wjason777

Hornorum/ orange Mossambica

15 posts in this topic

I've been searching the net trying to find info on this breeder colony. Can't really find any info with people posting any info far as personal experience with this type of fish. There's a guy out of FL that's selling a colony for $400 plus shipping.

Do any having any info or experience with this type of breeds?

I like the whole idea of having a 99% all male off spring, but is it worth that money buying this colony ?

I know but thought they would be a similar fish.

How big is your system? FWIW I've had mixed sex in my aquaponics system and although one sex was smaller, for the few hundred I raised for the table it wasn't that big of a deal.

That is one of the combinations  that produce mostly male offspring.  The major selling point for his breeder colony are that it is supposedly higher fillet yield and that market research shows, red/ reddish orange fish sell better and command better prices.

What they may not tell you, is it only takes one female to produce up to 2000 offspring.  There is also sex reversal hormones that applied at a particular stage of growth that results in all males.

Tilapia are a tough fish and easy breeding fish, but other than that, there are much better fish to raise that produce much more meat per fish.  They are popular as they are toughter to kill htan other fish, but not impossible.

As Cecil points out, whether it is worthwhile depends on how many you wish to grow.  If you are planning on 1000s of fish, then it might be worhwhile.

Do you guys know if I where to breed the wami hybrids would I achieve the 99% male offsprings or close to it ?

Well right now. I have one 330gal FT and 100gal sump, with 2 GB aquaponics

Inside I have 2 75 gal and 1 125gal aquarium.

I'm planning to expand my outside system to 2 large GB with a 330gal sump and 4 330gal FT.

Thanks.

Please don't get angry but I think you're getting needlessly diverted with your obsession of producing all males for your size system, as it's just not big enough to justify it. Monster size commercial system yes. Your size system no.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

I had a system similar in size and the fact that there were smaller females was not a big deal. They all produced fillets at harvest.

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Yea you maybe right. I'm going to work with what I already have.

But I maybe just keep a variety of different breeds. Separate Them In each thank and experiment what type are best for my setup, and which ones people like the most.

Plus no one in my area have tilapia for sale. So I think there is some room to make a little cash once i start breeding n

And another reason why I was leaning toward that breeder colony. I was going to buy some fingerlings, red, golds, Mozambique,

It's going to cost me $230 to have them shipped here. That's about have the price of the colony. Why pay more and have better genetics and bigger filets ?

If you are new to fish keeping and attached growing systems, I would start with an inexpensive fish and learn on that. Mistakes and failures of equipment happen and it would break my heart to loose my new breeder colony due to inexperience and flush that amount of money down the drain.

If you are an expert at fish keeping then the breeder colony is not a bad choice, if his fish do indeed have better genetics and bigger filets.  I do not know, I had looked at an advertising from Cherry Snapper years ago, but reviews were mixed and it seemed fairly hyped up. 

I wound up buying relatively local(4 hour drive) and spent $200 for my first batch and have been running off descendents since. I had started with minnows and then moved up to gold fish and koi, before tilapia.  Even though my system had been running for 3 months , I still had new tank syndrome when adding the tilapia due to the load being 10 times greater than what I had, so a little forewarning to watch for that.

What ever you choose, I wish you luck.  Personally I would go with an inexpensive local fish till you make sure things like plumbing, backups, and contingency plans for equipment failures are figured out before spending lots of money on a breeder colony.

the hornomrum x mozambique cross. the ZY vs XY chromosomes of the parents supposedly make it to where none of the offspring can have XX and therefor no females. It is legitimate afaik.  It's interesting for sure but hornorum are completely illegal in texas , even with a permit. So i will never be able to try it out. I agree it's not practical for us backyarders but i try a lot of experiments that arent practical.

brian