GaryD

30 Projects in 30 Weeks

85 posts in this topic

Any link of pictures or videos of how rocketstoves and biochar work?. I am really interested in how this is producing or converting energy material ect. I would like to see one in operation this would help with better with the understanding of the product.

Hi,

Project #4 - iMovie/YouTube/Website/Facebook has become something of a Pandora's Box.  It seems that the more I learn, the more I need to learn.

We've got a friend who knows his way around Facebook pretty well so we've got a reasonable grip on the mechanics.  He's also showed me how to integrate Facebook, YouTube and our new web site into a marketing strategy.  That's been particularly helpful in that I now have a clearer picture of what belongs where and how it relates to the other elements.

With our Facebook presence largely in hand, this week will be largely about finishing my little Demo System iMovie and getting it up onto YouTube.....and getting the website done.

The iAVs Demo System still has to be commissioned but a rainy weekend has delayed that.....coupled with the fact that I need to move it and that will require  that I unload it.   Clairvoyancy would be a useful skill for those undertaking project sprints.

BTW, the rainy weekend didn't mean I got to sit around.  I got to move 40 barrow loads of tree mulch into the Permaculture garden.

I have Projects #3 - #6 due by the end of this week so things are going to be very busy for the rest of this week.

Gary

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)

Project #1 - The iAVs Bucket Tests - completed and now available.....HERE.  I'm still working on turning this article into a structured presentation.

The link you give only goes to the iAVs article on how to do the tests.

Were are the results of the test you did?

Hi,

The link you give only goes to the iAVs article on how to do the tests.

Were are the results of the test you did?

I was waiting for all of the "vital" information that you suggested that I failed to provide......lest the test results be incomplete.

Gary

Hi,

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum.  My professional role fell victim to an organisation re-shuffle.

Five days ago, my employer indicated that they wanted to re-arrange the deck chairs and signalled that they wanted to discuss terms for my departure.  

To cut a long story short, there wasn't much to negotiate.  They made me an offer that was too good to refuse.

While I'm still getting over the suddenness of it all, I'm experiencing a sense of elation that can best be described as a natural high.  

As it turns out, I've been planning and working toward this day for quite a while so I know exactly what my next career looks like. 

Effective immediately, I'll be taking up my new role as a Microponics/iAVs/Waste Transformation Farm/Permaculture Consultant.....and, in that capacity, I'm available to travel (almost) anywhere for (almost) anyone who wants to pick up the tab.

When I'm not doing that, I'll be working on my Permaculture micro-farm.

Of course, it's fair to say that nothing of a practical nature has happened around the '30 Projects' thing for the past several days but I'll be back into it tomorrow.....maybe!

Gary

neighbor and ande like this

Congratulations! Especially for the fact that they made you a great offer! Can't wait to see the result of having you 'off leash.' :D

Congratulations! Especially for the fact that they made you a great offer! Can't wait to see the result of having you 'off leash.' :D

Thanks Wendy.   I'm excited to the point where my wheels have been spinning for the past few days.  Hopefully, this unproductive phase will end soon and I'll start to capitalise on the great opportunity that my new situation presents.

Gary

Hi,

The process of adjusting my life to accommodate my new circumstances has kept me busy in recent days.

Much of that has about coming to grips with all of the things that I don't have to do now that I no longer have to front up for a mainland job any more - and I've been too restless to settle to anything that requires concentration.  I find myself stopping to consider new possibilities and opportunities....something that, while enjoyable of itself....achieves little of a practical nature.

While thinking has been a big part of the change, it hasn't all been wasted time.   To burn off the nervous energy, I've mulched the entire front yard - about 90 wheelbarrows of tree mulch and still counting.

The impromptu arrival of about the tree mulch (most of which has been used to mulch the front yard) has already elevated another project in the list.....more about that later.

Gary

that was quick! no dragging it out to the end of the financial year or giving you a month to think about it.

Edited by yahoo2 (see edit history)

that was quick! no dragging it out to the end of the financial year or giving you a month to think about it.

Yeah.....tell me about it.  

I was expecting to go another 12 months but fate took a hand and suddenly I find myself with a financial outcome greater than working my time out.....but without having to actually show up.  I always felt that I had the best job in the world.....but not even I realised that it was that good.

I'm glad they didn't give me time to think about it.  They might have realised what they'd done and withdrawn the offer while I was looking to see where the catch was.  I'm very happy with the outcome.

Gary

ande and neighbor like this

Hi,

I'm running about ten days behind.....not unreasonable give the recent twist that fate has sent my way.

