Martz

High nitrates, nitrits and amoniac

Hi . I've just started my system 5 months ago and my nitrates ,nitrites and amoniac is skie hight. I did a partial water change of 90gal on a 180 gal , my water tank is between 71C to 72.5C and ph 6.9 I only got 6 fish left and started with 10 .

Any suggestions ?

Stupid question: did you cycle your system before adding the fish?

Was your system fine and all of a sudden your parameters spiked?

Did you do something or add anything that may have killed your bacteria?

Any oxygen issues?

Clogging of media?

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Yes I did cycle befor adding the fish I cycled for a week I added the fish after that all was fine until I added stress zyme. The only reason I added that zyme was because I got a few fish that died and thought my boi filter wasn't strong enought , so it gave me more beneficial bacteria, then water got all cloudy and all when't up ,

I got tree air stone going , it's a new system so no clogging .

I did an other partial water change of 50 gal. And it's seams to have dropped down, I'll know more tomorrow I guess , got 24 plants that are only 2 to 5 inches high, I was thinking of adding some water plants , that should help..

Thanks for the quick response

Martin

Hi M

Welcome to APN/HQ

Yes I did cycle befor adding the fish I cycled for a week I added the fish after that all was fine until I added.........

Stupid me I started my system going on six weeks not months

Your system got  "new tank syndrom"  http://www.petmd.com/fish/infectious-parasitic/c_fi_new_tank_syndrome

your system is not cyceled, it takes way more time than a week

spikes in amonia is normal until cyceled and matured filter

cheers

edit to add this http://aquaponicsnation.com/articles.html/_/articles/frequently-asked-questions/what-is-the-nitrogen-cycle-and-why-is-it-important-to-aquaponics-r18

Edited by ande (see edit history)

Ditto with what Andy said. Even if you opt to cycle WITH fish it takes longer than a week and you need to be really conservative with the fish.

It usually takes me 6 or 8 weeks to cycle my tanks from scratch. Faster if I add some cycled water and media. I'm also not a big believer in store bought bacteria. The bacteria we use aren't supposed to be spore forming so I question how they stay alive on the shelf. And they are autothrophs which mean they need oxygen to stay alive. How much oxygen is in a bottle on the shelf?

Here's a good link on cycling:

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

And the link Andy provided is even better!

I typically add nonfoaming ammonia from my Ace Hardware for fishless cycling. Prefer the API master test kit for testing ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Add enough ammonia to read 4 mg/l. Keep it at that level and wait for your test kit to show you nitrites. Keep the ammonia level up until your nitrites shoot up high and then nitrites and ammonia quickly drop to zero. You should also be reading nitrates. Once you can add a little ammonia and it quickly drops to zero along with your nitrites, you are "cycled" and ready to add fish.

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

I have three of them lol. Full of energy.

So I have been doing some changes , I did a few more partial water change , but my plan is to put the six fish I got left in my 30 gal tank. And set my grow bed apart from my tank and fish waste separater (that I call) lol it's basically a water rain fall drum and I took a second cover ,trimmed it to fit lower in the drum, I will clean them and start fresh.

One lil question , in my separater , I was thinking of adding about 4 inches of clay pebbles underneath the second cover , since the pebbles float well the water going down from my fish tank has no choice but to go through the pebbles to drain from the top. I will also get some little filters from a friend that is going to clean out there 50 gallon tank , thinking of putting them in the middle of my second cover where I have a 10 by 6 inch screen ,hopping to speed the process a lil. Does this sound right? Should I be doing this ?

Hi Martz

I will also get some little filters from a friend that is going to clean out there 50 gallon tank , thinking of putting them in the middle of my second cover where I have a 10 by 6 inch screen ,hopping to speed the process a lil. Does this sound right? Should I be doing this ?

Don't clean out the filters, in particular the media in the filters, and keep vet/moist in the transport.

Also water from your friends tank will contain nitrifying bacteria, and will indeed speed up the process.

There is a risk that you contaminate your system (deepending on the state of your friends system).

I would do it, under your circumstanses, good luck.

cheers

Not sure if i should start a new post for this but after reading the advice here i am questioning all the more whether my system is cycled correctly.

When i began to fishless cycle my system i had read to add ammonia to 2PPM and not to go over 3PPM because this would be harmful to bacteria.  

I had dowsed 200ml/day for around 1100 gallons bringing it to around 2PPM.   Ammonia and Nitrites have dropped to 0.  Nirates are 160+ and it looks like my pH has been dropping.  Water temperature has been around 65F.

If this is not correct how can i correct this mistake now?

Should i test it till ammonia is at 4PPM or now till 2PPM?  Add 400ml ammonia now instead of 200ml?

Thanks ...

I've been running a 50 gallon rain drop with clay pebbles for a bio filter, after two weeks I've added some water from my 150 gl tank that had about 4ppm of ammoniac in it , it gave me just a little under 2 ppm and within a day the water was clear of it and no sign of nitrites or nitrates, I'm waiting for ammonium chloride to get here so I can do what Cecil said ...

In the first 48 hr, once I had washed my drum , the water was showing 0 ammonia so I just let the system work by itself. After 4 days or so I checked it out again and it was showing me ammonia , I did not know what I was doing wrong and steal to this day , but one thing I tried was adding a air stone in my drum in my 1 1/2 pipe that was feeding my so called bio filter, and within a week all when't back to 0 ppm, I figure that the oxygen was low in my system .

Can a lack of oxygen cause ammonia?

Can a lack of oxygen cause ammonia?

Insufficient oxygen in an aquaponics system is very problematic......and arguably one of the main reasons why AP systems fail.....or fail to thrive.

The three key elements of an AP system......the bacteria, the fish and the plants.....all require oxygen......and (within reason) as much as they can get of it.