MikeRich

Mystery! shrimps are gone who did it ? Lol

6 posts in this topic

Ok today I was checking on my social tank. This tank I monitor behavior of species. 4 dozen or more grass shrimp for weeks lived with smaller than them 15 crawfish 2 darters 4 salamanders 3 mystery fish I thought were dace or darters but they are not them. They are more interesting to watch they even move to the font for attention and to indicate they are hungry. I noticed no enlarged stomachs and all shrimp are gone in 48 hrs. I can't figure this out are salamanders aggressive eaters? Only other organisms in social tank are brown ramshorn and water ferns/Sprite. Tanks size 75 gal. with mixture of beach sand and mountain river rocks. Slow flowing filter.

I think after studying the behavior of the tank everything is more active. Maybe increase or decrease of temperature allowed slower crawfish and salamanders to help and maybe even the fish adapt to the shrimp diet. Before this happened I had two of the same kind of shrimp live in the tank for year before noticed they were gone. Figure just them living their lifespan.only the salamanders was new to the social tank and I noticed no aggression towards the shrimp when I had them.

So salamanders was innocent and became next victims also one mystery fish(smallest) is gone . Two remaining mystery fish seem slimmer. Crawfish seem more active. In conclusion crawfish may be aggressive towards microlivestock unless easier more abundant food source is available. Also two larger mystery fish I will post pictures soon they may have helped with the shrimp loss.

Further observation proves that salamanders are great hidders and slightly natural.social tank culture doing well . Seems salamanders crawfish smaller fish snails can co exist for long periods of time. Larger areas in simi controlled environments can support diversity aquatic microlivestock. I have a list of 25 aquatic animals and over 15 plus aquatic plants can co exist in small pond or AP systems maybe creating richer nutrients with more diversity of microlivestock.

So mystery solved. Shrimp can be eaten by all 3 fish crawfish and salamander. Currently feeding them all shripmill. In conclusion if anyone wanted to use a combination of salamander crawfish and smaller fish could be adapted to AP system .

Salamander And crawfish doing great together in social tank. I've always heard many people have difficulties raising either but both live together with two fish with no problems. This small intelligent fish look similar to skinny perch with strips. No longer than my index finger . They will literally eat out of your hand. I'm close to identifying the fish. Other organisms in tank 2 small darters ramshorn snails algae and water sprites. Plan to catch more of all just how great they are doing maybe i can get some spawning that would be interesting.😀