• I've moved Project #3 - iAVs Demo Unit to another location and resumed the fine tuning and start up.
  • I'm underway with Project #4 - Video/YouTube/FaceBook/Web site.  The video is of the Demo Unit build so that's still happening.  The iAVs Facebook Page and Group is up and going - and I've started the web site (and still have plenty to do).
  • I've begun to gather up all of the components for Project #5 - microFish Farm 2.0.....today.  That may be delayed by the need for some stainless steel hardware but I'm planning to go to the mainland again early next week.
  • Project #6 - Trellis System is still lying in a heap at the back of the shed.

Now that I've begun to get off my backside, I'm hopeful that I can catch up the lost time pretty quickly.

My next four projects:

• Project #7 - Verge Garden
  • Project #8 - Bug Hotel
  • Project #9 - Quail Pens
  • Project #10 - still undecided.

In the meantime, I'm still spreading the mountain of tree mulch that I've barrowed onto the front garden.....and 'herself' keeps adding to the list of things that she now assumes that I have the time to do.

Gary

resumed the fine tuning and start up.

Since "Startup" occurs first, when you connect the FT to the SB via the pump.

What is meant by "Fine Tuning"?

Since "Startup" occurs first, when you connect the FT to the SB via the pump.

What is meant by "Fine Tuning"?

Just ensuring that everything is level and that the flow to each sand bed is the same.....and setting up the timer.....and anything else that's involved in getting a new system up and going.

Are you genuinely curious.....or is another momentous hair about to be split?

Old Prospector likes this

Just ensuring that everything is level and that the flow to each sand bed is the same.....and setting up the timer.....and anything else that's involved in getting a new system up and going.

Are you genuinely curious.....or is another momentous hair about to be split?

genuinely curious

So are you going to record the steps you do for ''fine tuning" as a teaching guide?

Seems to me that it would be valuable information if you explain the steps you take.

So when do you think you will be able to plant anything?

What are you planning on growing?

Edited by Old Prospector (see edit history)

Hi OP,

It won't a very long teaching guide.  I think I covered off most of what involved......getting it level, adjusting inflow to each sand bed, setting the timer......and (the most important one) just standing there daydreaming and watching the water disappear into the sand with the draining water providing an audio backdrop.  That one has already taken an hour or two.

I can probably plant any time.....once I've decided what to plant.  Got any ideas?

It's only four square feet.....probably only space for one plant in each sand bed.....unless we're talking radishes.

I had thought about starting seeds for transplanting into my soil-based garden.  I spend far too much on seedlings so this little unit could pay for itself just by serving as a seedling unit.

I can also erect a frame over the top of the system should I decide to grow a vine plant or two.

Gary

neighbor likes this

Hi,

I've just completed another piece of Project #4 - Video/YouTube/Facebook/Website.  I just published iAVs Demo System -  Part 1 to YouTube - although, as you can see, I've forgotten how to link to YouTube.  I'd appreciate a reminder on how to post YouTube videos into APN.....it's obviously different to how you do it on Facebook.  I had planned to do the video in iMovie but Version 10 failed to impress me so I decided to go with Screenflow - a screencasting tool with much greater flexibility.....NTM that screencasting is part of our future communications strategy.

I'm going to go straight ahead with another video of the demo unit - Part 2 - and that will be about the start up and operation of the system.

Anyway, there's now just a bit more work required to get that up and going......and then I can close off Project #4.

Meanwhile, feel free to point out any errors or omissions in the video.

Gary

Hi Gary

I just cut/paste in the web adress

The light from your PC is reflecting in your glasses so it looks like your eyes are closed

Nice 1. production

cheers

Hi Ande,

Thanks for your support.....and the suggestion re the glasses.

Over time, I'll set up better lighting and a more amenable backdrop.

Interestingly, I had a video production unit in my team at work.  I was just able to say "do this" or "do that" and it happened due to the skillset and professionalism of my crew.  Now that's gone, and doing this and that yourself is a different matter entirely......but I'll get there.

Thanks also for the 'how-to' on YouTube.  I usually hit the Share buttton and cut and paste the Embed code.  I didn't realise that it was so simple.

Gary

Hi,

I'm still adjusting to the daily routine associated with having every day as a weekend.  I'm like a kid in a candy store (as our US friends would have it) with all of my time my own - for the first time in almost 50 years.  Suffice to say, I'm loving it.

