vkn

Our experiments with IAVS..

708 posts in this topic

vkn,

I have just gotten my solar greenhouse "completed" as of this weekend.  Completed--in that all the Solawrap is installed and windows are set, I have a lot of misc caulking and trimming out to finish.  That has been the focus trying to beat the winter weather trying to come our way here in Oklahoma, USA.  I just harvested all of my 4-6" tilapia (I am not going to heat my fish tank) and replaced with (100) hybrid bluegill fingerlings.

post-1196-0-47403100-1447079990_thumb.jp

Those excuses in place.....my iAVs system has been trying to take off and get established.  I hope to be able to get more plants started in the next week, as of now I have only (3) heirloom tomato plants (which have several tomatoes the size of tennis balls), but I am not getting the blooms to set well.  I think it is time for the electric toothbrush since I don't have any bees to help me pollinate!

I will post soon.....want to clean up the place a bit to make sure it looks presentable.......mh

vkn, ande, TheDictator and 1 other like this

Skies are once again clear after several days of intermittent rains.

Pictured is our Aquaponics Greenhouse nearing completion at Turquoise Aquaponics farm at Hoskote, Bangalore, India.  The total plinth area of the 525 m2 GH is divided into two equal sections. One portion is for DWC operations and the second half is dedicated for iAVs sand beds. This is a pilot for hopefully the economic comparison of two systems.  Based on the first year outcome, we have phased plans to choose and scale it to our entire one acre leased land. 

Most likely we will see the Turquoise operations up and running in a few more days.  More later.

post-4243-0-59581900-1448425850_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-06259400-1448425861_thumb.jp

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)

Some of the teachers and trainers of APD (the association for people with disability) horticulture training visited us at Turquoise Aquaponics Farm, Hoskote, Bangalore.  APD is an NGO focusing on nurturing the abilities of persons with disability.

A big salute to the entire APD team for what they do helping hundreds of disabled youth in our country.

We are hiring two semi-skilled partially-disabled operators from APD to run our 525 m2 GH facility.  There will be more interns joining us from APD during harvest help or an as-needed basis.  We feel so happy associating with APD for our manpower needs.

In the background of the picture you can see our iAVs sand beds as of today that are are getting ready for flow testing.

post-4243-0-03704100-1449045398_thumb.jp

Here is to your continued success VKN and the continuation of this exciting and engaging conversation.

Jens

Our today's pick! Naturally grown vine-ripe high-quality organic tomatoes.

These are being harvested from our sand media culture beds recently started at NARDC Aquaponics, Nanniode.

No chemical fertilizers, supplements or pesticides used

Nutrients are powered by the monosex nile tilapia fish.

The only issue that we are now fighting with are the white flies..

post-4243-0-31013300-1449148690_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-02958100-1449148746_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-94824000-1449148795_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-58705600-1449148841_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-94610400-1449148884_thumb.jp

This is to make a public apology to Mr. Gary for the confusion that was caused by my post.  

Mr. Gary was right in editing some of the contents from my previous post.  For some reasons, I had missed and/or overlooked a message from Dr. Mark on this subject.  It was an error made from my from part.

I once again sincerely apologize to Mr. Gary, and the viewers of this thread, for any confusion caused due to my replies.  I requested the mods to delete those replies from this thread.  Thank you.

The posts have been removed as requested.

I am still inspired by your success with the system.  I think it should be considered a tribute to the good Dr. that his work was so well done that  it is able to be replicated  in  country far away.

Hi APN members,

All OFF TOPIC posts have been removed as per APN guidlines, VKN's request and APN Admin & Moderator discussions.

If you feel there is an issue with ANY POST, Please use the "REPORT" function at the bottom of every post.

Cheers

Joe

APN Moderator Team

Hi VKN,

Oopps... I think I may have hidden 2 pictures of a controller unit that cannot be isolated from the post they were in.

Please feel free to add those again.

On a personal note, I am loving your work.

