vkn

Our experiments with IAVS..

816 posts in this topic

It was nice to receive such good luck wishes.  Thank you.

We added fish at Turquoise Commercial Aquqaponics farm yesterday on January 6, 2015.

Going by Turquoise's "Employee First" policy, it was the two operators from APD (association of people with disability) who added life (the first fish) into their Aquaponics system. Note: No VIPs invited!

post-4243-0-87050200-1452156572_thumb.jp

In the second picture, the "trio" owners/managers of Turquoise Aquaponics farm adding fish.

post-4243-0-23059900-1452156575_thumb.jp

It was best thing for me to do my small part as well on this wonderful occasion. There I am in the third picture.

post-4243-0-91387000-1452156576_thumb.jp

Fish added were 1-1/2 month old GIFT (genetically improved farmed tilapia) monosex Nile tilapia.

post-4243-0-36991400-1452156578_thumb.jp

Kudos to the Turquoise team, the directors/managers and employees!  Happy Aquaponicing!

Some more pictures from Turquoise.

In the pictures,

Turquoise Commercial Aquaponics farm operators from APD (association for people with disability)
1. G M Badappa
2. Rangaswamy

The 'trio' directors/managers of Turquoise Farms Agro Pvt. Ltd.
1. Saju Thomas
2. Sreejit Ramakumar
3. Shaik Mohamed Areif

post-4243-0-11597500-1452156999_thumb.jp

And, there is me with the team.

post-4243-0-97068400-1452156996_thumb.jp

Edited by vkn (see edit history)

The pictures of the DWC (deep water culture) beds are here.. now waiting for plants in the net pots.

post-4243-0-83040300-1452157231_thumb.jp post-4243-0-20403800-1452157229_thumb.jp

Here is the fish feed that we have been using for over an year without any reported issues.  We intend to continue using the same at Turquoise operations. In addition to this, we would also be feeding dried Azolla and fresh Moringa leaves, aiming to reach this supplementary ration at approx. 10-15% of feed weight per day.

The details of feed composition is in the attached cover picture.  Fish seem to love this and also the plants have not shown any visible nutrient deficiencies.

post-4243-0-05248200-1452178596_thumb.jp post-4243-0-89930000-1452178598_thumb.jp

We had several issues while using some other commercial fish feed brand; issues such as fish not eating the feed, mold infestation so soon, etc.  

After reading through various Dr. McMurtry's messages, it is very clear to me that in iAVs it's much more than just feeding the fish any feed whatever you get from the market!  I welcome and appreciate any further inputs or questions you may have!

Hi vkn

What fish specie(s) are you raising ? you had different types in some of your various systems.

You might have said earlyer but I forgott then :confused:

cheers

Hi Ande,

It was nice to receive such good luck wishes.  Thank you.

We added fish at Turquoise Commercial Aquqaponics farm yesterday on January 6, 2015.

Going by Turquoise's "Employee First" policy, it was the two operators from APD (association of people with disability) who added life (the first fish) into their Aquaponics system. Note: No VIPs invited!

attachicon.gifTurquoise Aquaponics farm 060115.jpg

In the second picture, the "trio" owners/managers of Turquoise Aquaponics farm adding fish.

attachicon.gifTurquoise Aquaponics farm 060115 (5).jpg

It was best thing for me to do my small part as well on this wonderful occasion. There I am in the third picture.

attachicon.gifTurquoise Aquaponics farm 060115 (4).jpg

Fish added were 1-1/2 month old GIFT (genetically improved farmed tilapia) monosex Nile tilapia.

attachicon.gifTurquoise Aquaponics farm 060115 (3).jpg

Kudos to the Turquoise team, the directors/managers and employees!  Happy Aquaponicing!

VKN......what is being done to acclimate the fish into the system? 

Gary

Hi vkn

What fish specie(s) are you raising ? you had different types in some of your various systems.

You might have said earlyer but I forgott then :confused:

cheers

Hi Ande,

For starters, it is monosex GIFT (nile tilapia) in all four tanks at Turquoise.  Due to floods in Chennai recently, the Seabass fry production has been delayed.  We would also add Seabass in 2 of those tanks in about 60 to 120 days from now, hopefully.  

VKN......what is being done to acclimate the fish into the system? 