There is a downside, however, that impacts my '30 Projects' program.  Prior to becoming a full-time professional waste transformation farming consultant, I was able to procure the dozens of little things that one needs from hardware stores whenever I wanted.  Now, I have to wait until I have a heap of things to do (and get) in order to justify the cost of taking my truck to the mainland on the barge.

Anyway, the most immediate impact of this is Project #5 - microFish Farm 2.0....which is currently overdue.  I have fish arriving next week so I need to get something in the way of a simple RAS happening....today!   So, I'm going to postpone Version 2.0 for a few weeks and just build the small unit that I used prior to coming to live on Macleay Island.  It features a mega bin, my Nexus Eazy filter and a combination sump tank and moving bed biofilter.

It lacks some of the finesse of the Version 2.0 design but it will host the fish comfortably enough while I get other things happening.

Photos later.

Gary

neighbor, mhaigh and ande like this

Hi,

I've just completed Project #5 - microFish Farm Lite...(was originally Version 2.0 as explained in my last post) and you can see the photos.....HERE.

And another one bites the dust (as the song goes)......and we're ready for the 100 jade perch that are due to arrive around Thursday of next week.

Gary

Hi,  when you mentioned a desktop iAVs unit I was thinking wow maybe a cute little thing with a liter of sand and a small fountain pump to grow a house plant or something micro.  Then I read 100 liters of sand. 

You simply must have a "very large desk" down under or mine is too small and too cluttered.  My design in on the board now. 17 liters with a back up of 1 or 2 liters for the small desk I have. I want to use net cups if I cant start from seed in the sand. I will try both when ready.  I will do a sand net cup first to see what happens.

Hi,  when you mentioned a desktop iAVs unit I was thinking wow maybe a cute little thing with a liter of sand and a small fountain pump to grow a house plant or something micro.  Then I read 100 liters of sand. 

You simply must have a "very large desk" down under or mine is too small and too cluttered.  My design in on the board now. 17 liters with a back up of 1 or 2 liters for the small desk I have. I want to use net cups if I cant start from seed in the sand. I will try both when ready.  I will do a sand net cup first to see what happens.

Hi Deuem.....I called it a desktop system until i decided on the sand beds at which point it shifted to being a demonstration unit.....for the reasons that you've identified.

There's no reason why you can't start your plants from seed.  In fact, that would be better for the fact that you'll avoid the transplant shock that occurs with using seedlings.

Gary

Ok Sir Gary, I will proceed and test starting with seeds. Will advise if they sprout and grow. Need to go and find some sand. Or sift it from a creek bed. Lots of work ahead and a few field trips with tools.  Thanks,

Hi,

Over nine weeks has elapsed since I commenced the '30 Projects' program.

In that time, I have completed four of the projects that I nominated.....and I'm close to closing off the fifth one - so I'm four projects behind schedule.  

I started out to make a video (using iMovie) of the 5-Gallon Bucket Tests.  Midstream, I abandoned iMovie for another program which refused to upload - so, following in the heels of my success with the Demo Unit movie, I set out to create the production in the same package.  When I went to upload it, I discovered that it was about 2Gb.....and, while YouTube's compression capability is allegedly impressive, it obviously baulked at this puppy.  So, my next move is to dismantle the video and chunk it down into several parts in the hope that YouTube will find that more acceptable.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that, throughout the same period, I've continued to develop the front yard.  That has included moving over 100 barrow loads of tree mulch from the roadside into the garden......and we continue to add new plants to the garden on a weekly basis.  The whole thing is starting to take shape.

I also made a little movie about the construction of the iAVs Demo Unit.....and uploaded that to YouTube.

Allied to the YouTube project, is the creation of a new iAVs web site......in which I've invested quite a few hours.

Then, I became unemployed in circumstances that delighted me.  Suffice to say, all productive activity ceased for several days while I pondered my good fortune.

That sense of euphoria lasted until this morning - when I stepped off the veranda sideways and twisted my ankle.

I'm still confident that I'll get back on track.....but I'm more convinced than ever that project management has more to do with luck/fate than management.

Gary

Hi,

In that time, I have completed four of the projects that I nominated.....and I'm close to closing off the fifth one - so I'm four projects behind schedule.  

Gary

Gary

Its time to start taking Gingko Biloba. I've told you in the past that you contradict  yourself in your writings.

And now you are doing it on the same page, same topic.

On 21 May, Post #70 above,  just 11 days ago.

You wrote that you completed Project #5,  your micro-fish farm.

I first tried to PM you the above, but when I, clicked the send button it gave me a error message stating that you can't receive any more PM messages. Time to clean out the old messages.

​