More so, as to whom you target to realize the benefit of your work. Very inspirational.

Cheers

Joe

vkn likes this

Ravnis, Joe - thank you so much for loving what I do. 

Another season of snake gourd vegetables began yesterday.  We have been growing snake gourd in our domestic Aquaponics systems quite successfully for the last three years.

Here is some info about these snakegourds.. Four to five plants can be grown in every square meter growing area. Pandals/trellis support are to be given when the plants start vining. Vines spread to 4-5 meters area. The crop duration is about 130 days. Snake gourd produces 13-15 fruits per vine, each weighing 600 to 750 grams.  It is one of the exotic vegetables locally and has a good market value.

This produce is from an old gravel media culture bed.  I have recently made several process changes to this system and they seem to be working fine.  

First, I removed the bell siphon. The operational processes are made similar to the iAVs sand beds such as 15 minutes flood, slow but complete drain for about 24 to 30 minutes, and dry/partial-wet period of about 2 hours.  There are no crests or troughs in this system.  During flooding, the water reaches just below the one to 1-1/2 inches mark from top.  No inundation in the night.  There are red wriggler worms in this system that were added 2 years ago.  The media used is screened pea gravel of 4.75 to 9.5 mm in size.   I don't know if this could also be called as iAVs without sand being used in the system.  What do you think?

post-4243-0-43115500-1449810272_thumb.jp

Hi VKN,

Great photo.  How are snake gourds prepared for eating?

iAVs is sand.   Flood and drain gravel beds were an iAVs distortion - a very unfortunate mistake.   As for using other iAVs elements on a gravel bed - you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

The best way to improve a gravel bed is to remove the gravel and replace it with sand.

Gary

Gary, no argument on that.  

This is just another comparative field trial (our experiments with truth, the iAVs) I have embarked on to compare with what we have been doing to the original and proven iAVs technique used in the sand beds side by side.  I have several other bell-siphoned flood and drain gravel beds, constant flow gravel beds, dwc's.  This one is different, resembles quite a bit of iAVs.  

Remember one of the iAVs info goals - "Only by doing one can see a result and only by contrast may one observe a difference."

Here is a link to relish the flavor of a traditional Indian home cooking recipe (from my cooking blog.)  http://mydhaba.blogspot.in/2005/12/green-gram-dal-curried-sauce.html

ande, Toga and GaryD like this

Thank you VKN,

Indian & Dal is a staple in my home also. The family is going to love your home recipies, I can assure you !

*Salivating over the green gram dal ... is 12.30am to early to start cooking breakfast ? :wub:  :bow:

Bookmarked & Following your blog !

G'night
Joe

Thank you VKN,

Indian & Dal is a staple in my home also. The family is going to love your home recipies, I can assure you !

*Salivating over the green gram dal ... is 12.30am to early to start cooking breakfast ? :wub:  :bow:

Bookmarked & Following your blog !

G'night

Joe

Good to see you like it.  My Dhaba blog was the result of almost 5 years of efforts and time while staying in Oman doing a day job.  Please note I am not so active on my cooking blog these days, so you would not find any new posts.  

While you are there, do run over the recipe menu link.  Hope you will get what your family look for in there.  :)

"Life is a beach.  I'm just playing in the sand"  - Author unknown - 

We got some more sand to play with.  Here is an educational aquaponics system that we have been perfecting on.  Footprint per system: one square meter.  We intended to use sand media in three such systems for now.

Sand media added to the grow beds, furrows and crests made, plumbing and timer tested - found all okay today.  We would change water from the fish culture tank a few more times and will add fish by tomorrow afternoon.  

Thank you for following.  Shoot me if you have any question on this, comments, ways to make this better, or anything.

post-4243-0-25568200-1449850224_thumb.jp

Raising ornamental Koi carp in Aquaponics

We added this fish in our new trials that began today at NARDC Nanniode.

Koi are usually kept for decorative purposes. Here are some of our thoughts for choosing ornamental koi fish in these sand bed trials.

