GaryD

Aquaponically-grown Medical Marijuana

Hi,

Canada, it seems, has just licensed its first aquaponics medical marijuana grower.

If we thought aquaponics had already attracted more than its fair share of nutters and snake oil salespeople, I suspect we're about to see a new generation of aquaponics alchemists turning bullsh!t into gold.

Don't get me wrong.  I think it's great that governments are finally switching on to the benefits of legalising marijuana (both medical and recreational - and the taxation opportunities are incredible) - and those who derive comfort from its use - but picture the conversation that will flow from an amalgamation of aquaponics' fringe lunatics and the stoners.

Gary

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)

There are actual uses for cannabis other than eating or smoking. There are increasing reports of relief from arthritic pain from cannabis oil applied topically.  Most of what I've seen  is mostly anecdotal.  I would love to see credible studies on this.  With a spouse that suffers debilitating pain that modern medicine has  not been able to provide  relief, we would entertain a trial.  Though using it to be out of our mind is not something either of us would want. We don't even drink alcohol.

Hi,

I'm totally supportive of the notion of medical marijuana......and even recreational use for those who choose to use it.  I think that it's utterly stupid that alcohol and cigarettes, with all of the problems that they cause, are legal - while marijuana is not.....not to mention the outrageous use of public funds to enforce its prohibition.

Let's agree that aquaponics already has its share of nutters and shysters.....and so does the marijuana lobby......so (and this is the point that I was making) when they and the stoners get together.....should produce some 'interesting' outcomes.

Gary

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)

Hi Ravnis

There are actual uses for cannabis other than eating or smoking. There are increasing reports of relief from arthritic pain from cannabis oil applied topically.  Most of what I've seen  is mostly anecdotal.  I would love to see credible studies on this.  With a spouse that suffers debilitating pain that modern medicine has  not been able to provide  relief, we would entertain a trial.  Though using it to be out of our mind is not something either of us would want. We don't even drink alcohol.

You might find some help here http://arthritis.ca/news-and-media/news-releases/arthritis-society-helps-patients-navigate-the-confusing-world-of-medical-cannabis

Arthritis Society helps patients navigate the confusing world of medical cannabis

cheers

Some of the cannabis growers are very very good hydroponic growers, just on that base it would be good to have some of their input.

Being from dutch origin, I more or less grown up with it. Interestingly cannabis use is higher in Australia then in the Netherlands, while it's legal there...

In the 19 th century you had opium houses all over Europe; some writers of that time got their inspiration from that.

I believe in peoples abilities to take decisions for them self not in the nanny state where government act as a big daddy.

I lived in Indonesia in the early nighties under Suharto and seen the impact of the extreem big daddy approach (not even talking about indo approach on cannabis, think schapelle corby).

On another note, I seen my father suffering in the final stages of cancer on extreme high dosis of morfine/ketamine & methadone. Would had been great if medical cannabis was available at that time as it often seems to give relief after chemotherapy.

Bigdaddy approach?.. Extreme bigdaddy?...ummmm...What's wrong with that? :)...

Seriously I would not at all entertain legalizing Marajuana... Nor any other non legalized drug in Australia for recreational use...I have seen first hand the effects of these drugs...However The legal use of these drugs for medical use under our current regulations and guidelines would be worthwhile IMO if proved to be beneficial...After all, the use of morphine is used medically today under our regulations acts and guidelines and it's benefits and of course side effects are well known...

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

Other members of the cannabis family also known as hemp has many uses. Fibers can be used for ropes and other useful material. cannabis produces high amounts of oxygen. The seeds of hemp is considered by many as a superfood. Once i did grow medical strains legally on a alfalfa plantation. This was a summer job located near bends Oregon. We had indoor hydroponics on timers and greenhouses with a rich soil base . We used all fox farm products and produced on average 2-3 pounds per plant in 3 to 5 months but once produced nearly 7 pounds with one plant in the greenhouse system. Problems that we did have was connected systems can spread pest like spider mites irrigation piping . Lots of upkeep on a full scale operation and sodium lighting temperature control fans fertilizer ect cuts off on major profit plus getting tax by government.ðŸ™

Bigdaddy approach?.. Extreme bigdaddy?...ummmm...What's wrong with that? :)...

