MikeRich

Starting compost for new gardens

33 posts in this topic

Well been waiting to do this for long time. Sure you guys have made a few. Wonder if there's a major difference between aquatic compost and regular compost made from vegetables plant material ect.

Plan is to make compost for herb gardens new muchroom garden small vegi garden bait beds and more . I'm using two compost bins for breaking stuff into compost and a compost container that can hold over 500 pounds of soil/compost materials ect. Starting today got cabbage and lettuce be the first I use for compost bin. Anyone have any advice on getting good start ?

Thanks anymore use multi purpose compost systems using earthworms snails mushrooms ect. help break down compost on this site?

Yep......I compost all manner of things by putting it through the guts of chickens, quail or black soldier fly larvae......and worms.

MikeRich likes this

Black soldier fly what's so special about them especially with compost?are these basic flys that make maggots? Ants carry protein too id rather eat them or use them but I'm assuming you feed soldier fly larvae to your other livestock.

Hi again MR

Black soldier fly what's so special about them especially with compost?are these basic flys that make maggots? Ants carry protein too id rather eat them or use them but I'm assuming you feed soldier fly larvae to your other livestock.

There is quite a few different subforums on here, with loads of disscussions & Q/A on numerous matters, here in this section http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/forum/30-diy-animal-protein/ you will fine loads on BSF

also as I said above try using the search function type in : Black soldier fly and you will be directed here : http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

happy reading :geek:

cheers

Thanks so much for the link i will post pictures and keep updated the advancements I make with my compost system .😄

What I do know is that conventional farmers pay top dollar for fish emulsion for fertilization.  I just ran across someone this past weekend that was selling excess solids waste water for $2/gallon.

Personally, I take my extra solids and run them through a vortex brewer for about 48-72hrs, and this gives me a rich solution to re-introduce to the system or to use on my fruit trees, veggies, etc.

Hi MR

I moved this thread to the non-ap growing systems section, as it dosen't belong in the aquaculture section

cheers

What I do know is that conventional farmers pay top dollar for fish emulsion for fertilization.  I just ran across someone this past weekend that was selling excess solids waste water for $2/gallon.

Personally, I take my extra solids and run them through a vortex brewer for about 48-72hrs, and this gives me a rich solution to re-introduce to the system or to use on my fruit trees, veggies, etc.

You should buy all he can supply. Around here it is $14 a quart for fish emulsion and $7 a gallon for system starter water.

Thanks ande keeping everything in the right places. So how long do you need to let lettuce and cabbage to turn into useable compost usually ?should animals compost be mixed with plant material? Im trying to avoid any really bad smells.

So recent rains have caused abundance of weeds on my land. Would common weeds sizes small to large make suitable compost? I plan to collect a full 50 gallon black bin with a top and compact it down good and place this plant mixture in sun for faster decomposition. I was wondering if not good compost material maybe could feed worms snails or even crickets. I do not know at this time. ðŸ™

I throw weeds in mine all the time.  I try to avoid getting seeds in there though.  The theory is that the heat from composting kills the seeds, but I have other experiences :)

Thanks Dave soon as the storm clears ima start weeding. I guess it's Safe to assume that earthworms garden snails and even crickets will eat and further break down this material.

The storm cleared instead of weeding I think I found a new passion. Using the chainsaw 😀. Way my space of land is between my aunt and uncles property. Early this year my back yard was clear cut.this made my yard huge. Along the perimeters of both sides they left most of the medium size oaks cherrys and some scrub brush. Recently I've just been burning the dead tree materials. I was wondering if I could use this lumber to benifit in other areas for example this compost project.maybe other areas of agriculture I could use it in but I'm trying to be practical with this material. Perhaps would be beneficial in making additions to my upgraded AP systems but I'm open for advice opinions ect. Don't want to waiste anything 😀

Hi MR

. Recently I've just been burning the dead tree materials. I was wondering if I could use this lumber to benifit in other areas for example this compost project.maybe other areas of agriculture I could use it in but I'm trying to be practical with this material. Perhaps would be beneficial in making additions to my upgraded AP systems but I'm open for advice opinions ect. Don't want to waiste anything

http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/topic/9213-hugelkultur-anyone-try-it/?p=69115

cheers

That's a real complexed compost system. Better find how much it is to rent a woodchiper . Are there other methods of making mulch? Be honest I've never made mulch before. Thanks that does help great deal in the direction I'm going. Although not studied much on permaculture seems I'm always dealing with it sometimes unknowingly. Really can't say much more on the terminology at this time but plan to learn more.

. Although not studied much on permaculture seems I'm always dealing with it sometimes unknowingly.

and that is the problem we all have when we start out, almost start talking like Donald Rumsfeld with known unknowns and unknown unknowns.

some stuff you just have to put in the "too hard basket" for a while or else you are just ducking an diving and making continuous bad decisions. then poor knowledge turns into bad assumptions and habits and cascading disasters and we just give up.

compost is one of those deals, the trick is to store the dry stuff until there is a flush of green waste available and you are ready to pull the trigger. I wire 4 forklift pallets together (free), then sometimes I do the whole soaking dry matter in clay slurry and adding biochar deal and turn it regularly and make a hot one, other times if I am busy i will just let it go cold and drag it out for 10 months. I cut timber to 40cm lengths and store it for later use, people like wood from fruit trees for smoking a little bit of bartering is good , thick sections go in my heater, thin sticks go in a rocket mass heater or a biochar gasifier twigs and leaves are saved for the compost or bedding or mulch. At certain times of the year when the soil is active I just chop and drop small prunings on the ground and they rot down quite rapidly.

You might even be able to clean somebody's yard for a price and get a decent compost pile rolling that way. Or put the word out that you are looking for scraps next (the night before the garbage is picked up). The key is not to waste time, energy, money or labour on stuff that is of low benefit to you.

It is not really about compost it is more about managing  your resources and time effectively and effortlessly for a return.

For me the return is meat, eggs, veg and fruit products of a variety and quality I cant buy at the shops. If I can do that without sweating over a pitchfork and wearing my hipjoints away or having to be home every single day in case something goes wrong then that is what I am going to do.

GaryD and ande like this

Thanks yahoo your advice and knowledge is appreciated 😀 No need to kill myself over bunch of mulch. I do however agree that having the rights compost systems would greatly benifit any agricultural area of interest.

So I've decided to use the upper branches for mulch. Nice strait pieces of oak around post size I wanna make something else with. Does anyone have any good ideas for landscape or outdoor furniture? I'd like to not just use them as post and if I did use them like post don't wanna be making fences.

Does burnt mulch carry different uses than none burnt? I was thinking I could use the burnt mulch material for something but unsure what other than to help plants grow but specifically unsure of best uses for it if any.dont have gasifer or anything like it at this time either or I'd use a lot of material for fuel .

Does burnt mulch carry different uses than none burnt? I was thinking I could use the burnt mulch material for something but unsure what other than to help plants grow but specifically unsure of best uses for it if any.dont have gasifer or anything like it at this time either or I'd use a lot of material for fuel .

Good fertilizer, just remember ash will increase alkalinity of soil so it's great for acidic soils.  I wouldn't use it much if your pH is already over 7.

So burning pine straw in natural areas does what to the ph? Pine straw uses in compost purposes other than in just basic landscape?