Gary

They were very active and curious fish and the acclimation was easy and quick.

Here is a picture that shows the first step we do, placement of plastic bags carrying the fish in the culture tanks for temperature acclimation for about 30 minutes.  

post-4243-0-31377600-1452214936_thumb.jp

Afterwards for water chemistry acclimation, releasing them to a plastic container and slowly adding small amounts of water from the culture tank and removing equal amounts of water from the plastic container.  Then, we released the fish slowly to their new home.

Gary, that was the simple ritual we have been following to acclimate the fish into our systems.

GaryD likes this

They were very active and curious fish and the acclimation was easy and quick.

Here is a picture that shows the first step we do, placement of plastic bags carrying the fish in the culture tanks for temperature acclimation for about 30 minutes.  

attachicon.gifTurquoise Aquaponics farm 060115 (2).jpg

Afterwards for water chemistry acclimation, releasing them to a plastic container and slowly adding small amounts of water from the culture tank and removing equal amounts of water from the plastic container.  Then, we released the fish slowly to their new home.

Gary, that was the simple ritual we have been following to acclimate the fish into our systems.

VKN.....I guess I was more thinking about how you "cycle" the system.  Did you add an ammonia source (fishless cycling) or are you relying on the fish alone?

Gary

VKN.....I guess I was more thinking about how you "cycle" the system.  Did you add an ammonia source (fishless cycling) or are you relying on the fish alone?

Gary

It is cycling with fish for now.

I found that by inoculating with a suspension of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter one can 'jump-start' a 'system' in days instead of 2 to 3 weeks.  One such product available in the US is Fritz-Zyme #7.    I used this product in the ratio studies at approx. 1/2 the recommended concentration and had near immediate results.  One may be able to apply 1/4 strength and shorten the 'cycle' time to a matter of a couple days. Obviously, a source of ammonia needs be relatively immediately available to the bacteria for them to survive and multiply.  I have no idea as to what similar products may be available in India.    http://www.fritzzyme...ifying-bacteria

If you have access to a source of active, well-developed organic compost, you could also sprinkle a small handful of that into the furrows nearest the water inlet end  (the water will distribute the microbes through out bed volume).  This would likely inoculate the media with at least some of your indigenous strains of amoeba, mycorrhiza, nematodes, protozoa, etc. and accelerate development of the soil microflora.  I actually never did this myself (so isn't actually necessary) but I would anticipate that this too would 'jump-start' populating the sand with beneficial organisms.  Another possible source of inoculant is small amounts of a VERY humus-rich soil.  Don't use much, a little bit ( e.g., a couple tablespoons per furrow) is enough to get things started in the right direction.

Further to Dr. McMurtry's advice as quoted above, we are adding some organic compost.  Also identified a local source for microbes.  Here are the pictures.

post-4243-0-85411300-1452224583_thumb.jp post-4243-0-66936000-1452224586_thumb.jp

I am still contemplating whether to add these microbes or not.  No much information provided by the seller except stating that it contains cellulolytic & lignolytic microbes.  It would be great if we could hear Dr. McMurtry's take on this.

For today's lunch.. from a scoop net harvest at NARDC Nanniode. With this, small batches of staggered fish harvest begins at iAVs Project B.

post-4243-0-89772000-1452250206_thumb.jp post-4243-0-25075700-1452250210_thumb.jp

There are over 5000+ Nile tilapia fish in our Aquaponics/iAVs system, now averaging 320 grams in weight. This batch of fish were added during August 2015 at a stocking weight of 2 grams. We intend to hold them until 'Vishu' festival during April 2016 and to make the bulk harvest then.

PS: I am back to my hometown Nanniode. Turquoise Bangalore stories and updates will continue as and when I have something to share with you.

I would be talking about these three Aquaponics/iAVs systems.

iAVs Project A - one m2 three educational systems at Nanniode (100 % sand)

iAVs Project B - 120 m2 combined systems at Nanniode. (50% gravel, 50% sand)

iAVs Project C - 525 m2 independent commercial facility at Bangalore (50% DWC, 50% sand)

Hope such naming of projects is fine for the ease of reference.

