pine straw has no effect on ph of soil? Dried pine straw covering areas naturally under pine trees don't change the soils chemistry ph or any effect especially negative? Reason asking seems grass and other plants have hard time growing good in heavy pine straw that's dry.

Hi MR

???? So burning the pine straw has no effect on ph of soil? Dried pine straw covering areas naturally under pine trees don't change the soils chemistry ph or any effect especially negative? Reason asking seems grass and other plants have hard time growing good in heavy pine straw that's dry.

Oh yes burning it will give you ashes wich will raise the Ph.

But you where asking if composting it will lower the Ph as far as I understood ?

Grass and other plants gets chocked & no light in/under heavy pine straw wet or dry, it has nothing to do with the Ph.

cheers

Well atleast the pine tree that was around my house had no negative effects on the soil overall. Areas I have burned year or so back looks way healthier. Non burnt areas that was clear of pine tree has dried hay like grass covering it . Burnt side growing naturally blackberries type of wild grape grass cover and a few weeds.

With the lumber or parts let's from making mulch ect I plan to build another compost bed . Plan to raise this bed pretty high and dig down and mulch the foundation. This should give compost good water detainment.

So I've decided to benefit from compost helpers. Mainly larvae earthworms crickets and snails. Would like to grow edible mushrooms/fungi if possible. I've heard of the garden giant also know as the composter I believe, still quit unsure about mushrooms but would like to grow some.