GaryD

30 Projects in 30 Weeks

85 posts in this topic

Hi,

Next week, I have 30 weeks to go until my 65th birthday.....so I've decided to engage in a personal project sprint where I attempt to complete 30 projects in 30 weeks.

Each of the projects seeks to underpin our food and financial security.  The timing acknowledges that I am approaching retirement age, and while I don't expect to cease working in my current role on my 65th birthday, it's appropriate that I should begin to transition into my next career.

The 30 projects are things that I want to do, learn and build.  

All of them arise from my general view that "small is beautiful".....so they relate to my various micro interests.......micro-farming/microponics, micro-manufacturing, micro-publishing, micro-business, micro-housing, et al.

More later.

Gary

neighbor likes this

Happy birthday, Gary.  Many happy returns of the day (I don't know when) and god bless you!

I am worried (a bit) why you didn't mention iAVs sand beds food production system anywhere here nor you are updating anything at the iAVs info page.  Losing interest or focus change like most everyone does?

Edited by vkn (see edit history)

Happy birthday, Gary.  Many happy returns of the day (I don't know when) and god bless you!

I am worried (a bit) why you didn't mention iAVs sand beds food production system anywhere here nor you are updating anything at the iAVs info page.  Losing interest or focus change like most everyone does?

VKN.....my birthday is 30 weeks away.....but thank you for your best wishes.

I'm still putting the project list together but you need not fear.....iAVs will be well-represented.  

I've been taking a brief sabbatical from iAVs in recent weeks.  I'd been at it fairly steadily for over a year.....and I needed to catch up with a few non-iAVs things that had been neglected.  Now that they are sorted, I'm back into it again with renewed vigour.

You can anticipate movement around the website within the next week or two.

Gary

Hi,

Here's the first 18 projects:

1. 5-Gallon Bucket Test
  2. Desktop iAVs System
  3. Front Yard Pergola
  4. Festool Woodworking System
  5. Woodturning
  6. Airbrushing
  7. microFish Farm 2.0
  8. Vortex Compost Tea Brewer
  9. iAVs Car Park System
  10. Mini-wetlands - greywater recycling system
  11. Tiny Transport
  12. PT Waste Transformation Demonstration System
  13. Biochar
  14. Battery Testing and Fault Diagnosis - using a multimeter
  15. Rocket stove
  16. Microponics Ark
  17. Rainwater storage
  18. Permaculture Nursery

The order of some of the projects may change...and another 12 need to be added to the list.  At the start of each week, I'll describe each project and, at week's end, I'll report on the outcome.

Gary

ande likes this

Hi Gary

Man you are inspiering putting up a list like that :bow:

Nice energy & spirit :)

cheers

Thanks Ande.   For reasons that you may remember, I don't waste time like I used to.

Week #1 - 5 Gallon Bucket Test

While this project is not due to start 'til next Monday, I'll provide the overview now.

People have indicated that they have had trouble sourcing sand of the type needed for iAVs.

This project (which takes the form of a how-to presentation) seeks to provide information - and some simple tests - to make the task much easier.

Gary

mhaigh likes this

Gary,

That will be most helpful, I am looking forward to your presentation!

As you know, I was so focused on particle size during my sand expedition, and assumed that the sand purveyor knew what was in his sand that I was caught by surprise with the amount of carbonates.

Hopefully your how-to will include a quick acid bubble test procedure to check for suitability. Appearances can be deceiving!

Needless to say, your couch WON'T be getting much of a workout over the next 210 days!

Go Get'em!

You don't have to wait for the 5-Gallon test for something that indicates the presence of carbonates. 

Take a handful of sand, pour plain white vinegar on it and, if it bubbles, it's got carbonates in it.

We'll also propose separate pH testing since carbonate sources are not the only influence over pH in sand.

Mark and I have been surprised by the apparent frequency of sand vendors not knowing what's in their sand.

Good luck . Nice to see someone that busy in this area of aquaculture. Really interested in your plans for 16 17 18. My mind doesn't even know where to start on such projects.

