MikeRich

Mosquito fish

37 posts in this topic

Film was in fact type of pollen guessing after yellow pollen season ends or around same time other less noticeable pollens happens during this time. So far no bug bites and the mosquito trap will be converted into a different system but function as a death trap to mosquitos still 😀

So I've decided to add duckweed and roseyreds next. I heard both help with mosquito larvae so overall mosquito control may increase and could be needed for future warmer weather. Later may introduce family members or similar fish of both mosquito fish and roseyreds just see how they do. Possible few other kinds of aquatic plants and terrestrial plant I will place around the perimeter of the trap/future new system.

Never did got with original plan . I added aquatic plants but only similar moss type like marimo. So far even with rain and other nearby water systems no increase of mosquito activities have been noticed.my uncle who has some understanding of AP and MP settings. He claims that mosquitos fish family is been overlooked and understudied. I don't wish to write a book but they have talpia beat unless you want to eat the talpia. Mosquito fish uses include pest control bait feeder fertilizer help break down waste. More per gallon than talpia. Less oxygen and can live in poorer water conditions they have less reproductive problems than talpia. I could go on but it is a certainty that mosquito family adapt mutate and survive more diversely than most aquatic life. Mosquito fish crosses with for example guppies increase size and immunity. These crosses can also continue to breed and mix with others in same family.

Tilapia sorry auto speller needs be fixed again since update.😀

So after further observation and a second opinion. The mosquito fish population in my trap has some guppy descendants. When I first started this new group with 3 younger female mosquito fish and pair of large green guppies.i kept them in a 20 gallon until it got warm. The female guppy died. warmer weather when I moved them temporarily to the mosquito trap area. Soon due to unknown causes the male guppy died. I later moved the remaining 3 remaining female mosquito fish to a larger pool that previous no fish lived. Year or so past and now I have 100s. I returned the new generation so the trap thats when l noticed and others neon colors on the fish. Some with green stripes and others with fancier tales. I now have babys born in trap area too. 😀

Glad to report no aggressive mosquitos in the area also no dragonflies. We have had way above average rainfall this year and was expected more than normal insect activity. Keeping all standing water away from home except for water with hungry fish may be working.😀

Glad to announce my mosquito fish trap been. Working all summer. Even with the overgrowth and common rain falls . I've watch the mosquito fish pull down insects trying to lay eat in the water so they are very aggressive. Love the fact mosquito fish give live birth to larger fry and fast growing. 3 females in a year time turned into countless amounts. They can travel unsure how but short distances for one pool to others. Very adaptable fish even though mosquito larvae their favorite food they will eat almost anything even plant material.

I grabbed some from our local river, thinking they were just minnows, but I think they are mosquito fish. We have tons of mosquito larvae in our rain tanks and pool, so dropped about 20 in each (4 x 6K gal rain tanks, pool is 2K gal). About a week later, not a mosquito ANYWHERE. They really do well.

I don't know if they will breed in our tanks, as they are plastic tanks, but they have been wonderful for the mosquito population, so I hope they survive.

Mosquito fish can live in very harsh conditions over 100 degrees to under zero they will live. They have the ability to change genes up to 20 percent in one generation. This family of fish was one of the first to travel to space and they lived. This fish breath air and can live short periods of time out of water. They also have the ability to cross breed with guppy family and give birth to fertile younge carrying both parents traits. These offspring normally are larger and healthier than the first generation . Cross breeding mosquito fish can be difficult espically male guppy female mosquito fish cross. 

these are loving the pool, and they are keeping the tanks clean, so I'm happy for them to breed. The rain tanks are about 60F, the pool is around 80F, so they might breed in the pool.  I've had guppies before, and they look very similar, if they are easy to breed as guppies, I should have a few million in a couple of months. :)

Because of size I would not eat them but they make ok fish bait and could be used to make mill or fertilizer . They breed so fast In a year i had thousands . They give live birth do not lay eggs by time the are birthing 3 or 4th spawn the first two are giving birth and can produce over 4 dozen offspring and actually large for fry when born .