ande

DIY Build the original airlift

Hi vkn

Good video and great presentation!  Thanks for sharing it.

How much height can we lift the water using a similar airlift?  Any thoughts?

I'd say 10-15cm / 4-6inch. You can lift much higer, but you'd loose a lot of volum, so any higer a convetional pondpump is most often the better choise.

Airlifts is best to implement in the RAS design, from the setoff, with it's limitations (vertical lift) & advatedges (bonus aeration & no power curents, in the water).

There is a lot of disscusions regarding airlifts in old posts.

Velacreations LEAP (low energy AP), also Cecil, have some good threads  on his future plans/designs, where airlifts are sought implemented.  Those threads also contains some good links to koiphen forum (other designs) , all good reads if one plan to implement airlifts.

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)

Very interesting, Ande..I have been reading about airlift for some time but never got any inspiration even to just try..

This video is an eye opener...will definitely research more..I guess this would also be helpful to move/circulate the water body within a large fish culture tank.

PS: Sorry I had replied  to your comment 2 days go via email.  Thanks to Kellen for pointing out that mistake.

The only downside to airlifts is it's difficult to retrofit a system vs. designing it to fit a new system. I also had issues getting the optimum height of the 1.7 meters I needed for my outdoor summer system. Had to dig a trench for the airlift and raise the fish tank on several blocks, which was a pain. However the dwc tank that held the plants had to be a little higher than the fish tank to gravity drop back into the fish tank.

One thing I found perplexing was the loss of water level in the moving bed tank (mbbr) that received water via overflow from the clarifier tank, which received water from the fish tank via a siphon. Increasing the diameter of the siphon from the fish tank to the clarifier tank, and to the mbbr helped a lot.

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Instead of gluing the pressure chamber I think using rubber reducing couplings is better. This way You can clean out the pressure chamber 1mm holes with air pressure should they clog. See by brewer picture below.

Makes a lot of sense! I started using ferco couplings a while back on my conventional systems for easier cleaning and diassembly when the season was over or moving tanks. It was especially nice on either side of knife gate valves that can have issues, therefore one can easily change them out.

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hi again vkn

Very interesting, Ande..I have been reading about airlift for some time but never got any inspiration even to just try..

This video is an eye opener...will definitely research more..I guess this would also be helpful to move/circulate the water body within a large fish culture tank.

PS: Sorry I had replied  to your comment 2 days go via email.  Thanks to Kellen for pointing out that mistake.

Here is Velac's LEAP thread http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/topic/6622-low-energy-aquaponics-leap/

Lots of stuff on airlift in it

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)

Hi 

I built a trial airlift based on details supplied by the same people two years ago. I used a 90mm pipe and ran a 30 watt air pump.

The video shows the flow achieved as I varied the height of the outlet.

I was impressed with the flow, but I  have still not built the system.

Cheers

Joey

Hi

I just want to add that this to my previous post.  

This airlift works extremely well, if it is used in circulation mode at zero lift. Therefore the new system I  want to build for this will have zero lift. 

Also the water tank I wish to use as a sump, limited the length of my 90mm lift tube to 1.3 meters it still achieved a good flow as shown in 

the video.

Cheers

Joey

Hi Joey,

The airlift arrangement that your video illustrates is very useful for general aeration,  for creating a circular movement in the fish tank (which is used to move particulate matter within range of the pump or solids lifting outlet) and for stirring the tank contents.  In this situation, you position the outlet of the airlift right at the surface of the water.....for maximum movement of water.

Gary