GaryD

Micro-Dairies

4 posts in this topic

According to this article, micro-dairies are looming as one of the latest "slow food" trends.

I use a lot of milk and I'd be prepared to pay a substantial premium to be able to buy the sort of milk that was on sale when I was a kid.

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)

On one of my now rare trips to the supermarket I looked in horror at yogurt and quark at $10 /litre and ricotta and fetta at $20/kg, then in the fridge is a heap of grass fed organic unhomogenized  milk discounted to $1/litre so I purchased all of them and I am making my own.

The money I saved went towards some cultured butter from the same dairy company.

Good buying there, Yahoo.

Milk companies pay dairy farmers according to the butterfat content of their milk......and then remove most of the milk solids for use in cheese and other value-added products.....before selling what's left to consumers for several times the amount that they paid for the original milk.  Low fat milk is what we'd have fed to pigs thirty years ago.

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)

I made a mistake the yogurt was less than $10. ($5.70)

the dairy is Paris Creek

their milk is normally sold out or it hasn't been stacked on the shelf in the fridges. I think that is why it was discounted from $2.20/ litre. Still a bargain at that in my opinion.

I have taken to asking if they have any in the coldroom, it makes it hard to support a small producer when their product is not displayed.

I know quite a few others are going down the route of controlling their bottling and insisting on minimal processing scenic rim 4real milk in QLD springs to mind.

the micro dairy model would be completely different I imagine