Good luck . Nice to see someone that busy in this area of aquaculture. Really interested in your plans for 16 17 18. My mind doesn't even know where to start on such projects.

The '30 Projects' is not just about aquaculture.  It spans all of my interests.

haha, I won't say I'm disappointed at all to see the 5 gallon test up there at the top. Is this how vkn posted it over on the scaled-down iAVs thread?  oooh, and a desktop version!!  and a mini-wetlands! and… and… !! :)

Anyway, way to go with the 30/30 plan! Go Gary!

I'm just barely treading water between the younger & older generations of my family all falling apart at the same time. It's a wonder I get anything done.

Thanks Wendy.

I spent some of yesterday ensuring that I had everything I need for the Bucket tests.  VKN's description of the tests, while useful, omitted some of the more important ones.  If things go to plan, I should have the entire repertoire sorted - by week's end.

Gary

neighbor likes this

Keep up the good work! Keep those projects going. You have inspired me to further my research and upgrade my projects.

Hi,

The first of the '30 Projects'.......the iAVs 5 Gallon Bucket Tests......got underway yesterday.  Fortunately, I had everything I needed so it was only a matter of doing the tests while capturing the photos and video that I need for the presentation.

I used two types of sand......one from a local beach (about 150 metres away) and some filter sand that I had purchased several weeks ago.   I included the beach sand because it will allow me to demonstrate what happens when you use the wrong type of sand.  The filter sand is at the other end of the spectrum......triple-washed and graded.....and will show what things look like when the correct sand has been identified.

The sand that I'm using for the tests will be rolled over into the next project.....a small iAVs demonstration system.

Gary

neighbor likes this

Hi,

I've made good progress on the 5-Gallon Bucket Test project this week......but....I need some technical assistance with a couple of the videos and the bloke who would provide that help is not available 'til next Monday (Australia time).  When it's Monday in Australia, it's still Sunday in the US......so I'm going to engage in a little technical sleight of hand with my delivery date for this project.

By way of consolation, I've added a short article on "Where (and where not) to Access Sand" to the iAVs website.

Gary

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)
neighbor likes this

So bucket test is to show how the properties of sand naturally filter water? Also some types of sands are better qualified for filtration?

So bucket test is to show how the properties of sand naturally filter water? Also some types of sands are better qualified for filtration?

Yes.

Awesome glad I'm understanding this good 😀 Can't wait for next project to begin.

Hi,

I've made good progress on the 5-Gallon Bucket Test project this week......but....I need some technical assistance with a couple of the videos and the bloke who would provide that help is not available 'til next Monday (Australia time).  When it's Monday in Australia, it's still Sunday in the US......so I'm going to engage in a little technical sleight of hand with my delivery date for this project.

By way of consolation, I've added a short article on "Where (and where not) to Access Sand" to the iAVs website.

Gary

There's been another intervention that may delay the completion of the first project......by a day or two.

I'm reminded that doing something like the '30 Projects' thing is not just impacted by my own motivation (or lack thereof).  If there are other people involved, the timetable can be affected.....particularly on a something as short as a weekly time cycle.

The good news is that Project #3 - the front yard pergola - looks like being finished by the end of this week......so I'll hopefully be back on track with the first three projects (including Project #2 - the desktop iAVs system) being completed by not later than the end of the third week.  The front yard pergola will provide valuable vertical growing space, a good relaxation area and will prevent the afternoon sun from being able to shine on the front of the house - so I'm excited at the prospect of having this one under my belt.

Clearly, wishing it so is no substitute for sound project management skills.

Gary

neighbor likes this

Looks likes projects are going well. Seems with my projects I didn't factor in some things. For a example freak storm.this has caused some major delays ☹ï¸

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:59 AM

I had another brief chat with Paul Olivier today….during which he acknowledged that his 2015 document ws "tough going."  He also agreed to my translating his 2015 document (which is largely directed at scientists) into a form better suited to laypersons.

Gary

I, would like to see you add the above, added to your 30 in 30 project. 

Was disappointed when you never posted anything about your trip, especially with regards to Dr. Oliver, and the "translating his 2015 document".