GaryD and ande like this

iAVs Project D

NARDC is growing and expanding!  Adding our own 500 m2 Commercial Aquaponics/iAVs (100% sand beds) rain shelter facility at Nanniode, Kerala, India. Work began yesterday. Here is the first set of pictures.

post-4243-0-72878500-1452409049_thumb.jp post-4243-0-56825800-1452409117_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-90153300-1452409199_thumb.jp

More stories of Nanniode Aquaponics to follow.

GaryD and ande like this

iAVs Project A: Easy planting update

Cauliflowers @ Day 22

post-4243-0-23585500-1452449327_thumb.jp post-4243-0-46766500-1452449332_thumb.jp

Schmulzdecke being developed after 22 days of operation. It consists of threadlike algae and numerous other forms of life including plankton, diatoms, protozoa, rotifiers, and bacteria. (Huisman and Wood, 1974)

post-4243-0-06888700-1452449330_thumb.jp

GaryD and ande like this

Hi vkn

Thanks for you continous reports I enjoy reading about your experiments & developement on iavs in India :bow:

I thaught I'd toss in this doc/pdf    http://arizona.openrepository.com/arizona/bitstream/10150/293439/2/azu_etd_12644_sip1_m.pdf

" Management of the Schmutzdecke Layer of a Slow Sand Filter "

for those readers that are unfamiliar with the term schmutzdecke

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)
vkn likes this

Hi vkn

Thanks for you continous reports I enjoy reading about your experiments & developement on iavs in India :bow:

I thaught I'd toss in this doc/pdf    http://arizona.openrepository.com/arizona/bitstream/10150/293439/2/azu_etd_12644_sip1_m.pdf

" Management of the Schmutzdecke Layer of a Slow Sand Filter "

for those readers that are unfamiliar with the term schmutzdecke

cheers

Thank you Ande.  That was another good find by you.  In particular I liked the idea and usage mentioned in the doc of a spray nozzle wand for scouring system.  Schmutzdecke layer has not created an issue yet for us.  I observed them vanishing once the top sand surface is covered by plant canopy. Maybe I would try using one at some point in time in the future.

Hi,

As the person responsible for likening the  iAVs detritus layer with the Schmutzdecke layer (SL) in a slow sand filter (SSF), I feel should state that I have no empirical evidence to support the connection.  I sought to make this point by 'likening' it to what happens in an SSF.

The detritus layer differs from the SL in several ways:

1. In the slow sand filter, the SL is constantly submerged whereas  the detritus layer is submerged for a  few minutes in every two hour flood and drain cycle.
  2. The flow of water through the slow sand filter is continuous whereas, with the iAVs, it is intermittent.
  3. The solids loading in the slow sand filter effluent will, over time, restrict the flow of water (and the passage of oxygen) into/through the filter - necessitating maintenance.   The flow of water through an iAVs sand bed - and the gaseous exchange that occurs there - will take much longer to clog because the ridges of the furrows always remain free of detritus and algae.
  4. The iAVs sand bed is filled with plants which also impacts the removal of particular elements and compounds......where the SSF has no terrestrial plants.

Gary

Hi,

As the person responsible for likening the  iAVs detritus layer with the Schmutzdecke layer (SL) in a slow sand filter (SSF), I feel should state that I have no empirical evidence to support the connection.  I sought to make this point by 'likening' it to what happens in an SSF.

[vkn]  I did not get what you meant by saying the above lines.

The detritus layer differs from the SL in several ways:

1. In the slow sand filter, the SL is constantly submerged whereas  the detritus layer is submerged for a  few minutes in every two hour flood and drain cycle.
  2. The flow of water through the slow sand filter is continuous whereas, with the iAVs, it is intermittent.
  3. The solids loading in the slow sand filter effluent will, over time, restrict the flow of water (and the passage of oxygen) into/through the filter - necessitating maintenance.   The flow of water through an iAVs sand bed - and the gaseous exchange that occurs there - will take much longer to clog because the ridges of the furrows always remain free of detritus and algae.
  4. The iAVs sand bed is filled with plants which also impacts the removal of particular elements and compounds......where the SSF has no terrestrial plants.

Gary

Good comparison.  When algal mats gets 'out-of-hand' Dr. McMurtry mentioned about "'interrupted'/disturbed (scratched with a stick/hoe" on rare' occasion.  I look at the spray nozzle wand mentioned in the doc shared by Ande just as an another tool for scouring the system.  Gary, do you think it wouldn't help?  Of, do you anticipate a problem there?