Seriously I would not at all entertain legalizing Marajuana... Nor any other non legalized drug in Australia for recreational use...I have seen first hand the effects of these drugs...However The legal use of these drugs for medical use under our current regulations and guidelines would be worthwhile IMO if proved to be beneficial...After all, the use of morphine is used medically today under our regulations acts and guidelines and it's benefits and of course side effects are well known...

Cheers.

To each, their own....I see no rational reason why marijuana should not be available in the marketplace for the sole reason that more harmful substances (tobacco and alcohol) are already legally available.  Once the government gets a sense of the sort of tax take that's in 'grass' they'll be into it  like pigs in poop.   The domino effect has started in the US and will, I predict, come to Australia, in very short order.  I give it five years.

Other members of the cannabis family also known as hemp has many uses. Fibers can be used for ropes and other useful material. cannabis produces high amounts of oxygen. The seeds of hemp is considered by many as a superfood. Once i did grow medical strains legally on a alfalfa plantation. This was a summer job located near bends Oregon. We had indoor hydroponics on timers and greenhouses with a rich soil base . We used all fox farm products and produced on average 2-3 pounds per plant in 3 to 5 months but once produced nearly 7 pounds with one plant in the greenhouse system. Problems that we did have was connected systems can spread pest like spider mites irrigation piping . Lots of upkeep on a full scale operation and sodium lighting temperature control fans fertilizer ect cuts off on major profit plus getting tax by government.

Non-THC hemp is a very useful plant.  It can be put to dozens of very practical uses and the fact that it is not grown in massive quantities is down to the corruption and stupidity of politicians.    Once the marijuana house of cards begins to fall, hemp will, I predict, become an overnight sensation.  It does everything that you can do with cotton and much more.....without the herbicides and pesticides.  It would also take the pressure off forests because it makes better paper than wood pulp.

Gary

Wow safe to say that hemp could be more beneficial than some of their medicinal cousins. Lots of practical uses and even seeds have great nutritional value. I'm most interested in the oxygen production. If non gmo hemp produces more oxygen than gmo corn than it could out produced oxygen production of rainforests and the corn belt. The corn belt of United States has gmo products to help production and a by product of this production is 40 percent more oxygen being produced than rainforests.

Once the government gets a sense of the sort of tax take that's in 'grass' they'll be into it  like pigs in poop.   The domino effect has started in the US

There's more money for the Gov't in keeping it illegal. Think of all the Gov't jobs tht will be lost.

Especially the local towns in S. TX want to keep it illegal. Years ago they had to turn in any money to the Federal Gov't, but those laws have changed they now get to keep everything, Money, Cars, Trucks

Homes, Buisnees, everything.

One little town on US 281 has a population of less the 200, but has a police force of over 20 officers. They all drive confiscated trucks, and the gas, maintance, etc is paid by the money they get from drug busts. 

It's like the sheriff in a small town in Lousianna that drives a very expensive sports car. They got it from a drug dealer they busted, and now it's his thru the dept. for his personal car.

These issues are insane. One little plant people have formed loopholes in economic and governmental systems. It's poop I can't grow whatever I want on private property.especially if what I'm doing has little or no major impact on anything else. Makes me feel like true freedom is less free. Guess still need to have laws for people to follow or government make money from them not being followed. All that extra cash people can get free gmo products provided by the government . ... In all reality seems situation is way worse than I'm describing.

I bet ya marijuana will be legalized in the USA within a few years but the industry will be regulated to protect the big corporate producers much like big tobacco.  Little guys won't be allowed to participate in the market.

Who cares about recreational marijuana but potheads. Yeah has medical purposes but seems like doesn't fix any symptoms permanently and you have to continuously use it. Hemp has more values. You can make 100s of products from it.hemp seeds are in top of most superfood list. This makes no sense for hemp to be illegal when it contains no thc or mind altering chemicals.

That is true but I just don't see why so much talk about a plant being good bad used for many reasons has so much controversy around it. It's just a plant. The plants that make liquor and other illegal drugs no one even thinks about or trys to regulate the growing of it. Why is a plant with less negative outcome under the influence or long term use than any legal medical or recreational drug. For example tobacco alcohol medical pills way worse for your health long term and illegal drugs are more addictive than marijuana.

Good news I guess 😀after reading industrial hemp is legal in my area. So in the future unless some laws of regulation keeps me from it .I plan to grow hemp possibly in AP system or hp. The plan would be to use hemp plant to make products such as rope and use the seeds to feed microlivestock or even eat them myself. Never eaten them before but they are sold locally in grocery stores already.