bcotton

Bcotton's EPIC backyard conversion , Aquaponic Cowboy!

108 posts in this topic

yah things are going good but spending all my free time working on the garden and not documenting it or updating progress.. but i am certain things will slow down when it temps hit a hundred in a couple months and i will have time to catch up on updates

not aquaponics  but this weekend i   built a couple of kratky hydroponic beds using junk i had laying in my back yard (leftovers from other projects)

20180422_180648.jpg

20180422_180657.jpg

20180422_180701.jpg

Hi bcotton

Nice junk :thumbsu:

cheers

GaryD likes this

I love that Kratky method.  Really works well with very little effort!

This weekend's project is digging trenches. I am having an electrician come out next week to wire a couple of power drops out in my back yard so i dont have to run extension chords to the aquaponics anymore.

I got a bit of a startle,. I let him go, i recognize the benefits of good snakes.. especially if this is in fact a king snake.. but i dont like being around them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyydLMZr6FA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxNtaIkxLA

ande likes this

The cleanup is going good and almost done.. I am still getting stuff planted.. maybe next year i can start my plants on time and be on schedule.. but the stuff in the ground seems happy.

I also built a small demo system out of a 200 gallon acrylic aquarium someone was remodeling their office building and throwing it away.. I am still working on the water chemistry before adding feed trained black crappie to the system.. Currently its running with minnows and the water is amber because of the iron i added.. the eddha iron seems to affect water color the most of the chelates.. but i had to use it here because of the high PH buffering in the expanded shale substrate i am using.

apnana.jpg

bed1.jpg

bed4.jpg

demo.jpg

greens.jpg

seedlings.jpg

suns.jpg

trellis.jpg

ande likes this

Temperatures are starting to creep up to where it's very uncomfortable to work outside. We are in the m ind 90's right now and we will start hitting 100 degrees F this week with increasing frequency for the next ~3 months.

My fish tank and DWC water was already in the upper 80's so it motivated me to try to wire up and plumb in this old pool swamp cooler. It dropped water temps about 3-4 degrees the first 24 hours.. hopefully it will keep water under 80 for the whole summer.. i think high water temps was the reason for poor aquaponic plant performance last summer.

The other picture is showing a power drop.. i had a circuit run to each of the two pump boxes i use in the back yard.. One runs two large air pumps and the water pump that drives the whole system. This picture is of a smaller pump box that only had 2 air pumps but now its also running the swamp cooler.

7102874796782368285.jpg

8292959808974412303 (1).jpg

Hi bcotton

2 hours ago, bcotton said:

My fish tank and DWC water was already in the upper 80's so it motivated me to try to wire up and plumb in this old pool swamp cooler. It dropped water temps about 3-4 degrees the first 24 hours.. hopefully it will keep water under 80 for the whole summer.. 

7102874796782368285.jpg

How much power does it consume ?

cheers

ande,

i am not 100% certain. I got this cooler second hand and i am not the type of person to look up manuals online.. i just wired the cable to a 120V plug and connected 2" pvc to the in and outlets... I really had no idea how it would work or if it would work... The fan on top has a label and appears to pull about 3 amps on a 120V plug so thats about 400 watts/hr. I dont know what the sump pump draws , and it only runs a few seconds out of every minute... but i could definately save power if i redesigned it to drain back into the systrem instead of needing to be pumped out of the pan.

The aquaponic pump (the pump in my aquaponics sump) pumps the water into the chiller and then it just drips the water over the surface area and a fan blows on it.

then the water drips into the chiller catch pan and when the catch pan fills up the sump pump in the bottom pumps the cooled water back into the system.

now that its online i realize i need a catch pan underneath the catch pan   because if/when the sump pump fails i am going to have a huge mess and probably dead fish... it would have been easy to set it up so it just drains back into the system and doesnt use the chiller pump at all (which i will probably redo it in the fall for next summer so that it works that way.

20180601_094103.jpg

20180601_094111.jpg

20180601_094130.jpg

ande likes this