1. High value.. another profitable fish like Asian seabass suitable for culture in Commercial Aquaponics.

2. They are very hardy fish like Tilapia. They tolerate extreme pH, temperature and other water quality conditions.

3. They are well-suited for both ornamental nursery rearing or in a growout culture in Aquaponics.

4. We can easily balance the fish quantities (especially feed) as appropriate to (in balance with) the filter/plants performance.

5. They breed very well in large systems.

6. Koi are an omnivorus fish, eats anything - edible kitchen wastes, homemade or commercial koi feed, green leafy veggies, moringa leaves, etc. Good use of feed and feed ingredients locally available.

7. They also feed on azolla and lemna that can be cultivated easily using ow-cost On-farm feed production methods.

8. They eat a lot and produce more waste which is good news to have more plants in the systems. The vegetables are where the money (profitability) resides in large scale commercial operations. The fish are merely a means to that end (Organic Olericulture).

9. Another plus is you don't have to kill your fish. Good news for veganists and you are welcome!

10. Beautiful colors.. friendly personalities. Everyone likes them, especially children. They are one of the most likely fish pets in the world.

What do you think? Any koi lovers out there? How is the market value and demand for koi carp? Thank you for your attention.

post-4243-0-86363400-1449947071_thumb.jp

Ravnis likes this

Koi is a good fish ,  seen many postings of systems using Koi or other ornamental fish through the years.  My first system started with a few koi, till I could source tilapia.   Some koi seem to be harder to kill than tilapia.

vkn likes this

Easy Planting Day #1
Planted 18 cauliflower saplings yesterday evening, 6 each in one square meter sand grow beds.

post-4243-0-85925800-1450240729_thumb.jp

I, see 4 mounds with 2 plants to each mound, Total of 8 plants per tub.

how did you plant 6 plants on 4 mounds?

What are the demensions of these round tubs you are using?

Edited by Old Prospector (see edit history)

I, see 4 mounds with 2 plants to each mound, Total of 8 plants per tub.

how did you plant 6 plants on 4 mounds?

What are the demensions of these round tubs you are using?

You are right.  It is a typo error but I was unable to edit it later on.  How can I edit old posts?  

There were 8 plants per sand bed.  The diameter of these grow beds are one meter each and the depth is 14 inches.

Oh, I did not tell you the plan with these small beds.  

For now, what I added are just initial crops for the system to kickstart and running.  I plan to add our heirloom snakegourds; 4 in each bed, after a month or so.  We should be able to harvest these cauliflowers before snakegourd vines start flowering.  Snakegourds have greater rooting volumes and can stay fruiting in the system for over 6 months.  Let's see how much we can grow in these.

ande likes this

VKN,

Interesting setup!

This is so simple and should be very economical to build, nice work!

Have you experimented with iAVs with an IBC container cut into 1/3 + 2/3 (typically people use these flood & drain with gravel)..?

Keep us posted.......mh

VKN,

Interesting setup!

This is so simple and should be very economical to build, nice work!

Have you experimented with iAVs with an IBC container cut into 1/3 + 2/3 (typically people use these flood & drain with gravel)..?

Keep us posted.......mh

Mh, it is good to hear from you after a bit of gap again.  How is iAVs shaping up at your end?

IBC containers - I have been wanting to try but we do not get a brand-new IBC tote in India.   There are cheap used imported IBCs available without any literature what they were carrying in it, etc.  Not meant to scare anyone but what if they were carrying toxic substances?  Won't they leach out of the LDPE plastic over time.

VKN,

I completely agree, must know what the tote had been used for prior to growing food!

What are you the containers you have constructed of?

Regarding my system, I have gotten some flow issues fixed, so now my (2) 3' x 16' beds are getting good furrow flooding. I will be posting a time lapse video at some point during the Christmas holiday. Just got some more seeds in the sand, so looking forward to getting everything filled out and growing!!

More to come.....mh

vkn likes this