Death

Phytoplankton and Brine Shrimp

11 posts in this topic

Just curious. Do you guys think it's a good idea/sustainable to maintain an AP system by feeding your fish only phytoplankton and brine shrimp you produced? Assume you have tilapia in a 100 gallon tank.

I did something similar in my green water system.  I went back to feeding catfish food due to growth being much slower with that method.  I did not grow brine shrimp as it really looked to be more trouble than it was worth.  I also supplemented with duckweed and azolla aquatic plants.   An issue I soon learned was that algae that is part of green water tends to clog gravel beds. So additional steps to deal with the generated solids from dead algae has to be taken.  

I guess you would have to ask yourself is the work going to be worthwhile for growing 10-20 fish as compared to the convenience of grabbing a scoop of feed one or more times per day.    If you want to be self sufficient in feed, look into growing scuds(gammarus), duckweed and azolla.  That will get you there with much less effort.

I did something similar in my green water system.  I went back to feeding catfish food due to growth being much slower with that method.  I did not grow brine shrimp as it really looked to be more trouble than it was worth.  I also supplemented with duckweed and azolla aquatic plants.   An issue I soon learned was that algae that is part of green water tends to clog gravel beds. So additional steps to deal with the generated solids from dead algae has to be taken.  

I guess you would have to ask yourself is the work going to be worthwhile for growing 10-20 fish as compared to the convenience of grabbing a scoop of feed one or more times per day.    If you want to be self sufficient in feed, look into growing scuds(gammarus), duckweed and azolla.  That will get you there with much less effort.

Thanks for the information. Those gammarus look prehistoric lol.

One more question if you have the time. Aside from gravel, do you think a floating grow bed would handle algae better?

Raft beds had the issue of accumulations on the roots and stifling growth.  It still happened just not as well as a system without algae would have.  Plants in the raft bed were 50% smaller than plants in a sand bed that I added much later after trialing a radial flow separator.   Interesting enough a wicking bed and sand bed were not bothered by the algae and is the best combination I have tried with such a setup.  After adding gamarus that ate on the algae and accumulations on the roots, growth was improved , but never close to the growth in a sand bed or wicking bed.

Raft beds had the issue of accumulations on the roots and stifling growth.  It still happened just not as well as a system without algae would have.  Plants in the raft bed were 50% smaller than plants in a sand bed that I added much later after trialing a radial flow separator.   Interesting enough a wicking bed and sand bed were not bothered by the algae and is the best combination I have tried with such a setup.  After adding gamarus that ate on the algae and accumulations on the roots, growth was improved , but never close to the growth in a sand bed or wicking bed.

I see. It seem with your experience, a wicking bed works well. I'll have to study that. Thank you for the information.

Yes shrimp my opinion great forage for for fish and other microlivestock. I grow the grass shrimp not salt required keeps my systems clean too eating even algae 😄

Yes shrimp my opinion great forage for for fish and other microlivestock. I grow the grass shrimp not salt required keeps my systems clean too eating even algae

Hmm I use grass shrimp for striper and sturgeon bait. Was not aware that they can be farm. Interesting.

Yes shrimp natural live in my river making it easy to adapt them to my systems for forage food cleaning ect. Great to watch in tanks and use as bait.

Does anyone have any good ideas for shrimp baskets or traps? I would like to raise a stock of shrimp in a basket stystem I can relocate to different bodies of water if necessary. Just trying to breed a good shrimp stock like some people do in baskets with tilapia. Any advice or opinions would be nice

Does anyone have any good ideas for shrimp baskets or traps? I would like to raise a stock of shrimp in a basket stystem I can relocate to different bodies of water if necessary. Just trying to breed a good shrimp stock like some people do in baskets with tilapia. Any advice or opinions would be nice

I use a cast nets for shrimp. If they're there, a cast net with small mesh will catch them.

Or do you mean one that separate them from another specie?

Yes keep them separate from other stuff basically let them grow and breed in peace. Been thinking of some ideas but ...... Need advice