Ash gourd in sand media culture.. new plant trial update from iAVs Project B.

post-4243-0-44311600-1452485272_thumb.jp

This one plant under trial is over 2 months. There were too many flowers but almost no fruits for some time. We made no interventions other than pruning of some suckers and male flowers. Several fruits are now being set.

Do you know of any other tricks for better fruit yields?

Good comparison.  When algal mats gets 'out-of-hand' Dr. McMurtry mentioned about "'interrupted'/disturbed (scratched with a stick/hoe" on rare' occasion.  I look at the spray nozzle wand mentioned in the doc shared by Ande just as an another tool for scouring the system.  Gary, do you think it wouldn't help?  Of, do you anticipate a problem there?

Mark's reference to dragging a stick along the furrow was not based on his experience but rather the possibility that it might be required.  He anticipated the possibility that, for whatever reason, there might be more detritus or algae than he actually experienced.

I need to take a closer look at the document, VKN.  I vaguely remember reading something about cleaning the slow sand filters but I can't remember the detail.

Mark's reference to dragging a stick along the furrow was not based on his experience but rather the possibility that it might be required.  He anticipated the possibility that, for whatever reason, there might be more detritus or algae than he actually experienced.

I need to take a closer look at the document, VKN.  I vaguely remember reading something about cleaning the slow sand filters but I can't remember the detail.

Dr. McMurtry did experience alga blocking percolation during his ratio study.  Please have a look at one of his comments as quoted below.

I will only say for now that  furrows on the BF surface WORK (great) with the minor exception of when (if) algae pop gets 'out-of-hand (certain/specific circumstances) and even then the alga-mats are easily 'interrupted'/disturbed (scratched with a stick/hoe on 'rare' occasion).  The few times I needed to mess with alga blocking percolation in/thru the furrows (mostly the smaller filters in the ratio study), that entire GH (16 filters) took maybe 10-15 min - less if in a hurry.   If you maintain active growth/ plant canopy 365, then even that would be unnecessary, ever, tmk.

GaryD and crsublette like this

Wow VKN.....most impressive iAVs projects.  I really appreciate you taking the time to document everything for the rest of world.

Keep up the good work.........mh

vkn likes this

Wow VKN.....most impressive iAVs projects.  I really appreciate you taking the time to document everything for the rest of world.

Keep up the good work.........mh

Salutes to you too, mh.. Thank you!  Ways to go..

How is your iAVs progress in Okhlahoma?

VKN,

Eating some delicious brandywine heirloom tomatoes, still trying to get everything going full bore. 

Working on gradually lowering the pH in my system, stuck @7.4 right now.  The high pH has the plant growth locked up I imagine.  The city water here in Oklahoma City, OK  USA comes out of the tap with a pH of 8.5......very frustrating.  Will be topping off with rain water as soon as I get my collection system in place.

Did a little time-lapse of the flood and drain cycles in my sand beds, you may have seen it already, but the benefit of anyone else, here's the link.

http://iavs.info/backyard/mikes-iavs/

vkn and ande like this

Dr. McMurtry did experience alga blocking percolation during his ratio study.  Please have a look at one of his comments as quoted below.

My apologies.....I stand corrected.

Announcement only:

This announcement is not for a world forum such as APN but I think it is relevant to let you know with our experiments with iAVs Project B locally.

Ready-to-Cook Fresh Fish coming soon in Palakkad!

Nile Tilapia of individual weight 250 to 400 grams can be left as such or cut before frying. Incidentally your NARDC will gladly do the cutting and cleaning for you. Afterwards, you only need to season with salt and chillies and fry in a little oil of your choice.

Picture 1 - Fresh Nile Tilapa from our Aquaponics system

post-4243-0-64582800-1452604764_thumb.jp

Picture 2 - Fish - prepared ready to cook

post-4243-0-36900100-1452604759_thumb.jp

Picture 3 - Seasoned with salt and chillies

post-4243-0-22526600-1452604762_thumb.jp

Note: NARDCs Ready-to-Cook Fresh Fish would be available only in Palakkad district, Kerala, India for starters. Fresh fish counter inquires from other parts of India are welcome!

Edited by vkn (see edit history)