Mike2

New member from the land of Oz

G'day

Spotted the website ..joined up.  Have been active with hydroponics for 30 odd years and would now like to expand my knowledge of Aquaponics.  Only thing I know about fish is eating them.-love fishnchips at the beach -can help out with hydro advise if anybody needs it. 

Any startup help be appreciated

cheers

Hi Mike,

Welcome to APN.

You can grow yabbies and other freshwater crayfish in recirculating aquaculture but it's not for the faint of heart......or the under-skilled.  They grow much better in ponds.

Gary

G'day Gary

Thanks for welcome...Had yabbies in my dam once but  was told they dig in and can destroy dams so removed them...mates really enjoyed that day..big feed of yabbies!

I have always wondered,having grown tomatoes hydroponically commercially-do you get the flavour as in hydroponics as full flavour is manipulated with elements?  an understand low feeder plants would thgrive but do the heavy feeders like tomnatoes capsicums etc taste as good-as you can tell am a real newbie to all this.

cheers

G'day Gary

Thanks for welcome...Had yabbies in my dam once but  was told they dig in and can destroy dams so removed them...mates really enjoyed that day..big feed of yabbies!

I have always wondered,having grown tomatoes hydroponically commercially-do you get the flavour as in hydroponics as full flavour is manipulated with elements?  an understand low feeder plants would thgrive but do the heavy feeders like tomnatoes capsicums etc taste as good-as you can tell am a real newbie to all this.

cheers

Hi Mike,

Assuming that there's no shortage of any of the essential nutrients (and micro-nutrients) in the waste produced by the fish, there will be no difference in nutritional profile (nor taste) than fruit grown in a properly constituted hydroponic mix.

In their rush to demonstrate the superiority of "organic" produce, AP evangelists will sometimes suggest that AP-grown food is superior - but any such claim comes from a prejudice about the source of hydro nutrients.  The fact is that both sources of nutrients have their sustainability issues.

Gary

Thanks for reply Gary.    Having been invovled with retailing hydroponics am well aware of the  ':organic' argument. I just told people that nitrogen is just nitrogen and whether you get it from chicken poo or from a manufacturing process it is still just nitrogen

Have been reading the links you provided and would appreciate your thoughts or anybody else on how to set up my first unit. Have some NFT channel [large enough for tomatoes which I have done hydroponically]   and would like to incorporate that using the fish nutrient.Just need help in setting up the fish tank.  the NFT channel is 2x lenghts of 6 metres with 36 holes for tomatoes. So will need enough nutrient to keep the plants happy. My Nft system used a buried 200litre tank [to help keep temp level] and another 200 litre top-up tank with just water..The 200 litre buried tank was adjusted daily.The pump ran 24/7 from the tank in the ground.

Am a great believer in foliar feeding so am sure this could be incorporated with any nutrient deficiency 

Anyhow, it is Spring here now and living in a cool temperate climate need to get outside and get my home grow hydro unit up and firing.

Cheers